Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:41:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477705 times)
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 09, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »

100,000 views?  I thought my 6000 views on my submission was good.  Good job guys!

Thanks! I'm totally astounded myself. We're thinking about moving and starting over somewhere else at zero views, but I'm secretly hoping we'll beat out the Bootleg Demakes thread as 2nd most viewed thread on the TIGForums before we go.  Cool
Teeferbone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 09, 2008, 03:42:52 PM »

First off, I am in love with this game, but it seems you guys have been told that by a few hundred other people already, which I'm also loving. 

Mapping question -- the maps can be made with lines / walls as a single pixel line in MSPaint, and later blown up to be the proper size but can also be made to appear approximately the size they do in game?  Is this correct?  I used to make Worms World Party / Armageddon maps which used kind of the same concept and would like to make some GG2 maps. 

In the way of suggestions:

* PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the Engineer's sentry gun(s) happen!  I really think this ought to be your first priority [I loves me some engineer].  Also does his shotgun do the same damage as a scout's?  I know that in TFC (haven't played TF2) the Engi had a double barrel versus the scout's single barrel.  This might give some incentive to play engineer while the sentries are being developed. 

* Perhaps make it so users can exit a server without exiting the game -- in order to more efficiently switch between servers.

* It would be nice if servers had the ability to change maps without remaking the server, or perhaps even had an automated map-switch option after a certain amount of time or captures. 

* I'd personally love it if the scoreboard also had a deaths counter.

* Already been discussed at length, but I also think that with regards to the spy backstab > pistol and disguise > cloak.  (SIMPLE MATH!)

* I wish there was more incentive for nubs to play medics -- it seems to me that you mostly see medics in higher-populated games with experienced players willing to "take one for the team" and spam heal heavies / pyros -- then again, maybe that's always been the point of medics.  (Maybe a poisoned nailgun, or a syringe?)

* Chat system for the love of god! Or at least an emote / commands menu?

Thanks for the great game guys.

Joe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 09, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »

Cave Story needs to shoot headcrabs.
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 09, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

Mapping question -- the maps can be made with lines / walls as a single pixel line in MSPaint, and later blown up to be the proper size but can also be made to appear approximately the size they do in game?  Is this correct?  I used to make Worms World Party / Armageddon maps which used kind of the same concept and would like to make some GG2 maps.

I won't bother critiquing your suggestions; map creation specifics before any map editor or other convention as I understand them are this:

The game requires two .png images, one for the collision map that shows where players can collide with the environment in 0,0,0 black, and and empty space in 255,255,255 white. The other image is what is shown ingame. As of right now, specify to whoever adds the map to the program where intel, spawns, and resupply should be.

Maps are zoomed in 600% size. Players are approximately 6 pixels high in game. Players can reliably jump up to a platform that is 9 pixels high, Scouts can double jump about 15, and the rocket jumpers can make about 18 or 20 tops. Exploits requiring sticking to the wall are unreliable and shouldn't be required.

Ramps are most seamless to run up when they're 1 pixel rise/1 run slope. They're less sticky to jump to when they're 1 rise/3 run or longer. You can't run up a 2 pixel high block, as far as I know. How do the 2dfort_2 stairs work, does anyone know?
Chris P. Bacon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #784 on: October 09, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »

Hi.  Started an account because of this game.  It rules.  Good job! I've played this more than the original lately. ha.

Anyway, I have one small suggestion.  Can you change the mouse cursor in game to a cross hair?  In GM it's just a line of code, and such a small thing would make a big difference.

Anyway, keep it up!

Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »

Hi.  Started an account because of this game.  It rules.  Good job! I've played this more than the original lately. ha.

Anyway, I have one small suggestion.  Can you change the mouse cursor in game to a cross hair?  In GM it's just a line of code, and such a small thing would make a big difference.

Anyway, keep it up!

Hey I recognise you. You can be such an ass sometimes.
Chris P. Bacon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #786 on: October 09, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »

Hey I recognise you. You can be such an ass sometimes.

Hey I recognise you too, and right back atcha!

But really, crosshairs!

kunphuz3d
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 09, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »

Would it be possible to make an auto updater?
It shouldn't be a priority or anything, I'm just wondering.
Even if there was just a button that would check for updates... because it would be a nice addition, also i think you should have a text document for every new release, vaguely describing what you fixed/added.
Daedalus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 09, 2008, 06:41:14 PM »

have downloaded every new version since b.19 but it doesn't bother me. gives me a chance to read what's been updated.
keep up the good work fellas!

"You brought down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind" ~Terran Ghost
Teeferbone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 09, 2008, 07:09:15 PM »

Here's a map I'm working on guys. 

This would be a one flag map, at the base of the "church."  Spawns would be inside the trucks. 

I think the entrances to the underground areas might be a little too tight, opinions?

There is some borrowed material in this map so credit where credit is due:

The truck is a modified version of the one created by helltricky in his map helltricky_1.  The crate I used also comes from his map -- I liked the height. 

Alot of jumping / height measurements also came from helltricky's map as well as the default 2fort map -- which is also where the tools, map, and wheel thing came from.

(If any of you guys are bothered by my using your images I'll gladly remove them.)
Akura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: October 09, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

Wow that's a good map. Maybe a little to small? Could you make it a little more wide?
Hm... But it looks good. :D

Oh and along with the map editor, could we do custom maps too? Like, join a server and download the map then play? It would make it funner to have new maps all the time instead of just at updates..

~Akura
Webmaster of IPTBB.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 09, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »

Thats a great looking map Teeferbone, I have two comments.

One) The church in the middle is very phallic, something about the way you've curved the top... I don't know, maybe its just me but all I can see is a big penis in the middle of the map. Not there is anything wrong with that....

Two) I agree with Akura, its a bit small, maybe making the cave in the middle a bit wider, or have a big central cave for people to duke it out. I just feel like there needs to be more room in the center.

Thanks for your interest and help!  Beer!
pachuco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 09, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »

the two bunkers after the houses look like they're smiling, and the tower looks a bit phallic. def a sniper map... i'm a bit iffy on it. good work though  Beer!

edit: looks like i'm not the only one who sees the giant penis in the center of the map...  Gentleman

edit2: you know what... now that i look at it more, the windows are giving me the finger   Huh?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:49:43 PM by pachuco » Logged
Teeferbone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 09, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »

Revisions to Avanti

-Made the "bunkers" (supposed to be crypts Tongue) no longer appear to be smiley faces.
-Added windows that can be shot out of to the sides of the crypts facing the church.
-Attempted to make the church less phallic (thoughts?). 
-Modified the entrances to the tunnel.
-Expanded the center tunnel for more frag action.
-Added a new sky texture.

I wasn't planning on making the roof of the new side (wing) additions to the church walkable-onable, but it might make things a little less sniper oriented if I did.  I could alternately make some stalactites come down in the center of the cavern to prevent sniping across the whole cave.  What do you guys think?   Oh and the new lights in the caverns will be walkable.

Note: The image isn't an image of the whole map, just enough to show the changes I made.  To see the whole map look at my previous post:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2491.msg88322#msg88322

And pachuco, yes, the windows are giving you the finger.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:45:32 PM by Teeferbone » Logged
Teeferbone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 09, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »

Meh, update with minor aesthetic changes and full map picture (in original 1x size).  You can zoom in yourself -- I'm feeling too lazy to resize.  Hope you guys like.

Colored map.

Impenetrable surfaces (Will essentially be mirrored).  The off-color slant coming from the church is the potentially walkable church roof.  Would still like to know whether you guys think this should be impenetrable or not. 

UPDATE: Actually I have decided that ledge really needs to be walkable to reduce the snipe-advantage on the map, and because I think (I hope) it can potentially be accessed by rocket jumping in order to offer another route to the steeple center. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 12:12:16 AM by Teeferbone » Logged
yuG yhS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 09, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »

I must say that is one snazzy looking map.
Teeferbone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 10, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »

Thanks Smiley
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #797 on: October 10, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »

You have double pixels in a lot of places, but not in other places, and that doesn't look very good. Fix it, and it might work.

king metroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 10, 2008, 02:59:50 AM »

cool map Teeferbone, it reminds me of one of the TF2 maps i play sometimes  Smiley

i made this last night when i couldn't sleep  Roll Eyes

i used fishmatt's colours and some of his background stuff, it's based on a few of the orange maps in tf2.
Joe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 10, 2008, 04:31:39 AM »

I've been thinking about the intel problem. Why not put another intel in the spawn room where you can cap but it can't be taken?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic