Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411979 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 15, 2024, 08:02:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingYeti Hunter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Yeti Hunter  (Read 2866 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »

YETI HUNTER
Yeti Hunter is a Vlambeer game about hunting Yetis, music by the amazing Kozilek.

Us showing the game at Fantastic Arcade a while ago.

wasd to move, rmb to scope, lmb to shoot
walk up a tree to climb it
control to crouch/climb down trees
shift to run
r restarts (I think)

Getting some feedback would be nice, haven't really done anything like this before.

Enjoy and don't shit your pants!

leonelc29
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:20:42 AM »

Enjoy and don't shit your pants!
i did, since the first day this came out.

ohh, anyway, day to night transition can be nicer, because the transition now is like, poof! night. and i though it's yeti approaching.
Yrgkala
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:27:24 AM »

Thoughts:
* fun, atmospheric, a philosophical game on the meaning of compasses and what the world would be like without them
* I did not meet any yetis and did not think they exist until seeing one in your youtube video (which is probably what you're aiming for?)
* http://i.imgur.com/lVWY2.png <- this happens when looking down while aiming, probably not intended
* Perhaps running should be restricted by a hidden tiredness counter so that there would be an incentive not to hold shift constantly? Then again, perhaps not, since that would add a new application of skill for the game that would divert it from its more fulfilling goal
* I was not sure if the small bloodspots were the same large bloodspot seen in the beginning of game, covered by new snow, or just new bloodspots
* My first thought when waking up in a pool of blood in a snowy forest in a game named "Yeti hunter", was that I was the yeti, and the player-aiming-with-scope is a different person who shot the player-without-scope yeti in the beginning of game! This theory invalidated itself in time however.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:37:16 AM by Yrgkala » Logged
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:56 AM »

ohh, anyway, day to night transition can be nicer, because the transition now is like, poof! night. and i though it's yeti approaching.

that's what that was? I thought it was like, the mystical yeti's super powers to make shit dark... but then no yeti attacked me  Cry

I never found a yeti either, by the way
I caught a glimpse of one running away, but wasn't able to track it

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:10:23 AM »

I saw one but it got away and I never caught it again

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:46:16 AM »

I saw a yeti few times. The first time i suddenly saw a white figure, when i tried follow bloodsteps (not sure, but i think i follow the same blood), but then I'm confused and stuck in a tree, so i lost him.

The next time it was a night. As usual I ran through the forest, when suddenly I saw it on the horizon. I chased him all the night. He appeared, but in the next moment dissolved into the mist. I ran after him until the morning.

In the morning, I realized that I did not catch up, and was ready to make a shot. But as soon as I raised up the gun - the creature is disappeared!

...on the next night I got mad Panda

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

I never found a yeti, though it seemed like I came full-circle, if that's even possible, the way one of the bloodstains was placed, it seemed familiar.

The graphic style is awesome, and the mood set by it and the music are great.

Oh, when I climbed up trees, I found that wherever I was perched, I was stuck until I wanted to go down, upon which point, I had to press and hold Shift until I reached the ground. I didn't realize Ctrl did anything (I didn't read the instructions all that well). >.>

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:52 AM »

Loved the atmosphere as well, it felt a little ominous and I kind of expected the yeti to come up and murder me dead from behind at any given moment.

That never happened though, nor did I see the yeti once. The experience was interesting for a while but I got a little bored after never really getting any clues or signs to follow.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »

Saw a yeti, but it escaped. I felt pretty powerless trying to catch up to it. I like the whole atmosphere though, I was pretty damn scared when it got dark.

Ashkin
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »

This is terrifying.
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »

I loved the atmosphere and music. I saw a yeti once but it ran away Sad Sadly the gameplay did feel abit sloppy.

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »

Any reason why you can't use down to climb down a tree instead of control? I walked up a tree a couple of times by accident and it kinda confuses me why it's so hard to climb down again.
Nice atmosphere in the game btw.

Tokinsom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »

Suspenseful and intriguing upon starting the game. Sadly, all I could do was walk deeper and deeper into the empty, infinitely repeating whiteness. Like others, I caught a glimpse of a yeti, but it disappeared seconds later and I never saw one again. Then there was night, at which point this alpha yeti-watching engine became practically unplayable and the yetis went to sleep.

It could be a lot of fun..I just can't help but wonder why you released it so seemingly early in development  Concerned

I didn't play it for long though, so eh. Will give it another go later.

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:10:12 AM »

I saw a number of yetis (or perhaps the same one multiple times). As soon as I would put on the scope, they'd be gone. For some reason, whenever I would left-click, the music would restart.

What I took away from this was that the game was trying to replicate what it's like to hunt a yeti in real life. You think you see something that's probably a yeti, but you're never able to get that perfect shot off, so you can't really prove you saw one. I began kind of questioning whether what I saw was even a yeti, since it just looked like some white humanoid walking away from me, kind of hunched over. I don't know if the aim was to create a feeling of vulnerability with the music and the blood, but it didn't come across, to me. The change of music with the left-click also kind of ruined that potential.

So it's kind of clever and engaging, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I enjoyed it, but then I am not the kind of person who would enjoy hunting yetis.

Gib
Level 0

sup?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »

Don't want to troll or anything, but this is BY FAR the best yeti hunting simulation I have ever played.

Sid Meier's Yeti has nothing on this.

Welp, twitter and stuff. And b__g.
RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »

Played it for a few minutes and never saw a yeti, so it was kind of disappointing.  I, like others, enjoyed the atmosphere but the controls (specifically climbing down trees) can be a bit iffy.  Nice concept, could be a fun game with some more work.

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
Erinock
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »

Good job  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
pandit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »

Awesome. I really like that kind of minimalistic games in which you can't do much. Of course you don't play many hours with it, but it's fine. For me it's a reflexion on life, how things we hold as important and as ideals may seem pointless in the end. Everything just slips away, it's beautiful. Love it, really!

It made me think a bit of Nuprahtor's games.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:38:33 PM by pandit » Logged
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 01:57:01 AM »

I just walked around for like 20 minutes, not sure I even saw a yeti

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 03:24:29 AM »

Great Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic