Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:54:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlanet Explorers - voxel based Adventure RPG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Planet Explorers - voxel based Adventure RPG  (Read 67213 times)
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »

nice concept art, tho how can you get any work done when there are chicks running around in undies? Tongue

I feel that I can actually get more work done this way!  Kiss

FYI usually glow is rendered as a post-effect pass, and so does not costs as much as lights (but I don't know if it exists in Unity).

Yeah, but you'll also need light sources to light up the area around it, and that'll take resources. We will probably have some of the self glow elements though.

Lots of stuff were done in the last 2 weeks, first we're making progress on the voxel build placement system. This is still a work in progress, probably will be done in the next 2 weeks.

Also work is being done with the weapons/vehicle building system. This editor will include some really cool ideas, wait and see in a bit.  Cheesy

And we redid the UI to be more...futuristic.

Finally, I'm working hard on the world map, we'll probably be able to show everything together ingame in about 2 weeks (fingers crossed!), with NPCs, AI, minerals, crafting, creating, etc. We're trying to make it into IndieCade afterall.

We'll do a closed alpha in late May, I'll post a alpha signup here sometimes in mid-May.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »

This is looking really nice, I'll definitely be looking for that alpha. Hand Thumbs Up Left

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 02:45:37 AM »

Not much to say this week other than we're getting close to the alpha, and boy, all the bugs are out in force now. Still, check out the new screens.

The ocean is pretty much useless right now, we don't have time to do anything with water for the alpha, since we're focusing on ai, player controls, and building/creating. These screens will hopefully look better by next week once we add in all the elements such as ambient particles, effects, and a lot more assets.

That detach camera button is the editor, that's not gonna be in game, heh.

The alpha will only include the grassland area with a view distance of 256m, .the beta version should expanding into forest and desert areas of the continent as well as having a view distance of 1.3km with lod.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:30 AM »

Looks awesome; mix with vegetation seems really nice!

Is there some alpha test planned where we could participate ?
If so, when it is planned ? When it's done Smiley ?

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »

Looks awesome; mix with vegetation seems really nice!

Is there some alpha test planned where we could participate ?
If so, when it is planned ? When it's done Smiley ?

Thanks! The closed alpha will be later this month, hopefully. And yes, if you're interested in play testing it, just state you're interested in this thread and I'll send you an email about how to get into the alpha when the time comes.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 09:52:32 AM »

I state it loudly

IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »

I'd also appreciate a message or email when the alpha's ready  Smiley
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »

^ Ok, got you guys' names down.

Here's the logo...for now. What do you think?

Basically half of it represents nature, the other half represents human technology.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »

Nice logo, the metal/nature feeling is here and the O seems a bit like a compass.

But the "L" is not really obvious. Maybe make the L less curvy, like the angle of the root starting from the N.

Also "Explorers" could has some small details (not eveywhere) to make it more "technological" than "metal", like some bevel, or studded parts (but it's still good already)

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 06:00:29 AM »

This is amazing
All this work

i hope you'll get the success you deserve
seriously wow.

charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »

Wow, looks cool!

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2012, 08:00:10 AM »

^ Thanks guys!  Beer!

Nice logo, the metal/nature feeling is here and the O seems a bit like a compass.

But the "L" is not really obvious. Maybe make the L less curvy, like the angle of the root starting from the N.

Also "Explorers" could has some small details (not eveywhere) to make it more "technological" than "metal", like some bevel, or studded parts (but it's still good already)

Yeah, it's a compass inside a gear. I agree with the all your points actually. We're still tweaking it a bit.

This week we've been busy working towards the alpha version, or at least a version we can send off to IndieCade. There are lots of progress, also lots of new bugs. In the below images, the UI avatar images in temporary, that'll eventually be a 3D model.

Survival guide rule #1, AVOID when possible!

Rule #2, hide in holes...not this shallow though!

Rule #3, death from above?

Next week we'll show some tower defense aspects, probably with video.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »

Some more screens, balancing cannons vs ai.

The ai is getting there, but since it's a ever changing terrain, there are soooo many unforeseen problems. At a certain point, I think we'll end up saying, you know what, if the player digs a giant hole and an ai falls in and starts bouncing around...oh well.  Ninja

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 07:08:02 AM »

Butts
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 10:49:12 AM »

Butts

Undecided

Here's a new vid showing off some of the tower defense elements. We have something called a monster beacon in the game that can start a mini game of tower defense anywhere, anytime...above ground, anyway. This is still early, so lots of bugs in the video. The cannons can also hit each other at full strength currently...so that's why you'll see a bunch of them break for no reason in the video, we're working on that, heh.

There should be some strategy involved in this type of tower defense, since the player will decide the location, the shape of the walls, the materials of the walls, the placement of the cannons, etc.

We're still open for anyone interested in testing out the alpha for us in a couple of weeks, just hit me with a PM with your email address. Thanks!

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03:37 AM »

We've been working on the mission/npc system lately, but it's turning out more complicated than we originally expected. It all has to do with the follow system. We have a killzone in the game right now designed for all none-player character and objects that gets to be about 128 meters away from the player, then the object gets deleted. Weeell, this complicates our npc follow system a lot since there are ways (like build a giant box around the npc) to force the issue and get the npc deleted, which in turns causes the mission to get screwed up. 'Course, there are steps to remedy this, it's just extra work accounting for all the logical ends of actions a player might take.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »

Here's a new vid showing off some of the tower defense elements.
Don't want to be rude, but in graphical point of view, I fell like towers are a lot less final than the rest of the landscape, and lower the overall graphic quality Sad
They are not integrated at all, and in the video, they make the game feel cheap.

But the gameplay seems nice !

ollie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 05:36:57 AM »

I agree - maybe have the vine coiling around an 'L' that's in the same metallic style?

Will be keeping an eye on this
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »

I want to totally express interest in trying out the alpha.
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »

Here's a new vid showing off some of the tower defense elements.
Don't want to be rude, but in graphical point of view, I fell like towers are a lot less final than the rest of the landscape, and lower the overall graphic quality Sad
They are not integrated at all, and in the video, they make the game feel cheap.

Well, the models are sorta final-ish, but the placement and the wall textures aren't, so that might be why it looks out of place. We'll have a different look for it by alpha in 2 weeks. The placement of a cannon will eventually require 4 blocks beneath it, even for the self created ones.

I want to totally express interest in trying out the alpha.

Ok, I'll pm you in a couple of weeks!  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic