Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:28:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446930 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »

To at least give you something today, here's a bit of concept art. Some parts I'm happy with, others not.

I'm happy with the... face, not the head but the face. The way the head ends needs work. The body in general needs to be less anatomically realistic. I want the face to be more emotionless, I think, like a mask that looks like something that could be a biological part of the creature but could as well be added on. It needs to work better together with how the Bear looks...

Well, as you can see there's a lot that will change, this is just a rough sketch. The technical implementation will also have a huge impact, that likely won't increase or decrease quality, but just change everything fundamentally. My original sketches for the Bear looked like *deep breath* THIS:

And ended up like this:

So the technical implementation phase can do good things as well...

We'll have to see where it goes! This is an interesting part of making games, technical solutions and limitations bring something unpredictable to your art process, and if you go with that stuff might end up somewhere unexpected.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2012, 01:45:05 PM »

I really like how much it looks like a salamander or axolotl.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2012, 03:49:44 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines... Well, as I always say, we'll see where it ends up Smiley

Update 42
Today I did a (preliminary?) visual representation for the short cut entrances. They're still impossible to spot, but it took me like an hour to draw so I'm not doing it all over again until I know what they're finally going to look like. At least it's theoretically possible to spot them now!

I've started to make a few levels as well. The alpha needs levels of great variety, because I'll need to know what kind of levels you guys think works best.

Apart from all this stuff there has been a change to the gameplay mechanics. Instead of consuming the flies on touch like mario coins (or pac-man pellets) the bear cathes them in its hands. You then have to get away and sit still for a short moment in order to eat them. It's very quick, and hopefully won't try your patience too much, but I felt it needed to go in the game. As it was, because of flies gathering together, you could suddenly get something like five kills in a second by just jumping through a swarm, and then continue for a minute without getting anything. This evens things out a little, as you can't catch more than two at a time.

Also I think it fits better with the game's style, the lizard doesn't eat you on touch but rather carries you back to its hole, and I wanted the player to do something similar. I didn't want you to eat while chased. Instead you have to hunt, then escape and find a safe spot where you can quickly munch down what you caught before getting out there again. Another benefit is that sometimes the game would have small moments of dead time, when you where just ducking in cover and waiting for a croc to pass by. Now those moments have a purpose, and you can get better at trying to time them and get them to work with your hunting-escaping scheme.

It's all either not animated or horribly animated at this point of course, but the mechanics are in. The game eventually will have a bit of an animation overhaul, for example the vertical pole climbing looks unacceptable at this point. Maybe I'll get to this at the same time I give the croc its legs.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2012, 12:26:21 AM »

Update 43
Added a test rendering for levels, so you can get an ugly-looking thing to try out before you go through the huge process of actually rendering a level. It's a good thing, because there's often a few changes you find yourself wanting to do once you know exactly which jumps are possible to pull of and so on.

I've made a few levels as well. Still don't know what kind of layout works the best though.

Crocs don't necessarily spawn right on start up any more. You'll be able to specify from the level editor when they'll spawn. They spawn after a certain number of caught flies with an added time delay, to make it a little bit less obvious. If you want you can set them to 0 flies but a greater time delay.
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »

really interesting concept, its nice to see fresh ideas such as this Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

I can't wait to play this!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »

Update 44
OK, now the alpha is more or less ready to be sent out. I just need to add some instruction text, and maybe a calm little turorial level where you can learn how to move.

If you play two people it'll rank you at the end of the game, according to a system where a surviving player is always ranked above a dead one, and aside from that it goes by how many flies you've caught.

I realized that the fun of playing a level is doubled if it's given at least some graphics, so I'll actually do renderings of the levels. Note that these are just quick renderings with a default tileset, the real levels for the game will have quite a lot of custom graphics going on.

Next thing I'll put togther a questionnaire to go with the alpha and then I'll send it out. We're almost there!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »

Alpha is out!

Here's what the main menu looks like:

I have a three year university education in graphic design, and I've gotta say, it's not every day you pull something like this off. Going straight in the portfolio.

So, hopefully I'll get some feedback from the play testers in a couple of days (if they can find the start button), until then I'll just do a little tweaking of the level editor.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2012, 06:05:45 AM »

Hi!

I'm mainly waiting for the feedback from the testers at this point. Did try a few things in the level editor, but didn't keep them, and made a new tileset. Other than that, nothing much. Hard to find motivation to do stuff that I know might get changed once the feedback starts coming in.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »

Bad news
I got to know today that I'm in a bit of a tight spot concerning certain school work. This means that for a week or two, I will have to focus on that. The game will have to be put on ice.

Note however that I'm not abandoning the project forever or for an indefinite amount of time. Within two weeks I'll be back on track. Maybe this isn't the worst time for this to happen, the alpha is released which was a huge mile stone for the project, and now feedback has started to get back to me. In a couple of days when I look at the project again I might be able to do so with fresh eyes, and by then I will have quite a lot of feedback to fall back on as well. Those of you who have an alpha, please let me know what you think! I will have time to read it.

So, a short break. See you in a few days, wish me luck!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2012, 05:46:14 AM »

Sorry, I've been working a bunch. I do have the question sheet about half full though.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »

Sounds like a good chance for a break and to come back with a fresh head so good luck with all your school work.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »

I'm alive!
They told me I'll likely have to complement my thesis later though, so this beast is merely fended off, not slain.

Has been really interesting to recieve the comments from the alpha testers! The opinions have been incredibly diverse... The levels that are some peoples' favourites are hated by others, someone writes that wall jumping is the biggest flaw in the game, someone says it's their preferred aspect... There are some glitches that everyone seems agreed on, but other than that people are pretty much all over the place. The game seems to be a tad too difficult though, which isn't surprising as this difficulty is what I imagined for the final levels, while you guys have been thrown straight into it. I'll sit down and try to make sense of it soon, and maybe post a list of what I'll change because of the feedback.

Thank you!

Update 45
The croc is getting feet! It looks weird and unfinished still, but it's on its way. Even at this stage the poor creature consists of no less than 13 sprites, and that's going to increase quite a lot more...
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »

Update 46
I'm a little bit stuck, on a silly thing. I need to know the point inside a three-edged polygon that is closest to a point outside the polygon. I realize this is something programmers probably do in their sleep, but as I never got any real programming education I always get stuck on this kind of stuff. I solve it eventually, but it might take a while. Tips are appreciated.

What's happening is that the croc is given some behaviour for its legs. Each leg is supposed to reach forward to a place that has grabable terrain, grab on to that, hold there while the body is hauled forward, and then let go and repeat. In order to find grabable spots on slopes I need the polygon-point-distance thingie.

Right now it looks like it's going to look very weird, but hopefully also cool. Will have to see how long the legs will end up, maybe it'll vary across the different crocs.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2012, 10:02:22 PM »

Update 47
More work on the crocs' legs. It still looks more weird than cool, but I hope to be able to improve it. The movement will be somewhat awkward, like it's hauling itself forward rather than actually running, and will hopefully give it a nice, creepy vibe. Still haven't solved the slopes thing.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »

Update 48
The legs are moving now. It still needs a lot of work, I too see the weird black things shooting out, but the framework is up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Die5vsuLGs&feature=youtu.be
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2012, 12:38:26 AM »

Update 49
A friend helped me with the traingle problem, and it's out of the way! The croc legs are just about finished. They've reached a good-enough kind of level, where I'll leave them to maybe revisit them later. The movement looks quite different now, they're like... hauling themselves forward through the corridors.

The movement speed is determined by how many legs are grasping, if all four limbs are holding on to something it moves very quickly, if all of them are in the air the body barely moves at all. There is a little cheating though, even with no legs contacting terrain there is some movement, so that it won't get stuck.

Still some flickering going on with the knees though, more fine tuning needed.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »

Update 50
Taking a first look at how I'll actually implement some graphics for the croc.

Not super happy with any of the heads, but hopefully I'm getting there.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »

Update 51
Implemented a jaw for the croc, that's separate from the head and can open and close. Also started to set up a framework for how the head will rotate depending on the angle of the body.

The crocs now climb poles in a slightly more reasonable manner, instead of just gliding along on the centre of the pole like a monorail then will climb on top of horizontal poles and on the sides of vertical ones.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »

I will have limited internet connection for a couple of days. I will still try to work on the game every day, but updates might be a bit more irregular.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic