Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:07:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlanet Explorers - voxel based Adventure RPG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Planet Explorers - voxel based Adventure RPG  (Read 67204 times)
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »

Sometimes the visual treatment of the "seam" or touchpoint where two objects meet makes all the difference. Even a nice shadow can make a huge impact (SSAO definitely can have a huge impact on the feel of the environment, even though the visual difference is very subtle).

That's (one reason) why there are so many gritty games: it's easy to add in extra fluff, detail props and decals to obfuscate the corners of edges of polygons.

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »

Sometimes the visual treatment of the "seam" or touchpoint where two objects meet makes all the difference. Even a nice shadow can make a huge impact (SSAO definitely can have a huge impact on the feel of the environment, even though the visual difference is very subtle).

That's (one reason) why there are so many gritty games: it's easy to add in extra fluff, detail props and decals to obfuscate the corners of edges of polygons.

Yep, agree.

Here's the intro for the game:

It's 2D right now, we'll make it 3D if we get the chance, but frankly, that won't be for a while, heh. The ending image will probably be changed since it doesn't match up with the scene where the game starts anymore.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2012, 02:12:31 AM »

Like the intro but do feel like there could be more impact shown when the ship crashes.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »

Like the intro but do feel like there could be more impact shown when the ship crashes.

Yeah, that ending part will be changed (since it should show one lifeboat crash landing, but it seems like it's showing the colony ship crashing). It's just that none of us have time to do it, haha.

Here are some new screens of the building materials and water!

In other news, we're just going to make the alpha open to all, so watch for a link in the next week or two. We're hoping to get some sort of multiplayer structure up at the end of June.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 05:06:24 AM »

We got the new build system done, so we're really close to alpha 0.1 now. Unfortunately we're not gonna be able to get the create system up in time for this due to a personnel change (there is a version of it...but it's not that great atm).

In other news though, underground stuff:

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »

Alpha 0.1 should be out in the field next Wednesday. Everything's looking...better? This version will have about 35ish craftable items and 8-10 types of enemies. And it's free and open to all (on Desura). Alpha 0.2 should hit at the end of the month or early July.

I'm starting to be happy with our visuals, there are still some bugs with shadows and clip planes, but from a visual point of view, we're getting there. I think by next week, this build will look even better, since we finally have a noise brush for the voxel terrain editor.  Tears of Joy

Here's an image of the latest build...well, yesterday's build, so 1 day old. Ignore the stuff on the upper left, those are editor ui. If you compare to the images posted in the thread before, you'll see the difference.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »

This is looking pretty good, and the idea sounds pretty solid. Anyway, looks great! I think I'll check it out on Desura.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 07:14:48 AM »

This is looking pretty good, and the idea sounds pretty solid. Anyway, looks great! I think I'll check it out on Desura.

Thanks!

We're almost at the alpha 0.1 milestone, but soooo many bugs, haha. Especially with the mission system. Here are some screens from the latest build.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 03:10:50 AM »

More new screens from the alpha build. We somehow ran into even more bugs right before the release of the alpha version 0.1. Now the loading of vegetation data chunks can sometimes screw up and no vegetation shows up. And we also ran into a problem with players not being able to sign on to our server. Sigh.... WTF

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2012, 04:32:46 AM »

Those new screenshots are looking nice. How many different species do you have in-game now?

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:20 AM »

One of the most impressive creations I've seen in this forum.
I like the looks, the textures, the world...
 Hand Clap

Yeah.
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »

Those new screenshots are looking nice. How many different species do you have in-game now?

Thanks! The short answer is 8 ingame right now. The long answer is 27 designed and not enough! Another artist and I will be drawing up a bunch of new designs after the first alpha version comes out. Shrug

One of the most impressive creations I've seen in this forum.
I like the looks, the textures, the world...
 Hand Clap

Thanks! We're trying our best!

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2012, 09:11:33 PM »

This monster floats my boat!
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »

This monster floats my boat!

More like it'll sink it.  Corny Laugh

Here's the trailer for alpha v0.1

, the alpha should be up on indiedb shortly, whenever they authorize it. I'll post a link when they do.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 07:20:02 AM »

Looking great and like the trailer music, really helps set the atmosphere. Nice to see night also with the torch. But do feel like the character is pulling her shoulders back abit to much when standing and moving.

Impressed by the amount of work you guys have put into this and looking forward to testing the alpha Grin

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »

I just wanted to add you guys have very obviously focused on making this a REAL THING rather than just a great big gigantic pipe dream of concept art and 3D models. It's truly awesome to see how fast this is coming together into a tangible reality.

Keep going!
WhiskeyBiscuit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:50 AM »

The alpha is waiting to be authorized here http://www.indiedb.com/games/planet-explorers/downloads/planet-explorers-alpha-v01
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »

Looking great and like the trailer music, really helps set the atmosphere. Nice to see night also with the torch. But do feel like the character is pulling her shoulders back abit to much when standing and moving.

The trailer music is The_Elven_Legacy, I bought it from neosounds.com (which is a great place to find music, though it's not that cheap). I was gonna use our own, but I want to save it for the full story trailer...a few month down the line, heh.

That dark part is actually in a cave, day/night cycle won't be in until 0.3. And I agree with the animation part, we just don't have time to fix yet that since we keep adding new models.

I just wanted to add you guys have very obviously focused on making this a REAL THING rather than just a great big gigantic pipe dream of concept art and 3D models. It's truly awesome to see how fast this is coming together into a tangible reality.

Thanks! That means a lot. The whole team's been working really hard on this.

Thanks for stealing my thunder dude!  Epileptic But yeah, this link is now live. Please try it and tell me you can log on to the server (if not, we have to update the build to one without the log on).

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »

Downloading now! Suitably hefty =)

EDIT: Okay! I played for a little bit. I've always found it most useful when other devs give me stream-of-conciousness impressions and ideas so here goes! Take it all with a great big tablespoon of salt and ignore as desired:

- intro feels great
- would like if the main narrator had a voice filtered by static
- need tooltips on the inventory slots; i was able to figure out what they were but was totally mystified at first
- button layout is hard to grok on character creation screen; i had to hunt quite a bit for the "OK" button; not sure why the EYES/BODY/etc. buttons are on both sides of the screen
- love the spaciousness of it
- sound effects, running animation are great
- no obvious way to turn (mouselook?) when not in first-person
- mousewheeled into first person and played that way because of it, I might play third person though if I could look around myself
- not enough feedback on some gameplay options; when I harvest I need to be told that I harvested. I think it's ok that there's no animation but it would be good to see +2 wood or something
- I did like that there were tooltips on the items themselves
- I was able to figure out the health bar, but the other two bars looked like one should be stamina but didn't seem to drain; maybe the other would be energy or magic-like equivalent, mostly I expected stamina to drain as running, due to the main characters breathing
- breathing sfx were great!
- I figured out that "R" was to toggle running; again some simple feedback would be great on this
- love the minimap, made immediate sense, the UI graphics likewise work great for the theme
- impostors pop too late for big objects; I think you maybe have your impostors changing based only on the distance, when it needs to take distance and object scaling both into account. obv. you are aware of this already no biggie!
- getting chased by dinosaurs is fun. i definitely feel like I'm needing to find items, and survive first
- I moved the healing item into an inventory slot and it seemed to heal me, but I wasn't sure why that was i.e., did I active it or was it automatic, or did I just start to heal b/c by then I had run back to the ship
- maybe some kind of forcefield or safe zone around the ship? explicit? I def felt like running back there when injured
- couldn't see anywhere that i had collected resources, even once I figured out to equip the knife and attack trees with it (I could tell I was getting resources, just not really sure how to look at them in my inventory/etc.)
- music is great and adds to the spaciousness

OKAY! I know most of this you are probably like, "arrgh I know this is already planned" =) but maybe even if in there is 1 or 2 useful things I'll feel good. I didn't get into the building mechanics that I saw on the trailer yet, but I'll definitely play this again and try that.

I am really excited for this game, it's really coming together. The only reason I mention all these things in terms of stuff it doesn't do is because I figure that's what will be most useful to you!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:48:22 PM by PsySal » Logged
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05:38 AM »

Wow, thanks for the detailed impressions PsySal.

- I think you didn't talk with the lady sitting right there, she's suppose to be the early guiding hand for this game, so to speak. But the tips for the inventory slots will be added in probably by v0.3.

- The entire character creation section will change, the current one is a relic from earlier this year. The left side are actually for clothing and hats that you might already have...it's more for multiplayer.

- Press F to look around (the lady will explain, haha)

- You should be able to see the material numbers increase in the items list or if you have it in the shortcut bar. But I think showing it by the action is a good idea, so we'll probably implement that.

- The stamina and hunger bars are not working yet. They will work...once we implement MEAT. Which will be the currency of the game...yes, actual meat.  Well, hello there!

- Yeah, some large objects pop up late...we're going to look into this in the shader for the next build. We're adding collision for trees as well as different amount of wood with the difference in size.

- The red tube healing item is actually over a period of time.

- Press the right mouse button on an item executes it, btw, including equip.

- The safe zones are in the plans, not implemented yet. But the start of the game will feel unsafe anyway. heh.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic