Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:54:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda  (Read 27304 times)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »

I had forgotten how much a pain it is to fight Gleeok with a wooden sword. The Magic Shield isn't even any help.

Maybe I'll just sit this one out after all. The gamecube controller is pretty terrible and I don't feel like hunting down a different copy just to have a better d-pad.

You are fighting Gleeok with the wooden sword? By that point in the game you should have already acquired the white sword, which would make that particular battle a lot easier. I have to agree on the GameCube controller, though. While possible to play using that input, it is definitely not the preferred method. The D-Pad on the GameCube controller had horrible placement.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »

Sorry - Second Quest. Gleeok's in the second dungeon, though I had forgotten about it.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »

Sorry - Second Quest.

Ah, right. Yeah, the second quest is absolutely brutal. No easy way around anything there.
Uykered
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2012, 12:42:35 AM »

Does anyone know any top-down games like Zelda except with an emphasis on fighting enemies and not on puzzles/NPCs/villages/dialogue/grinding? I only know of Nazo no Murasame Jo, but surely there are more?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »

Guardian of Paradise is pretty good.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »

Beat level 5.  Those blue knights are a huge pain.  They were tough even though I had the blue ring and the ghost sword.  Compared to them the boss was super easy.  What's up with bosses being a piece of cake in this game?

I've beaten everything but level 7 and 8 now and I've found and started on level 8 (got the book) so I guess it's back to level 8 for me and then I'll go and try to find level 7.  I think I have a good idea where it's at.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »

Sorry - Second Quest.

Ah, right. Yeah, the second quest is absolutely brutal. No easy way around anything there.

on either quest you can get the white sword without ever entering a dungeon pretty easily

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »

Beat level 5.  Those blue knights are a huge pain.  They were tough even though I had the blue ring and the ghost sword.  Compared to them the boss was super easy.  What's up with bosses being a piece of cake in this game?

the thing about darknuts is that you should use bombs on them; don't rely on just the sword. a single bomb can clear a whole room of them if you use it at the right time, and they leave bombs pretty frequently so unless you have like 2 bombs and need to save them use them on darknuts

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »

Does anyone know any top-down games like Zelda except with an emphasis on fighting enemies and not on puzzles/NPCs/villages/dialogue/grinding? I only know of Nazo no Murasame Jo, but surely there are more?

illusion of gaia
terranigma
soul blazer
alundra
the ys games
crystalis
guardian legend
lagoon (has some grinding)
blood omen: legacy of kain

there are tons more, that's just a start

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »

edit:  Found the wand and beat level 6.  I imagine this is the item that the book helps although I don't know how because I never saw it before getting the book.  Level 6's boss was so easy compared to the rest of the dungeon.  After beating level 6 I'm allowed to pick up the new sword so that's cool.  Now I'm off to go buy that shield and beat level 5 then 7.  Also I found what looks like a croissant in the over world.  I am told by the instruction manual that it is the power bracelet but I haven't found anything I need it for yet.

the power bracelet can push some types of rocks on the overworld; but only certain ones, not other ones that look exactly like those; so just try pushing random rocks i guess; there's one you can push very close to your starting position on the worldmap (like within two screens of it)

the wand was the item, yes; the wand doesn't create fire if you don't have the book

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

^ Also, the rocks only push up and down for some odd reason.

And personally, I use the terrain when fighting the Blue Knights - they stay exactly on the tiles, and can't walk "into" a block, so you can always stab them as they pass beside them from around the corner, and you can reach upwards *through* the block, and stab them on the other side. Bombs are a great backup, which I get equipped, but I usually only use them if I'm getting surrounded or cornered by them, to back them off.

I think second quest should be done; it actually adds more gameplay elements not explored in the first quest; and is REALLY where the game/design shines. I'm just waiting for other players to get there. Meanwhile, I think I'm gonna crawl through a game of The Binding Of Issac today.

Spoiler-but-not-really: You know how dungeons 7/8/9 are all hidden locations? In 2Q, now that's EVERY DUNGEON EXCEPT LEVEL 1. It's ALL about tearing up that overworld, now.  Well, hello there!

kukukupo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »

Wow.  I had forgotten about Crystalis.  That game was amazing.  I'm going to fire it up this afternoon.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2012, 11:04:58 AM »

FYI: alastair is not actually interested in having his question answered... he's just trying to make a point about pure action games being superior to games with all those other things he mentioned.

Seriously, the only way it could be more thinly-veiled is if he replaced "Nazo no Murasame Jo" with Shock Troopers or something.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

If you're going to ask a rhetorical question, you'll have to do a lot better than that to make it clear.

And everything on Paul Eres list I would second anyway.
Uykered
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »

lol Derek I wasn't trying to make a "point" at all, I'm genuinely curious as I wanted to play a Zelda game but am not a fan of their puzzles or the later games dialogue. I don't have much experience in games like this.

I only heard about Nazo no Murasame Jo yesterday (which seems similar), but was hoping there would be more recent games.

Thanks for those games Paul!
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »

How do I advance in this game? Are there any tricks to it? Most of the time I just wander around for a couple screens then end up dying, then have to re-start again. I feel like there's something I'm missing.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »

you advance by finding new items and more heart containers; if you die you start with the items you collected. if you're dying without finding anything, like dying on octorocks or something, remember that you do *not* need to kill every enemy you see. it's best to avoid enemies for the most part, just go from screen to screen while avoiding them, rather than trying to constantly fight

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »

Use the map or instruction manual (both came with the game) to find the first dungeon's if you want.  They are linked to in the first post here.

This made the game a lot more fun for me.

Also dungeon 8 is going well, I'm almost on the boss, I have the big key now.  I got lost and wandered around for a while which meant I fought the same set of knights a bunch which was annoying but oh well.

I think now if I just go get a potion and run to the boss room I should be good...

dungeon 8 done, now off to find dungeon 7
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:57:17 PM by dustin » Logged
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »

This is how nonlinearity is done.  Wizard Bro Fist Right Bro Fist Left Tiger

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »

How do I advance in this game? Are there any tricks to it? Most of the time I just wander around for a couple screens then end up dying, then have to re-start again. I feel like there's something I'm missing.

Er, do you have the sword? Check out the cave on the first screen! Sorry for spoilers...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic