Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:52:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421660 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1480 on: April 11, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »

James, I loved you in Grandmas Boy.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1481 on: April 11, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »

James, I loved you in Grandmas Boy.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1482 on: April 11, 2014, 03:56:49 PM »

How long were you guys streaming? I checked in at 3:30 and then it ended like 10 minutes later. Did see some of the gameplay, looking great as usual

Do you have plans to do more backer Twitch streams after PAX?

Edit: 100 pages! Congrats and thanks for maintaining the devlog so meticulously. It's been a pleasure following Rain World's growth from bare basic grids and pretty concept art to the awesome atmospheric experience it is today. 

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1483 on: April 11, 2014, 04:31:56 PM »

How long were you guys streaming? I checked in at 3:30 and then it ended like 10 minutes later. Did see some of the gameplay, looking great as usual

Do you have plans to do more backer Twitch streams after PAX? 

thanks for the kind words guys!

to be honest i have no idea how long we were streaming. the whole thing was crazy rushed and we were dead tired, so it could have been 10 minutes or an hour we probably wouldnt have noticed the difference. "Man" from MANvsGAME (the interviewer) was super nice though! but those headphones were like medieval torture devices

I think we'd totally be into doing some more streams, but like... once we actually have cool stuff to show from the new build. give us a few months!

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1484 on: April 11, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »

20 minutes. I watched it. :D

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1485 on: April 14, 2014, 08:28:15 AM »

20 minutes. I watched it. :D
Is there a video online anywhere?

---
Two short PAX interviews with the devs

And a longer two part interview from March with James:
Part 1, Part 2
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:41:00 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: April 14, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »

you might want to fix those links, Christian. just sayin'.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1487 on: April 14, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »

you might want to fix those links, Christian. just sayin'.
Thanks, fixed. So used to putting quotes around links since that's how it is on NeGAF and Toucharcade

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 14, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »

Needs more views
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1489 on: April 16, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »

Thanks for posting the vids Christian! There are a few more out there in internet land, but i think those were the best.

Joar is off to NYC to explore for the next few days, so I figure its good time for a POST PAX EAST FLUFF POST!

Quick PAX post-mort:

It was a fun, exhausting, chaotic experience, but a very very good one. Even though we were showing an early alpha build, the reception was fantastic and we really couldn't have hoped for better. There were people that would come back every day to play for a few hours(!), and once we set up the 4 player "party mode", there was a constant crowd and it was a lot of fun.

Not to say it went off without a hitch though. Since we were still showing the Lingo build, there were a LOT of "duct-tape solutions" and hacked together last minute fixes. The expected PCs didnt arrive, and so Thursday night was spent frantically re-coding bits and pieces to get the aspect ratio to fit the screens of the replacements. There were some very strange framerate slowdowns that seemed to be related to the number of USB controllers attached, but then when the USB hub was attached for 4 player it magically went away, so who knows!

The enthusiasm for the multiplayer really gave us some things to consider. Recently we had just been thinking of it as a freebie game mode to add on top of the "real game" narrative/campaign part (in hindsight, probably just because we were bored of it), but new players were all excited for a samurai gunn / super smash brothers-esque party game, so we have talked a lot about it and will definitely be exploring ways we can enhance that aspect as well, perhaps even having the story mode feed into it some how (i hesitate to call the campaign "single player mode" because we really want co-op as well) Anyway, you get the idea.

If you are interested in seeing some pics from Our Big PAX Adventure (if not, plz ignore the facebook slideshow nature of this post, we will return to regularly scheduled programming shortly)

Rain World on the big screen

the very first 4 player Rain World match ever! sooooo fun! a fan played 2 player the first day )the PC at the booth only had 2 USBs), then went home and brought back a multi USB hub so we could set up 4player for the rest of the weekend :O now thats dedication! (Thanks Carson!!!)

stickers for players who could survive longer than 40 seconds

twitch stream with MANvsGAME

with jonathan from destructoid

Joar hanging out with Luis from Jazzpunk

on the BIIIIIG screen. not going to lie, that was a little scary. 7 second match obviously hahaha

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1490 on: April 16, 2014, 08:20:37 AM »

Awesome! It's great to see Rain World stomping over a milestone after the other. Go Go guys <3

I can definitely see a fully developed MP experience as a valuable addition to Rain World, though I only hope that doesn't end up cannibalizing the core-experience.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1491 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »

Nice to see that RW got such a nice reception at Pax! Wish I could have been there to check it out, but hey, the cons of being a college student

Really can't wait to see the game when it's rebuilt in Unity. It looks great already. Is it too much to hope that the slugcat model could be as textured and scarred as the slugcat in the logo?

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 16, 2014, 08:46:18 AM »

I was already looking forward to local MP in this thanks to games like SG & TF, a more dedicated competitive mode centered around that is something to look forward to Kiss
Is it too much to hope that the slugcat model could be as textured and scarred as the slugcat in the logo?
Joar once explained that the model is cell shaded because it's Frankensteined out of different pieces, so a more detailed texture would make the character model less fluidic, as the textures from the back half would pull/distort/mash/clash with the textures from the first half while in motion, bending etc. This is easier to mask when the color scheme is simpler. (Correct me if I'm wrong Joar!)
Nilanjan
« Reply #1493 on: April 17, 2014, 02:02:10 AM »

Congrats to Joar and James for your grand success.I've been following this devlog since ages although I was not a member until recently.It's really thrilling to see such an amazing concept taking shape into something spectacular day by day.Your work on Rain World will inspire a lot of indies and motivate them to grander things.I cannot wait to see your Unity build.Waiting for a furry Slugcat Smiley
Didi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 17, 2014, 04:59:25 AM »

I can't believe the project is moving to Unity. I'm currently using Unity for 2 projects and I have a love/hate relationship. Love the product but I don't dig the business model. Recent CryEngine and UDK updates on that matter look far more clever than Unity's. But it does solve a lot of problems out of the box, and the compromise is not too big.

It is obviously for the best, can't wait to get a glimpse of how it's looking now. Keep it up!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 22, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »

Update 226
And so I'm finally back at it! Started working on the engine for short cuts. This is a core element of the game, the thing that enables a creature to crawl into a hole and then pop out of another hole, somewhere else on the level or on another level. Essentially it's going to be the same, except that this time around the game will not recognize a creature inside a short cut as being in any specific room. The creature will exist, but as floating in some kind of limbo between rooms, to be assigned a new room as the short cut spits it out.

This is meant to further de-emphasize the rooms as cardinal containers for events. If you can move between rooms as effortlessly, and with the same code, as you move within them, I hope that'll increase the impression of an interconnected world. Also, de-attaching a creature from any room while it's in a shortcut prohibits it from weird interactions with other objects while it's in shortcut mode.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 23, 2014, 04:04:47 AM »

Quick question to you wizards out there: can I do parallax scrolling as a shader? That is, can I feed a shader some parameters (camera position) on every draw command? Can I use shaders to apply different palettes to the same sprite, do color cycling etc?

Or has I completely misunderstood what a shader does? Tongue

Oh, if someone had some kind of beginners guide to the stuff, that would be awesome too!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1497 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:53 AM »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/SvenBergstrom/20140407/214788/Shaders__A_primer.php

I understood this and I'm not a great coder so...

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1498 on: April 23, 2014, 04:41:56 AM »

Quick question to you wizards out there: can I do parallax scrolling as a shader? That is, can I feed a shader some parameters (camera position) on every draw command? Can I use shaders to apply different palettes to the same sprite, do color cycling etc?

Or has I completely misunderstood what a shader does? Tongue

Google "palette swap" and "fragment shader" and you should get plenty of results. Parallax scrolling is also possible with shaders. I found some examples by googling "parallax scrolling" and "vertex shader". You can pass the camera position as a uniform and then shift the texture accordingly. I've only done this with a seamlessly repeating texture, though, which is probably the simplest case.

The main trick is to figure out which keywords to search for, really. Smiley

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 23, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »

You can find reference here:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32227.0

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic