Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:41:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1448529 times)
Woodledude
Level 0

What does this text field do?

View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: April 02, 2015, 06:40:27 PM »

cuttlefly

Naw, it's a squicada. Squidada. Squidcada. Something like that.

... Cicasquid?  Undecided

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
Jeddychan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: April 02, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »

cuttlefly

squicada?

FLIPPIN' TABLE  TENNIS
(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯('□' ╯)
FTT Devlog

@Jeddychan
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: April 02, 2015, 08:05:59 PM »

Squicada ftw!

tinaun
Level 0

wanderer

View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: April 02, 2015, 08:33:43 PM »

I haven't made updates yet because I've been working on the behavior and haven't yet skinned it, and I know that what you guys want to see is gifs of stuff other than moving little boxes.

Hell no, give us all the moving boxes you can muster!

Really love all your creature designs, keep it up.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3424 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »

I haven't made updates yet because I've been working on the behavior and haven't yet skinned it, and I know that what you guys want to see is gifs of stuff other than moving little boxes.

Yup, those WIP GIFs are always cool. Seeing the lizards and vultures evolve from moving shapes to what they are now was fascinating

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Woodledude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:53 PM »

Yup, those WIP GIFs are always cool. Seeing the lizards and vultures evolve from moving shapes to what they are now was fascinating

Gonna go ahead and third this. Bring on the boxes!  Grin

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: April 03, 2015, 12:09:07 AM »

Although those kinds of behaviors should really depend on their numbers. How many cicadas can we expect to be in a room simultaneously? If 1-3, then being generally agressive would make sense, but if more than that, then it may be a bit overwhelming to the player.
Dunno, it makes no intuitive sense at all for a creature to be more aggressive the fewer allies it has nearby. Do you have to have a fighting chance regardless of what numbers you're up against?
I worded that poorly. I didn't mean that their behavior should change dynamically based on numbers. I meant that it should be designed with numbers in mind. The more of them we can expect player to encounter simultaneously the less dangerous they should be as individuals.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: April 03, 2015, 05:34:07 AM »

This brings to mind the mobbing behaviours of small birds like starlings. Squabbling one on one with competitor species, harassing hawks in a large mob to drive them away. It'd be neat to have them be a pain to compete with, but have them also be kind of beneficial to have around in large groups because they can sometimes drive away a vulture.
Jeddychan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: April 03, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »

Gonna go ahead and third this. Bring on the boxes!  Grin

What they said.

FLIPPIN' TABLE  TENNIS
(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯('□' ╯)
FTT Devlog

@Jeddychan
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: April 03, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »

Instead of (or in addition to) them being agressive towards you in certain rooms I'd suggest adding some reactions to the player behavior. For instance, if they see you catching a bat they will try to take it from you, instead of catching their own, and they will pull you away from bats in general, if you get too close.

Although those kinds of behaviors should really depend on their numbers. How many cicadas can we expect to be in a room simultaneously? If 1-3, then being generally agressive would make sense, but if more than that, then it may be a bit overwhelming to the player.

Also, do lizards and vultures eat them?

Edit: Also also, do their wings have to be so so cicada-like? I think it would be more interesting to make them a mix of dragonfly's long and thin dual wings and cuttlefish's single floppy surface.

Having AI creatures be able to read player behavior is something I'm really interested in, but it's really really difficult stuff. Like, proper academically researched difficult stuff. It's similar to voice and image recognition software in that it takes a bunch of fuzzy data and tries to boil it down to a hard-lined concept, which computers are not naturally inclined to. Like, trying to have the AI figure out if the player is aggressive towards a specific creature - how would you start? Maybe by checking if the player is moving towards the creature, that seems like a decent starting point. But from there on it gets very difficult. Trying to interpret more complex intentions from the player actions is even harder. I'll probably give some of this a little bit of a go though, but don't expect too much!

White lizards eat cicadas, catching them with the tongue. Vultures might snag one if there's truly no other option available.

I think the creature is cuttlefish-like enough, and the little fins wouldn't really make sense for air flying, right?

If the bats are spawned randomly in any of the swarm rooms, does this mean that cicadas can decrease the population of any specific swarm room that they frequent (while the global population remains the same)? I kind of like the idea of being forced to move shelters because the cicadas have out-competed you on the swarm rooms nearest to your current home base.

Also, april fools joking aside, as far as offensive/defensive capacities go I find myself imagining scenarios where it would be awesome to have the ability to stab with a spear without releasing it, such as being trapped in a corner and trying to defend yourself/the pups from a vulture or something.

Also also, speaking of Dynamic Relationships, is there a point where if you cause enough trouble/pain for a predator such as the vulture that they'll cut their losses and retreat?

Theoretically yes, but the bats migrate around the world so it wouldn't be super clear. The bats converge and dissipate in different swarm rooms all the time.

We've been talking about stabbing and decided on no. Throwing the spear is a bit of an investment, if you could stab every creature encounter would just be about tap-tap-tapping the button, and it'd feel like a fighting game. I think an important feature of Rain World is that it is a game that features fighting, but it's not a game about fighting. Violence is just one of the mechanics.

When dynamic relationships are in it's really low hanging fruit to have a predator be afraid of you after you've induced enough harm on it! So yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing I want to do with the system  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Don't forget that n creatures is interactions, it's exponential. Even though there is generalization that limit the number of link, it increase the scope of the game greatly, I hope you have planned for it? How many creatures there is in total? Maybe after a certain threshold required (such as backer's) you should set hard limit and treat everything beyond has bonus, as you might exhaust. It can be mitigated by creating and enforcing scenario that limit different species in the same place according to interactions limit.

In the lingo build, this was the case as I made all interactions manually. After adding like, 4 creatures things got pretty rough  Shocked C# build has a system where I can define creature relationships and give them categories such as "Eats", "IsAfraidOf", "FightsForTerritory", etc. The relationships can also have different strengths.

Then I try to keep basic behavior such as hunting or fleeing as general as possible, so that they can work with any two creatures. For example, say that a blue lizard is fleeing. It will use the data of the creature it's fleeing from, and depending on that the flight AI module will behave a bit differently. Fleeing from a Green Lizard will make the floor tiles seem more dangerous, maybe causing it to climb up a wall. Fleeing from a vulture will make narrow spaces seem safer. All of this stuff is basically just about interpreting the AI bake maps and other available data in a dynamic manner, so I actually don't have to write any creature-specific code to get these behaviors.

Using this, I can define most creature interactions in a single line of code. When adding the cicada, for example, the only code I wrote to make it interact with the Vulture specifically was this:

EstablishRelationship(CreatureTemplate.Type.Vulture, CreatureTemplate.Type.Cicada, new CreatureTemplate.Relationship(CreatureTemplate.Relationship.Type.Eats, 0.1f));
        EstablishRelationship(CreatureTemplate.Type.Cicada, CreatureTemplate.Type.Vulture, new CreatureTemplate.Relationship(CreatureTemplate.Relationship.Type.Afraid, 0.7f));

Vultures can eat cicadas, but are pretty disinterested. Cicadas on the other hand are afraid of vultures (because they're huge). To my delight, both the hunting of the vulture and the fleeing of the cicada seemed to work out like expected.

So even if the number of interactions will grow with n^2, that's actually sort of acceptable if it's only two lines of code for each interaction. Soon it's getting close to the point where I need to make a huge sheet of paper and put the creatures as rows and columns to plot it all out though. It's a lot of fun, as this is where the weird emergent behavior happens.

Then of course some creature relationships are more custom. Snails and leeches, for example, have a bit of code going on between just the two of them. But these special cases won't grow exponentially, they'll just be thrown in here and there when we have some specific idea.

This brings to mind the mobbing behaviours of small birds like starlings. Squabbling one on one with competitor species, harassing hawks in a large mob to drive them away. It'd be neat to have them be a pain to compete with, but have them also be kind of beneficial to have around in large groups because they can sometimes drive away a vulture.

Maybe it could be pretty cool to have cicadas harass vultures like this... I'll try it out Smiley

Some moving boxes! It's pretty murky what's going on right now as there are no animations, when skinning them I want to add visual indicators for when they're charging, grabbing you etc so you have a more clear understanding of what's going on.

The cicada jump! Obviously the player should actually be holding on at all times haha - more animation work to be done!

Jeddychan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: April 03, 2015, 08:48:05 AM »

yaaaaay! boxes!

FLIPPIN' TABLE  TENNIS
(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯('□' ╯)
FTT Devlog

@Jeddychan
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: April 03, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »

Time and time again I'm amazed (re-amazed?) by how the slugcat's arms "react" to nearby objects. It's such an effortless way to make the creature feel so alive. Grin

Looking forward to see cicada/bat/vulture interactions. I imagine there won't be too many direct confrontation situations like this in the endgame?

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: April 03, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »

game look amazing and natural even with boxes!

Woodledude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: April 03, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

game look amazing and natural even with boxes!

Huzzah! For the great Joar graces us with another glimpse at His divine boxes, the very core of all creatures in this World of Rain! We must spread the word of His mighty power and benevolence, for He breathes life into simple images and shapes, simply for our entertainment. Has a greater being ever existed?

Well... Maybe, but screw those guys anyway, am I right? Big Laff

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: April 04, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »

Huzzah! For the great Joar graces us with another glimpse at His divine boxes, the very core of all creatures in this World of Rain! We must spread the word of His mighty power and benevolence, for He breathes life into simple images and shapes, simply for our entertainment. Has a greater being ever existed?

Careful Joar, after a while you might have a cult on your hands...
Jeddychan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: April 05, 2015, 05:06:23 AM »

Careful Joar, after a while you might have a cult on your hands...

I feel like we should come up with a chant...

FLIPPIN' TABLE  TENNIS
(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯('□' ╯)
FTT Devlog

@Jeddychan
Kytin
Level 0

Just hatched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3436 on: April 06, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »

"Slugcat! Slugcat! Ia! Ia!"

Dragon's Wake - Devlog
Woodledude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: April 06, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »

"Lizard, Vulture! Mel wei treia!"

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 06, 2015, 04:52:09 PM »

"James, Joar! hari hari har!"

Jeddychan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: April 06, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »

"James, Joar! hari hari har!"

I'm very happy with what I've started...

FLIPPIN' TABLE  TENNIS
(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯('□' ╯)
FTT Devlog

@Jeddychan
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic