Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:57:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioAncient Analog Synths, Keyboards, Samplers, etc
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ancient Analog Synths, Keyboards, Samplers, etc  (Read 2149 times)
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »

Minimoog (and Taurus), Mellotron, Odyssey, B3, Rhodes, etc. Most folks have forgotten them, Game Developers don't understand them, and this girl I dated absolutely reviled them, but they have a permanent place in my heart. Mostly because of my love for shamefully bombastic 70's prog rock, but yeah.

What are your favorites?
Post examples of them in your own work!

Mellotron: http://jaytholen.net/ysr/02%20Framework.mp3 (instrumental)

Mellotron, Moog:
http://jaytholen.net/usurper/02%20Broadhead%20Fillmore%20Comes%20to%20Town.mp3 (terrible awkward Jay Tholen vocals warning)
http://jaytholen.net/usurper/03%20We%27re%20Just%20Kids,%20We%27re%20Just%20Children.mp3 (instrumental)

Moog, Mellotron, Wurlie: http://jtholen.bandcamp.com/track/though-lamps-are-dark
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:01:22 PM by Jay Tholen » Logged

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:44 AM »

I own a JEN SX1000, produced from the 70s to the 80s, monophonic, one oscillator, very basic, but very awesome.
I would love to have a Korg Trident, Teisco 110-F, or Pro-One. The Trident and 110-F are my dream synths though.

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:06:16 AM »

That's rad. One of my friends has a Pro-One and it's incredible.

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »

Oh, I bet it is.
The closest thing I want to a workstation is a VFX, some rad early digital sounds on it coupled with realistic sounds.

Sam English
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

I've only got a couple of vintage keyboards: A Fender Rhodes Mark I Stage and Crumar Performer, both of which I love to death. Pretty soon I'm hoping to get a Juno 60. That synth brings me to tears every time I hear it.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:37:01 AM »

That synth brings me to tears every time I hear it.

That's how I feel about the Korg Trident.
You own a Crumar. I heard those were pretty bad, is that not the case?

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:53:32 AM »

I am all in-the-box digital.

What I like to do for my current Electronica project though is record my synths with this really crappy old Philips tape recorder, have the recording played back by its horrible internal speaker and record that with the cheapest mic I have. Then I put some nice stereo FX on the resulting noise and mix it with the original dry signal. Shwurble shwurble.

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »

I am all in-the-box digital.

What I like to do for my current Electronica project though is record my synths with this really crappy old Philips tape recorder, have the recording played back by its horrible internal speaker and record that with the cheapest mic I have. Then I put some nice stereo FX on the resulting noise and mix it with the original dry signal. Shwurble shwurble.

I do pretty much the same thing. I record stuff to an old stereo cassette deck and send it back to the computer for increased dirt. Works pretty well at hiding the fakeness I think.

Dropsy!

Sam English
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »

I mean, it's not horrible. It's just... limited. There's not a whole lot you can do with it. I really like how warm the brass section sounds. Good for layering pads and stuff.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »

I mean, it's not horrible. It's just... limited. There's not a whole lot you can do with it. I really like how warm the brass section sounds. Good for layering pads and stuff.

I mean, I heard they were built horribly, like prone to hardware failures. Is that true?

Sam English
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »

Oh, without a doubt. I had to send it to be worked on right after I bought it used on eBay. The technician couldn't get it completely working 100%. I'm content with how it functions now - the EQ and envelope knobs don't work, and the output level is LOW. But hey it's vintage and it's cool to have vintage things.  Durr...?
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »

Fender Rhodes Mark I Stage
*jealous* It's my favourite instrument of all time! I love the sound so much.

I've got a JEN SX1000 too - super fun to noodle around with but a pity the filter is a bit thin sounding.

Out of all my old gear my Ensoniq ESQ-1 is favourite - digital oscillators but analog filters, so has a nice vintage sound. It's got pretty flexible modulation routing options so is really fun to program.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:47:49 AM »

@Sam English - Oh wow, that sucks. I've thought about a DS-2 or an organ, but who knows.

@chris_b - Yeah, I do think the filter is pretty thin.

gbsr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »

i used to have a first edition yamaha dx7.
crazy machine, that.
also got a casio cz1000 up the attic, but it's busted unfortunately.
then i've got shit tons of really old toys keyboards, including inbreakable ones like the yamaha pss570 which you can pretty much circuitbend however you want without breaking it, nor without having to add a hardreset (it also got a separate dac for the drums which you can route straight into the fm-chip mind you), and stuff like the bontempi memory sequencer :D
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »

wow you guys have some pretty interesting stuff lying around. the only old synth I have is a roland jx-3p.
I think it was one of the first synths from roland with midi.

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »

Anyone own a Siel Cruise? I've seen demos for it and it seems pretty hardcore awesome, but maybe owners say otherwise.

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »

You guys should post some examples in yer music! Smiley

Dropsy!

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »

I do, but no one comments on my stuff.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic