Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:40:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 477664 times)
increpare
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »

Really fun game dude.  Only played a short game with one other person, but...I was impressed with the graphics/sprites/animation and the general feel of things (I usually don't like these sorts of games too much (in 2d)). I think there needs to be at least one totally flat map though, just for fun Smiley
TedJustice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2008, 12:36:22 PM »

This game is really fun, but I have some suggestions.

First of all, I know the spy isn't done yet, but from the description in the readme, I'm not really liking it.  The revolver doesn't seem like the best idea.  You should go with backstabs, since that's the most fun thing about spy.  And in addition to disguises, they need cloak, because without it, snipers can easily see them crossing the map, whether they're on top, or in the sewers.  And if you do keep the revolver, it shouldn't fire the same way shotguns do.  But I'm assuming that's just like that as a placeholder.

As for engineers, being able to build 3 sentries seems a bit much.  If you have 3 engineers vs 3 engineers, that's like 18 sentries in a single map.  If possible, I really think you should have teleporters and dispensers buildable, and just one sentry.  But that would probably take a lot of work.

Next, the errors may be hard to fix, but couldn't you at least make it so that it doesn't exit the game every time there's an error?  It's a pain to have to keep re-opening.  It could just bring you back to the main menu.

And lastly, there are some issues with teammates and firing.  I know teammates don't take any damage, but your shots shouldn't collide with them at all.  If you're a sniper and a teammate is standing in front of you, you can't shoot because it'll hit them instead.  Same with soldier, and the explosion will end up hurting you if you're right next to them.  Not only that, but Demos can send teammates flying off the screen and into places they shouldn't be able to go, with sticky bombs.  They shouldn't be able to affect teammates.  I can't count the number of times I was a Sniper on the battlements, when a "friendly" demo came and knocked me off with stickies.

Also, there's the issue of spawncamping.  I really don't think bullets should be able to pass through the spawn doors at all.  It should be like a wall that you can walk through.  I'm sure that's easy enough to do.  And another thing that shouldn't be too hard is stairs, which are really glitchy.  You should make the collision more like a ramp than actual stairs, IMO.

Other than all that stuff, it's really fun.  And I know you put a lot of work into it, but I thought I'd mention the things I found wrong with it, just so you would know.

Oh yeah, and the spawn cabinets actually working would be nice.  Also, you should have to bring the intel to the spot where your intel should be, not where your intel happens to be.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:57:23 PM by TedJustice » Logged
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »

How much is too much depends on the server's net connection. I'll make an option to set this. Also, I'm progressing with the networking overhaul. Don't expect a new (test) version today, but it might just happen if everything goes really smooth.

I know teammates don't take any damage, but your shots shouldn't collide with them at all.  If you're a sniper and a teammate is standing in front of you, you can't shoot because it'll hit them instead.

That was actually added to nerf the sniper, and apparently he is still too powerful. I'll think about it, but first things first Smiley

Next, the errors may be hard to fix, but couldn't you at least make it so that it doesn't exit the game every time there's an error?

I prefer fixing the errors. Leaving to the Main Menu is certainly an option, but staying in the running game (as demanded on /v/ by some) is not a good idea. You will in all probability only end up with more errors to click away.

Also, there's the issue of spawncamping.  I really don't think bullets should be able to pass through the spawn doors at all.  It should be like a wall that you can walk through.  I'm sure that's easy enough to do.

That should be no problem.
TedJustice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »

I know teammates don't take any damage, but your shots shouldn't collide with them at all.  If you're a sniper and a teammate is standing in front of you, you can't shoot because it'll hit them instead.

That was actually added to nerf the sniper, and apparently he is still too powerful. I'll think about it, but first things first Smiley
Oh, come to think of it, he is pretty powerful.  But that could possibly be solved by making body shots not do as much damage, while headshots do the current amount.  But then you'd have to make it distinguish between the head and the body and that would take a bit of work.

Next, the errors may be hard to fix, but couldn't you at least make it so that it doesn't exit the game every time there's an error?

I prefer fixing the errors. Leaving to the Main Menu is certainly an option, but staying in the running game (as demanded on /v/ by some) is not a good idea. You will in all probability only end up with more errors to click away.
Oh, well if you're fixing the errors anyway, then I guess it doesn't matter.  Cool.

Also, there's the issue of spawncamping.  I really don't think bullets should be able to pass through the spawn doors at all.  It should be like a wall that you can walk through.  I'm sure that's easy enough to do.

That should be no problem.
Awesome.  Also, great job again with the game.
Renton
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

Oh. Come. ON! Sniper is supposed to be powerful! He has a fuckin' 3 second reload time! Might as well just give him a water gun and call him the company mascot!

And about the suggestions. Remember that there isn't some big designer team behind this game. MedO is doing all the coding here. One man. Slow the fuck down. All will be done in time.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »

I'm blown away by the popularity this has gained, literally overnight.

I started a server about 15 minutes ago, and easily within 3 minutes we had a 5 vs 5 game. It was incredible! It was so hectic and fun. Although towards the end people found the secret character  Wink and it devolved into mere shenanigans, but it was still totally awesome.

Now there are like 4 people sitting around afk, waiting for a big match to start, so you guys should totally come and play.

Also, I'm gonna go out in a few minutes, but the server will continue to run for the day, due to its popularity.

Oh, one more thing. Anyone who has played this morning; is my server laggy? I'm trying to make sure I'm not using the internet for anything else (except seeding the competition torrent, but if it's lagging, I can stop doing that as well.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »

I am very excited to see people making new background maps and I want to do everything I can to make their lives easier.

Here are three versions of the background I did with varying levels of detail. Feel free to steal whatever you want to pretty up your map (especially the backgrounds).

Just wanted to make that resource available.

zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »

Hi. Just joined because of this awesome TF2 game you've made.   Wink

I agree that the Spy should just have a knife and cloak...as using a gun as a Spy would be boring and pointless.

Might I add, that possibly after fixing the errors with 39dll....and having all the classes sorted out etc so they are "balanced"....possibly you could do a tile-set for the maps...and then have a Map Editor for it  Grin

This little game is lots of fun I must add. Gentleman

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
Renton
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

The /v/ exposure got the game pretty popular. I just hope we don't get neck-deep in /b/tards in a week.

I fear such an occurrence may make our forums *gasp* mainstream...
Andraculoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »

I'm sorry to bring this /v/ rush down on the developers of the game,
but me and Gnat thought it would be a good idea, and it is,
you guys have done an excellent job making this game,
I believe I will be making a map sometime soon, probably in a couple minutes
or so, ill post it up here.

I fucking love you guys.
take care.
Andraculoid.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »

I think I finally have my map perfected (without the background, if fredman could add it I'd be happy).

zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »

I'd say it looks pretty good so far.

Btw, was this tested over lan at first, or actually on the net with lots of people?

Ever since /v/ has joined it, its been errors galore lol.
Lan works fine, but you have a heck-load of packets being sent in online mode.

Stuff such as packets constantly being sent for movement, when the player is standing still....thats a no no. And the epic fail is the connection back to the player, and when they leave...they are still in the match  :D

Either way, as I myself have said, and many others...keep up the good work.

Game rocks.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:00:09 PM by zephro » Logged

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

I'm sorry to bring this /v/ rush down on the developers of the game,
but me and Gnat thought it would be a good idea, and it is,
you guys have done an excellent job making this game,
I believe I will be making a map sometime soon, probably in a couple minutes
or so, ill post it up here.

I fucking love you guys.
take care.
Andraculoid.

I don't know about the rest of the people here, but while I do enjoy being Indie and underground and hip. What I enjoy more is having people play and appreciate my games. In my opinion, you have done nothing but good sharing our game with a wider audience. A good multiplayer game needs as many fans and active players as it can get to make everyone's online experience more fun. Sure, there's is always the odd douchebag who come's a'knocking, but what can you do?

Andraculoid, thank you very much for sharing our game, and for your ongoing support and participation.

Also, I threw some trees and clouds and sky behind Stefan's background and sent it over to MedO. It is also available here for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you for making this for us Stefan, I'm really looking forward to seeing more user made maps. And if anyone wants help prettying them up or anything, just let me know, I'm more than happy to help.
Renton
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »

I'm in the detailing phase of my map. It's a smallish crossfire kinda map. I just hope I got the jumping distances right.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2008, 04:32:08 PM »

You're welcome, fred! I'm glad to assist. I can't wait to play it (and other new maps from various others as well!) Smiley
Kastere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »

Another guy from /v/ here, and I have one thing to say.

Incredible.

Some of the packet problems are a little annoying, but this is V1.0, and for everything you have that's pretty incredible. My favorite classes are easily The Detonator and The Rifleman (I don't sound like a dumbass using those, do I?) but all of the other classes are great too.

Too be honest, I'm new to this, but is there any chance someone could link me to some kind of a mapmaker? I apologize if this is laughably "new" of me, but I would like to try.

Once again though, simply amazing job. Hope to see this flourish.
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2008, 05:55:33 PM »

Another guy from /v/ here, and I have one thing to say.

Incredible.

Some of the packet problems are a little annoying, but this is V1.0, and for everything you have that's pretty incredible. My favorite classes are easily The Detonator and The Rifleman (I don't sound like a dumbass using those, do I?) but all of the other classes are great too.

Too be honest, I'm new to this, but is there any chance someone could link me to some kind of a mapmaker? I apologize if this is laughably "new" of me, but I would like to try.

Once again though, simply amazing job. Hope to see this flourish.

There is no real program that lets you make maps, just use a paint program like Photoshop or Paint. And welcome Smiley
dmeskis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »

I would just like to say bravo, sir, to who ever made this. Truly awesome and addicting game. It does need some improvements though. At the moment snipers are far too powerful, the demoman's sticky bombs need to have far less knock back (there are quiet a few griefers that are laying tons of sticky bombs near the spawn and then knocking people out of the map) The heavies bullets also need to shoot straight forward instead of in an arc, like in one of the screenshots you have provided you can see a heavy taking advantage of the arc to have perfect cover. Medics also need a way to defend themselves, and maybe a little faster healing. A way to ban certain users from servers would also be great.
IDTL
Level 0

Woo.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »

I love playing this.
Thanks for making it guys. Grin
Stefan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2008, 08:00:16 PM »

Oh yea, I have a suggestion. I agree with everyone else's suggestions, but I think another addition should be people's names appearing under / over them. That way, we can tell who people are. Oh yeah, and a chatbox for speaking to everyone in the game and only your teammates (and maybe whispering to only one person).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic