Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:13:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadGame ClubTIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Legend Of Zelda  (Read 27287 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »

o that one -- i guess that's not cheating but i wonder if the japanese version had that or if they just added it for stupid americans

but yeah i *think* i used that map too the first time, but it's hard to remember since it was back in 1987/1988

Theophilus
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »

Second dungeon defeated. Was there an item I was supposed to get there?
kukukupo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »

Use the map.  The game used to come with these things called 'manuals' and 'maps'.  Dragon Warrior I-IV used to come with TONS of maps/charts/etc.  For other games graph paper was your best friend and you made maps as you went.

The first quest shouldn't be too hard. The second play through of the game the maps are useless, however.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »

The map is absolutely no use whatsoever in beating the game because it doesn't show you where the useful stuff is hidden.

I totally agree that dudes that have beaten the game should seriously hold off their spoilery comments. I want to watch the new players enjoy this going in blind! That's the proper way to play a game like this.

Naturally, if you get totally stuck I'm open for hints via PM.

The item in dungeon 2 is an upgrade to an item you already have. It's optional, but really useful and you should get it. All dungeons have at least one item in them.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »

you can get an item there if you kill a certain enemy, but it's optional (you can beat the game without that item)

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 06:52:34 PM »

I'm also unclear what item I got there.  At first I thought it was bombs but now I realize I got them from a random blue enemy.  I might go back and look again (I did the second dungeon first so I could have easily missed something)

edit: just went back and found what I missed, bombs was not the new item Smiley

Use the map.  The game used to come with these things called 'manuals' and 'maps'.  Dragon Warrior I-IV used to come with TONS of maps/charts/etc.  For other games graph paper was your best friend and you made maps as you went.

Yeah I'm having fun filling in the map with my own notes about where helpful things are.  I remember liking this kind of thing when I was little, and it's so much more satisfying than the recent attempts like the ds zeldas and Etrian Odyssey (although they were both fun)

edit:
just beat level 3, I keep thinking I'm done for the day but then going back for more.  Exploring around filling in my map is really addicting and the dungeons are all short enough that when I find one I want to finish it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:27:59 PM by dustin » Logged
Theophilus
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »

Beat dungeon three... went back and got the item. those orange knights are a real pain. I love the graphics for them though, they're very nice.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 08:32:59 PM »

yeah the orange knights suck, although they did help teach me how useful bombs are.  They seem way better then in the other zelda games possibly because you can't blow yourself up with them?
I've also just finished dungeon 3 and am really curious what the raft does.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »

THE BIG LIST OF FDS DIFFERENCES (or what I have so far)
* The title screen's music takes advantage of the FDS's extra sound chip.
* Also the death loop music uses the FDS's instrument, so it sounds a bit tinnier.
* All of the music in-game (overworld, dungeon) goes unenhanced, though...
* The actual death sound is different, too. Sounds more like Metroid's.
* THE BOMB SOUND IS AMAZING AND MAKES THIS VERSION SUPERIOR BY FAR! It doesn't even sound like a bomb! It sounds like spring-loaded farts!
* Enemies now let off a little scream when they die, which sounds kinda like a record scratch. Brings a bit more F☮U☮N☮K to the mix, if you ask me.
* The boss growls make you want to tear your own ears off.
* The recorder now uses a flute-y sound courtesy of the FDS chip.
* Load times for entering/exiting a dungeon are significantly longer.
* All of the dialogue in-game is in katakana, of all things. Can't comment on the translation because my knowledge of Japanese is pathetic and largely consists of anime-isms other TIGers say. So I didn't even bother trying to read them, because I'm fairly sure the old man doesn't think I'm kawaii~.
* All of the old man text (and the like) is justified to the right. Odd.
* The font for the English words is noticeably thinner.

Oh yeah, the big thing. The weird thing about the FDS add-on is that the floppies that the games come on are double-sided. So you can fit it double the game. But the downside is that you occasionally have to take the disk out and flip it in-game. Now, when you load up Zelda, you get the nice title screen and plot summary just like you do in the NES version. However, none of the buttons work. What you're supposed to do is, immediately after starting the game, take the disk back out and flip it to the other side. Now granted, this is probably a common FDS thing, and it isn't a problem unless you're functionally illiterate (like me), but it's interesting nonetheless.

As for my actual progress, currently I have 6 of 8 triforce pieces. I'm missing the ones for levels two and eight; eight is unlocked but undone because I've had enough for today, and I can't even find the freaking entrance for level two. I remember it being painfully obvious the first time I played this game too, which makes it all the more irritating. As for items, I think I got a pretty decent setup; all but one overworld heart, the first bomb DLC, gave away my meat. Still missing the big boy shield and the Book of Mormon, and I think I now have enough hearts to get the scimitar...

Current inventory (hidden for spoilers and stuff maybe)

Oh, and 25 deaths too, but whatever.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:02:17 PM by Noah! » Logged
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »

I totally agree that dudes that have beaten the game should seriously hold off their spoilery comments. I want to watch the new players enjoy this going in blind! That's the proper way to play a game like this.

But part of the fun for Zelda back in the day was swapping stories with your friends about the progress you had made, and finding out secrets in the game. A lot of secrets in older games are fairly arbitrary. There can often be satisfaction in running across them on your own. But sometimes they are just so obtuse that it really does help to have someone clue you in.

I would imagine that MOST players heard about the 7th dungeon's entrance from their friends.
Ashkin
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 09:58:02 PM »

Just started playing. Wandered around blind, got frustrated at a zora because IT WOULDN'T DIE. I've been drawing a small map of the areas I visit for fun, but I'd like some help on where to go first.
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 10:06:25 PM »

I can't get the game to work, whenever I try to open it just says "Game Pak Error: Turn Power Off." I'm using the Visual Boy Advance emulator, but if there's a better emulator to use for this game then feel free to tell me.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »

Maybe use an nes emulator with an nes rom. I started playing it through today and I beat the second dungeon. I got the powerup but I'm not sure what upgrades it actually makes.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 10:29:28 PM »

But part of the fun for Zelda back in the day was swapping stories with your friends about the progress you had made, and finding out secrets in the game. A lot of secrets in older games are fairly arbitrary. There can often be satisfaction in running across them on your own. But sometimes they are just so obtuse that it really does help to have someone clue you in.

I would imagine that MOST players heard about the 7th dungeon's entrance from their friends.

yeah but your friends probably hadn't beaten/speed-ran the game 100+ times

the idea is to have what you said but from people who havent played it a million times

edit: i beat the third dungeon, finally. bombs are the best item
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:44:00 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »

edit: i beat the third dungeon, finally. bombs are the best item

Bombs are usually a favorite for beating the boss of the 3rd dungeon. You can beat him with just the sword, but it is bloody hard. If you place a bomb just right...it is possible to kill him with only one.

I've never speed-run Zelda, never really saw the point. I do enjoy playing the dungeons in different orders, and seeing how far I can go without using any keys. I'm +13 keys after the 5th dungeon, and haven't bought a single one. One thing I've never done is the fabled sword-less victory. Apparently it is possible to beat the game without ever getting the sword.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »

Just started playing. Wandered around blind, got frustrated at a zora because IT WOULDN'T DIE. I've been drawing a small map of the areas I visit for fun, but I'd like some help on where to go first.

On the opening screen, there should be a cave in the upper left. Try that one. Wink

Okay, so I get that I may have mentioned stuff I'd gotten and right around when, but I don't believe I mentioned where I found anything, aside that one secret in the brown woods. For instance, I mention finding heart containers and the white sword before L1, but I never say where or how! If there's anything in my run that you think *should* be spoiler'd, let me know now so I can fix it.

I do think it's important not to spoil the frustration regarding Level Ate though, because it goes to prove that even a seasoned pro at the game can get tied up and frustrated in a couple of tough spots. Sometimes you really do just have to grunt through.

EDIT: It's not possible to beat the game without the sword, just to get to the final boss that way. That's as far as you'll get.

Ashkin
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:10 AM »

Got to the first dungeon and obtained the bow (and the boomerang, prematurely...) but I can't swap to the bow in the subscreen. I press start and then use the left/right keys, but the cursor doesn't move. I'm emulating it with NEStopia.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »

You need arrows to use it, that's why. Wink

Once you discover the arrows icon, you only need to acquire them once - from then on you can shoot arrows, but each shot will cost you one rupee. They're pretty useful in some pinches, but you can't just spam them like crazy either.

Optional tip:
Experiment with them in crowded screens, like those with 6 or more fairly weak enemies around.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:24:35 AM by baconman » Logged

PowRTocH
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 02:34:59 AM »

I can only find the first dungeon and weird old men speaking broken english

I also have what looks like a map, and I'm supposed to give it to the old woman.
PowRTocH
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »

It's dangerous to go alone, take these:

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/997/zeldamap1.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7972/zeldamap2.jpg

(They're the ones that came with the game.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic