Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411917 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 05:12:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTaxes - iTunes and Other Markets
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Taxes - iTunes and Other Markets  (Read 816 times)
Tyraziel
Level 0

I fight for the Users!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »

I'm not an accountant and as an Indie Dev, finding both the time and resources to figure somethings out in the "App Market" world is hard and sometimes confusing.  Especially when you read some of these agreements that are in the "Legal English Language"

With that said, does anyone know how Taxes / Sales Tax works in the iTunes market when you open your App / Game up to parts of the world where Apple states "You are responsible to collect and remit taxes within accordance with Local Laws to the following countries" ?  Last thing I want to have to worry about if I open my game up to the many different countries you can is filing and paying taxes to many many countries.

I did a few searches here and it doesn't look like this topic came up, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with questions about this.

Thanks!

--END OF LINE--
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »

I was just looking up the tax implications of releasing a paid app in the states from my home country of Australia,
some people where concerned you'd have to pay taxes to both the IRA and the ATO but from what I can gather around forums, Apple seem to handle most of this awkward stuff for you.

If I find some actual proof to this (from Apple's own staff or docs) I'll post it here, but I'm still looking right now

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:55:30 AM »

e-commerce services like plimus, bmt-micro, and fastspring typically handle value added tax for you for markets which have that. i'd assume apple does as well. sales tax in the US does not apply to digital goods, only physical goods, i believe (and even then, only for intra-state commerce, not commerce between states). so you only need to worry about your personal income (self-employment) tax if you use one of those services

if you sell direct with paypal or something, then it's much more complicated, which is why i don't recommend using paypal alone, without an e-commerce service provider

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic