Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411862 Posts in 69424 Topics- by 58469 Members - Latest Member: AuroraMaster

June 03, 2024, 09:28:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLinux Indie Games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Linux Indie Games  (Read 5836 times)
Ragzouken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 05:42:59 AM »

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:10:06 AM by Ragzouken » Logged

postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 02:13:15 AM »

Not to forget TeeWorlds

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 06:25:20 AM »

"I posted spam on TIGS and all I got was this giant wiener."

EDIT: Oh crap, now the post this refers to is gone and I look like an idiot. Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:53:51 PM by muku » Logged
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 07:32:55 AM »

DOSBox seconded. Been playing Syndicate lately in ubuntu. But that's not indie. You should definitely try out wine too, I was playing Dwarf Fortress not too long ago with that.

Off the top of my head:

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 08:38:59 PM »

I had this linux gaming phase where I was trying to reconcile the practical and impractical things I use a PC for. Honestly, linux gaming is pretty awful and it's got nothing like the indy scene. Most the games are just clones or uncreative technical shows. On the plus side, I imagine most indy games will run under wine.

There are a few good games I'll admit. You should get jumpnbump (it should be on your package manager) and sokoban is pretty fun too before it becomes impossible. If you like puzzle bobble then frozen bubble is penguiny clone.
gnawingonfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 04:08:20 AM »

I'm a recent Ubuntu convert too, and I've mostly been playing Caravel Games' DROD series.  The games come with a price tag, but they're very much worth it.  King Dugan's Dungeon is the first in the series, and there's also an older freebie version (Architect's Edition) of it somewhere on Caravel's website.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 04:34:10 AM »

My favourite Linux games are Cube 1 and Cube 2. Mostly Cube 1 because its more "bright" than Cube 2 (which is truly awesome from a technical POV but IMHO Cube 1 looks more consistent ... and bright). I should note here that my favourite genre is FPS and my favourite flavor of FPS is the mindless one. Cube games are a perfect fit for my needs :-).

~bs~
gnawingonfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

Here are a few more Linux games with a price tag.  I haven't played all of them because I'm still n00bunutu and can't get figure out how to get half of them installed.

Eschalon: Book I (GameTunnel Page) is an indie RPG that seems to have gotten quite a number of positive reviews and awards

On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One, the Penny Arcade game, is also available for Linux.  I tried to get the demo to work on my computer, but I had no clue what I was doing and wasn't able to get anywhere.

Kamyran's Eye 2 is a Java roguelike that runs in Linux.  I don't know a whole lot about roguelikes in general, but I found this to be quite intuitive and much more approachable than most others.  (I actually enjoyed the game *and* knew what I was doing.)  So far as I know, it is only sold through Manifesto Games.

One of my favorite indie devvers, Puppy Games also has a number of great Java arcade-ish games that are available for linux.  The developer doesn't brag enough about how awesome the games are on his website, so don't take his modesty for a lack of quality.
  • Puppytron is a beautiful take on Robotron.  It's not as flashy as all the Geometry Wars-inspired games, but it is still a blast to play.
  • Titan Attacks (GameTunnel Page) got lots of attention and some awards.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.
  • Droid Assault I haven't yet gotten around to playing, but I think it's supposed to be some remake of an old C64 game.

Then there's also Sillysoft, who have a series of Risk-like strategy games called Lux.  Not particularly my thing, but worth checking out.

increpare
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:53 PM »

Let's not forget passage and it's kin as well (i don't think they've been mentioned yet).
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »

I seem to remember Neverball being a good laugh. If you like Super Monkey Ball, of course. It was very polished and professional when I last played it, which was two years ago Tongue

Also, I believe it's in the Ubuntu repos somewhere Smiley

olücæbelel
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic