Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:58:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Covers (of any media) without title
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Covers (of any media) without title  (Read 1594 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:01:43 PM »

For instance:

(I find them really interesting but I can only find them on music. Are there covers like these in video-games, for example?)

leonelc29
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »

i don't think it will be very eye catching if a game cover without title or any word were on shelf. it would probably get ignored.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »

If anything a game cover without text would be very eye catching to me due to being uncommon. :p
But yeah, I can see it being confusing.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »

Oh, remember those really old atari games? They used to have super beautiful cover art and then the character in the game was just a bunch of pixels. XD
It was also true to the 8bit sega and nintendo systems.

Master of all trades.
leonelc29
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »

It need some special trick to get the title-less game cover interesting, like people can pullout a piece of paper that stick out from the side of the box, and form a complete cover art, or anything like that. It need effort to design such cover art, but i bet the end result will be very interesting. No hope though, since it's all about digital distribution nowadays. Developer will just put their effort and time into their game than special cover art.
Kevin
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:00:38 AM »

I don't mind a game's logo being on the cover; generally, they're intentionally incorporated into the artwork, and a well designed logo can be just as visually appealing as anything. What I hate, though, is the abundance of obtrusive and obnoxious secondary icons and logos they cram onto these things, usually over top of the cover-art proper. Most ps3 games, for example, have (at least) a giant "only on PlayStation" banner, a Sony logo, the developer's logo, the publisher's logo, the ESRB rating, a "move compatible" banner, and PSN icon.These are usually reprinted on the back and, to a lesser extent, the spine as well. It's something that bugs me way more than it should because, done right, package design is one of my favourite things (is that weird?).

I get the purpose behind/need for some of these logos, but what I'd like to see is a move towards printing this stuff on the shrink wrap, or an insert or something. Best of both world, y'know?

Anyway, rant over. ♥
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »

Yeah, I also dislike these logos. I saw a long time ago on Kotaku the MGS4's German cover and it looked if Snake was being attacked by all that bureaucratic stuff, lol.
To be clear I don't mind if a cover has or has not the title on it, both can lead into different yet beautiful artworks. I was just curious if there was more examples of the later.

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »

any movie cover from drew struzan is going to be fantastic

Lo
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »

Kiss