Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:48:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioIndie Game Music Remix Competition!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Game Music Remix Competition!  (Read 4471 times)
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2008, 11:15:15 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hey everyone! I'd like to do a little bit of something special now - an "Indie Game Music Remix" competition. I'm looking for remixes of music from popular indie titles (only remixes from games with original music will be considered).

I really just had this idea and I thought it would be a good way to celebrate the awesome music from our indie games (and I'm a composer too so a little self love never hurt anyone). There are so many under appreciated soundtracks that I can't even think to list them all here - but even more awesome are the number of AWESOME composers hanging around these parts - I'd love to hear how they (we?) can tribute each other and celebrate the Music of Independent Gaming!

The Rules
1) Must compose a piece of at least 30 seconds in length
2) Rearranged or remixed composition must be derived from an original work featured in an independent game (No remixing games that did not have unique soundtracks or borrowed music from sites like 'modarchive'). No remixes from mainstream titles will be accepted.
3) You may publicly post your completed entry or any work in progress.
4) You may get all of your friends to vote for your song. (:

Submission Rules
1) File must be submitted in MP3 format to [email protected]
2) File must encoded in at least 192kbps
3) ID3 tag must list your preferred artist handle under Artist, and also must acknowledge the original composer in the v2 tag. You need to also submit to me the title of the game from which you've composed.

If the game was not free, and you feel that the source material may be hard to identify, then please post some sort of gameplay video (on youtube or whatever) where we can hear the source material in action. The video doesn't have to be yours, but if it is then make sure you have permission to post it! (;

(I will handle the hosting costs of your music come voting time, so don't worry about bandwidth or size!)

Examples of Accepted Titles
Another Bound Neo
Aquaria
Braid (not an original soundtrack)
Bonesaw: The Game
Cave Story  Cave Story
Eternal Daughter
Rescue the Beagles
The Spirit Engine 1 & 2
And so many more I can't even think to list, but you get the idea!

Results
You will be voting for the top entries - the mechanism is TBD. You will either vote on this forum or on my website (so that anybody can vote and this isn't a TIGSource limited compo).

I will also be handpicking my favorites to provide a special "honorable mention" prize...

Prizes
I'm not full of cash or anything super special, but to anyone who submits an eligible (and not garbage) entry I can provide a free copy of "The Spirit Engine II: Selections," in digital form. Additionally, the top composer will receive a signed physical copy of "The Spirit Engine II: Original Soundtrack" (all 4 discs come in nicely printed jewel cases, and you also get the digital download). Additionally, the runners up (number of these TBD) will receive a free digital copy of the said soundtrack.

The Spirit Engine II: Original Soundtrack, FYI, features 101 tracks over 3 hours in length, so it's enough to keep you interested.

I realize that a lot of people probably don't really care for these prizes, but they are all I can offer - although if you're willing to sponsor this competition and add to the pot then please let me know!

Deadline
The deadline for this competition is September 9rd, 2008... a month from today, at Midnight. Technically... September 10th, 2008 00:00EST. This gives you a good month to do your best - additionally, if the forums should go down for some reason I may or may not extend this deadline.

Alright everyone, sounds good then. Please reply here to let me know your interest!
Also, I didn't know which forum this really belonged in, so feel free to move it!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:59:09 AM by TwiTerror » Logged

hi
increpare
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »

Hey everyone! I'd like to do a little bit of something special now - an "Indie Game Music Remix" competition. I'm looking for remixes of music from popular indie titles (only remixes from games with original music will be considered).
Have you checked out any of our old music challenge competitions? 

The most recent one has been a bit slow on the take-up.  They generally last two weeks as opposed to a month, to keep things moving.  The current one is pretty much over now(I had plans to enter, but haven't really had time).  Would you be interested in pulling back the deadline a bit and calling thus music challenge 9?  Or  is this a non-tig-exclusive competition?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:00:50 PM by increpare » Logged
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

Hmm, I don't really know. It doesn't quite matter to me at this stage, because it's so fresh - so that would be fine, but I think that 2 weeks is not enough time, I'd like to see it stretch to be at least a month long.

But in hindsight, I realize that I'd like to make this as big as possible, so keeping them separate may be a good idea. I'll ponder it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:01:38 PM by TwiTerror » Logged

hi
increpare
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »

Hmm, I don't really know. It doesn't quite matter to me at this stage, because it's so fresh - so that would be fine, but I think that 2 weeks is not enough time, I'd like to see it stretch to be at least a month long.
Well how about this: you've given notice for this competition already.  I'll put up the next official whatever competition, and then we can have your one take the spotlight the fortnight-or-so after that?
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »

Whatever works, I'm really just interested in hearing the music and celebrating the stuff. Also, I think mine's a little different because it has prizes and such - but it's whatever the community wants to do. I'll probably throw this up on a dedicated page tonight.

hi
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »

Could we simply accept this as the new music compo and get started? :D

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 04:28:30 PM »

Ready set go. (:

hi
increpare
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »

Okay, I'm good for breaking the usual scheme of things with this one (especially given that it's compo time).
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »

Diamond Rider
increpare
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 03:54:02 PM »

(Hmm. What became of this, I wonder?)

Time for a new music compo methinks?  I have an idea ... if nobody objects to me contributing another one?
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 04:11:54 PM »

Uh well I totally thought I was going to make something for this but I apparently haven't yet. If you wanna start another music challenge I say go for it.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »

I wanted to do a remix of Sick Panda's (Lady Boy Love Collection by increpare) soundtrack. I still do. And freaking hell, I will. Cool

EDIT: only not for the compo, I wonder.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:17:39 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »

This will be revived when other competitions settle down. I picked a bad time for this (;

hi
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 07:18:26 AM »

I wanted to do a remix of Sick Panda's (Lady Boy Love Collection by increpare) soundtrack. I still do. And freaking hell, I will. Cool

I still plan on remixing the Birth Lady music from Lady Million! I guess this is the motivation I need for it. Watch this space.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic