Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:54:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421906 times)
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »

Wow. I remember seeing the movement prototype for this. Looks excellent!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 09, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »

Update 134
When messing with save files some new problems emerged, because of some special cases that didn't occur if you just played a fresh world every time. So I rewrote the code that loads lizards from memory, in order to be able to be more selective about what to save and how when I save a lizard. This way I can for example save the health of a lizard but ignore it's position. It comes in handy when you end a hunt in world mode and want the lizards to have crawled back into their holes, but their injuries to be intact.

The current system supports the following scenarios:

Lizard has not spawned yet
Lizard has spawned offscreen, and should be generated out somewhere in the level
Lizard is saved as alive, and should be recreated close to where it was last seen
Lizard is saved as dead, and a corpse should be recreated on the same spot
Lizard is saved as dead and not on the screen (for example if it has fallen out of the level), and should simply not appear at all

Seems to cover it, right?

Everything's working out fine in the artificial de-bugging scenarios I've been running, but with stuff complicated as this it's hard to know if something has escaped me.

In short, saving/loading seems to be pretty much done by now. The next big step in getting the single player campaign up and running will be the between-level screen, which should have little animations showing how many flies you've caught and so on.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 10, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »

Update 135
Dear readers, I'm happy to say that single player is up and running!
You go out into the world, follow the flies to where they're swarming, catch as many as are required, and then head back to your den. If you have enough flies, you're brought back to the "den" screen, and the game is saved. From here you can either get started on the next hunt, or you can quit the game. The next time you load it your progression will be saved.

What I did today was mainly to connect huge building blocks that were all done - saving was done, swarming of different rooms was done and so on. But today I could really see the flow of the game for the first time. Still haven't really played it though, so I can just imagine all the tweaking it's going to need.

Aside from that I also sorted out a few quirks and gave some things cleaner solutions. For example, if the requirement for this hunt is to catch 5 flies, and you enter the den with four flies in your stomach and one in your hand, it still lets you in. That kind of stuff.

Oh, and items your bring into your den at the end of a hunt will reappear on the ground outside the den the next time you start playing. I think this will be neat in co-op, you'll be able to collect a little "armory" outside your den and run through it to collect some weapons before heading out into the world.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »

I must play this. Please dear merciful god let me test this gamee.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: April 10, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »

I could have sworn I'd posted in this thread before since I've been watching the game for a while but anyways, congrats on getting single-player running!

Based on your description, it'll be interesting to be able to finally be able to play through the game. Definitely appreciate the quirks like the flies requirement. Hand Thumbs Up Right

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »

Update 136
Today I made it possible to change the screen resolution from the menu. The game's resolution will always be 1024*768, but if you have a widescreen you might prefer black borders on the sides to a stretched image.

Also I wrestled for a bit with a glitch that has been around a long time. When you exit one room and enter another there's quite a bit of data for the game to load, and it's loading it all in one frame. For some reason Director has a thing where it pauses the sound if a frame drags on too long. This messes up James' beautiful music tracks, the beat is broken by the hiccup. Today I divided the load so that some of the heavier parts are spread out over a few different frames.

The hiccup has become clearly shorter, and in some cases doesn't appear at all. The problem is the lizards mapping out what part of the level they have access to, for intricate levels this might take almost half a second per lizard. I'll see if I could possible divide it even more. It really helps the immersion to have the sounds play continuously across levels.

Oh, and here's my sketching up some logos:

Here's the one I'm most fond of right now:

I'm going to travel a little, so things might be a little slow here for a week. See you!
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #386 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

classy
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »

Out of those, I like the one with the long i. The thicker one.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: April 11, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »

Use the one with the L shaped like a 2 for Rain World 2, hah.

Anyway, great logo and style! The top left "Rain" looks pretty iconic. That, or a simple ferret face like you've got in the bottom-right corner of the four ferrets (perhaps more as a circle?). Anyway, great work so far!

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: April 11, 2013, 11:43:25 PM »

I read it as 'Pain World', oddly appropriate.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: April 12, 2013, 04:35:46 AM »

ahh cool! im no visual artist, but i personally like these, because of the legibility AND because is looks sort of like some of the in-game environmental elements:

Here's the one I'm most fond of right now:

this one the stylization is really really cool BUT its a little illegible... "pain world". I think if its cleaned up just a bit it will look pretty awesome though.

One odd thing that I have an opinion on is having the lizard on the titlescreen. This may be just my silly opinion, but for some reason, I think it might spoil the spookiness of the first few lizard encounters by being confronted with it when you first start up. I liked having the initial impressions being about the bear and the environment and rain, with the lizards being this kind of lurking unknowable death in the shadows. Makes them more terrifying IMHO.

just my 2 cents!

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: April 12, 2013, 04:44:42 AM »

Wow... lovin it... this reminds me of Flashback and Heart of Darkness, smooth animations and good looking atmosphere!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

The "R" in the typo could use a little redefining for readability because like that it could go through as a "P"

And I seccond the lizzard opinion above for the sake of spookiness

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 12, 2013, 07:00:11 AM »

Hm. The lizard thing is a really good point. Perhaps the title screen could show off some more environment instead - it could still feature the "growers"(I hesitate to call them plants) that are a pretty iconic element of the RW environments.

The legibility issue is also something I should look at. The R should read R, for example. I think the type might need to have some more work done on it - it can most likely be made made more legible while retaining some of its graffiti-ish aesthetic. The drooping I versions are much more legible, but to me they look a little to "fantasy" and lack a certain "early cartoon" kind of vibe that I really appreciate in the other one.
fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 12, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

ahh cool! im no visual artist, but i personally like these, because of the legibility AND because is looks sort of like some of the in-game environmental elements:

I really like the second one there, I think it fits the feel of the game perfectly. I can imagine that in the top left of the title screen with a slowly scrolling example of one of the environments in the background
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »

Update 137

Today I added a little HUD detail, an indicator on the starting screen to how many flies you have to catch this particular hunt.

Later I'll upgrade it with actual graphics. The functionality is in though, it shows how many flies are needed and how many you have.

Other than this I added a new thing - saving flies in the den. As some of you might now, the basic premise of the game is that deadly rains haunt the place for several days in a row. The... creature you play needs food to survive, so when the rain briefly stops it goes out to hunt for bugs. It knows how many days the next rain will last, and has to catch one bug for every day. The game is divided into these "hunts". As the rain season goes on the rains will be longer and longer, demanding you to catch more and more flies in the same limited time.

The saving bugs feature means that if one hunt demands 4 flies, but you catch 6, you'll have 2 at the beginning of the next hunt. I don't know about whether or not to keep this, it seems a bit cheap. Maybe only half of the excess should be stored? That would create complicated rules that would have to be explained in text rather than visually, which is never a good thing. Hm...

As the creatures are clearly shown as eating the extra flies in-game it has to be assumed that they throw the food up again, especially since in co-operative the players share the same numbers. And then it comes to how long a thrown-up bug would last in a inevitably moist animal den, which is something that's too squicky for me to be compelled to simulate in code.

Let's see where to take this feature. It might stay in, and it might not. In either case, catching excess flies will be the way to measure the high score of a campaign playthrough.
Wolfbane
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: April 21, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »

Hey i really like the idea for this sneak / action platformer... if your looking for orchestrations for your videogame id like to work closely with you to make this game as engrossing as possible, hit me up if your looking for a no holds sound professional to collaborate with!!!

Some tunes that i feel work with your ideas here:

https://soundcloud.com/wolfasylum/excuses [more action orientated level]

https://soundcloud.com/wolfasylum/hive [more sneak / action]

https://soundcloud.com/wolfasylum/worn-out [boss level maybe?]

https://soundcloud.com/wolfasylum/fools-errand [sneak em up levels?]

Stuff along these lines maybe? If your liking the direction here drop me a line!

Email: [email protected]

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/wolfasylum
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »

Blink

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »

Man, never until I had one did I realize how fulltime a fulltime job is... It like... fills up your entire time.

Update 138
Today I worked some on the menu layout to have it make more sense. The most complicated menu screen is no doubt the Custom Game screen, so I started with that hoping that everything else would feel easy afterwards. Now I have the layout:

and also the functionality, so it's just a question of applying one on the other. And draw the actual icons and stuff, of course. These symbols are place holder.

The big squiggle will be the game type title, similar in style to the game's title screen. The arrows on the sides cycle through the game types. Between the two lines are the game type options, complete with level tier. The four little ellipses represent the players, you click them to toggle their participation in the game (four player mode is something I'm hoping to do, but I've not actually tried it so I'll have to see how the engine is able to handle it). Here I'll use the in-game sprites, they'll animate between the standard standing animation and a sleeping animation. Other than that there are some small buttons doing some small but necessary things, such as resetting things, scrolling and so on.

I think that I'll have the "all levels list" on the left dissapear down the edge of the screen when not used, in order to make the whole thing perfectly symmetric.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »

@Wolfbane
Hey thanks! I really like your stuff. However, I already have a music/sound artist on board, James Primate, who has made no less than 15 (!) awesome tracks for me as well as some sound effects. So we don't really need any more music. But you could always contact James, he's the one in charge of the music and maybe he has some ideas. He's on these forums.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 26, 2013, 01:44:43 AM »

Update 139

Yesterday I did some small but important changes, most notably changing the hard coded "if key is pressed" solutions for input into an actual input system, that I copied straight from my old game block towers. There's still no way to set up your controls, but I should get to that. Another thing I did was to save the options to a file in a similar manner to the save games, though not encrypted.

And I made this mock-up for a pause screen:

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic