Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:36:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeYour company name..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Your company name..  (Read 23846 times)
Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:54:04 AM »

How did you come up with it, and does it have a special meaning or fun story behind it?

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »

Is this a question towards the tigsauce staff?

jonthu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:26:02 AM »

I think it's question for all indie developers out there..
Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »

I think it's question for all indie developers out there..

Yes, sorry for not being clear enough. It is a question for all devs..

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:10:49 PM »

I came up with Kimera Studios as a corruption of Chimera, since it's pronounced the same, y'see? Gentleman

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Menace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »

I came up with Kimera Studios as a corruption of Chimera, since it's pronounced the same, y'see? Gentleman

=)

If it will get the ball rolling I can go first.. Here's a bit copy-pasted from our site:

About our name:

Kimera - a derivation of the English 'Chimera' and Danish 'Kimære'. Pronunciated: Kee-me-ra.

When looking for a name for our company name we tried to come up with something that describe us and/or our vision and dreams. A chimera is a grotesque fable animal, but the word is also used in modern science (gene mutation) and also encompass mental illusions. Monsters, Mutants and Fantasy. All the good stuff in one little word!

Dennis Hansen
Project Leader
Kimera Studios
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

Mine is RPGCreations -- originally meant RPG-Creations but we later changed it to mean Radical Poesis Games & Creations after we decided that we wanted to make games in genres other than RPG.

However, I'm considering changing it again because it still gives off the impression that we focus on RPGs.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »

Well, let's see - round the time I was studying for my third year uni exams, I was working on this RPG in my spare time. I didn't really have time to work on it properly and I'm terrible at naming things, so I ended up calling it "Project Distraction". After my exams I worked on it a bit more; ended up doing loads of work on the engine, and then ended up using that engine on a load of different projects - hence distractionware Smiley

These days distractionware doesn't mean a whole lot though - I've scrapped the engine completely at this stage, so it's just a word to associate with whatever I'm working on. Should probably come up with something new...

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »

Copied and pasted from my site:
Who is Cymon and why are they Cymon’s Games?

Cymon is the robot you see illustrating the website and a few of the programs. Cymon is a personification of my own computer. As I drew the character it developed depth, a back story, and a name, Cy-man, which eventually became Cymon. I had the idea at one time of saying the games on the website were to be run on Cymon, hence Cymon’s Games. The name kinda stuck.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 06:32:26 PM »

from another topic:

my company is ISAmedia. it's not a very good name but it has a lot of history behind it. I was first "Idiot Studios" which was a terrible terrible name but it was just joking around anyway, then i joined with a buncha friends and became "Idiot Studios Alliance" or "ISA". eventually we disbanded, but the name stuck, so I took the acronym and slapped on a "-media" to make it seem like it's not actually an acronym.
medieval
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 08:19:25 AM »

MediYama Games

Because my last name is Yamada, and, well, then there is medi just stuck in the front. Cool
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 11:33:58 AM »

I actually came up with "Theta" before I made the R-Theta series.  I just like the Greek character θ!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »

I've haven't actually made a game yet, but I've a name for when I do.
Way back when, my brother and I got it into our heads that we wanted to make a videogame console of our own, one even better than the yet unreleased but highly anticipated "Dreamcast". It was going to make us millions. We were going to call it the Dimension. It was going to be pyramid shaped. Eventually, we grew away from and out of that notion, but we still wanted to make games, so our studio was going to be called Dimension Games. Then we realized there was a film company called Dimension Films and we wanted no confusion, so I came up with the name BloodWare. Then google turned up that bloodware was where you had to donate blood to get something. And that's kind of creepy. By this time my brother sort of didn't want to make games anymore. But dimension and bloodware are such cool words, how about I use both? Dimension Bloodware. Yeah. I called my imaginary company that for a while, but it was too long, so I just shortened it to Dim Blood, and that's what I've settled on. Even though I still haven't made a game. And I don't really have a company either. Or even a studio. So I guess I don't really have a company name. But if I did that's totally what it would be.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »

If I make a game it will be under the alias of "Thundertainment". If nobody has taken it already  Gentleman
Jrsquee
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

If I had a company, I'd call it Awesomecorp!
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »

I have several names, but the only one i used to make games under so far is Slashstone, which is made of Slash and Stone. Slash comes from Slashdot and Stone is random (basically i was living in a very old house with some sort of a garden at that point, so stones were something common for me). Unfortunatelly Touchstone uses a logo i would like to use (a slashed stone or something - basically a slashed circle), which i didn't knew when i registered that name. A year later i discovered that the name wasn't easy to pronounce correctly (most people heard slashtone), something i also f*d up with another -lost- name i made (Hourgames, which sounded like Ourgames).

These days i came up with a new name, Runtime Terror, which is the coolest one and i've just registered it for releasing my FPS game under this label (i'll keep Slashstone around for webgames and my email..). The story behind it is that i was playing Doom 3 and at some point the game crashed and i've got a message about a 'Runtime Error' and that was a 'lamp above the head' point. I Googled for Runtime Terror, found nothing, the domain was available, so i decided to use it as a label for my downloadable games :-).

~bs~
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »

Reactor Products - err, I don't know totally. Back then there were a huge amount of finnish game makers who used clickteam products to create (very horrible) games. I dreamed that I'd like to be like them someday. Every of them had a very epic company name, like Blue Storm Productions, and I came with my own. I should really change it, even my homepage looks nothing like the name says :D

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 01:09:15 AM »

Not really a company name, but I'm currently using mjau panda (.com) for my small crappy games.  Website is a tad unfinished at the moment though.  Anyway, I wanted it to be just mjau, but of course being a 4-letter common word (in norwegian) all of them are taken.

I've no idea where mjau comes from.  I just like the sound of the word, I guess.  It's also the sound cats make, and those are kinda nice despite making me sneeze and such.  It's also related to the Mjaumjau comic strip by jason.  I'm unable to find a link apparently, but here's a drawing in his style (actually more of a clone, but eh):

Panda comes from this little guy which I drew on a whim one day on a web imageboard created by some guys as an entry for some previous Ludum Dare (#7 or 8, I think?).  This first drawing evolved into a platform mockup animation collab with multiple mostly bloody outcomes for some reason (and a couple nsfw ones Huh?, oh the wonders of anonymous image posting on the web), but he's a peaceful guy really.  Maybe making a platform game with him some day.

I've also got weretree.com, mostly used for e-mail and file storage.  You know a joke's gone to far when you register a domain named after it.

If I ever do some bigger games, they might get released under Rastersplit Games.  I like the sound of it, and rastersplits are one of the reasons I really got into coding back on the C64, because it made me realize what it was possible to do with assembly.  Without that I might not be coding today.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:15:22 AM by mjau » Logged
Biggerfish
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »

Of course, I haven't finished anything yet, but something along the lines of "Mech-Raptors Inc." or "Deathbear Corpseblood Ltd." would be suitable.
Corpus
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 01:03:30 PM »

I don't have any games finished to use a company name on, but I own hirsute-soft.com.

I don't know if I like that name any more, though. It might be shitty. I can never tell, with names I've thought up.

Anyway, it's Hirsute because, um, it's a cool word. Also, I don't have a beard, but I want to trick people on the internet into thinking that I do.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:28:42 AM by Corpus » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic