Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:57:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447844 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4140 on: July 08, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »

Yeah, the mouth seems too incongruous IMO. Maybe if it wasn't totally mechanical, but flesh and teeth enhanced by machinery?

Or if it was fleshy pink with metal teeth?

I do like the mouth having extending struts. Reminds me of this

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: July 08, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »

Horizon's sequel confirm Who, Me?

We already have fluo blinking lizard it's not so bizarre to have mechanical teeth

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4142 on: July 08, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

Horizon's sequel confirm Who, Me?

We already have fluo blinking lizard it's not so bizarre to have mechanical teeth
Idk, lizards could either be bio-luminescent or bio-mechanical
The mouth here is definitely mechanical, having it so distinctly inorganic compared to everything else seems a bit out of place IMO

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: July 08, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »

also the slug cat is actually the bio weapon who brought down that civilization 'as you can tell with how he deal with foe much larger and deadly than him  and how mechanical device respond to his presence and seem made for him Ninja

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: July 08, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »

Hmm...maybe just change the color of the teeth to be white instead, and get rid of the little hole towards the end of the teeth. You could also make the mouth struts extending the mouth a little more natural looking.

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Woodledude
Level 0

What does this text field do?

View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: July 08, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, the mechanical mouthparts are great! Joar did say that he wanted some of these kinds of creatures in the game, and I personally really like the juxtaposition for both gameplay reasons and aesthetic ones. I think most of the complaints are being aimed at the fact that we haven't seen much of this up to this point, and I would personally really like it if you could add more things like this, possibly with a reason why there are organic and semi-organic creatures, instead of just one or the other.

One thing I will say - I think it would look better if the jaws felt more "attached". I feel like the flesh should connect a little more with the metal bits, just purely from a movement standpoint; i.e. the flesh should move with the teeth, like a set of dentures, almost.

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: July 08, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »

I probably dont have to reiterate that you guys are doing something special here... This stuff is insanely good.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4147 on: July 08, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »

Does the sea monster have any official name yet?

As far as I'm concerned, the mechanical mouthparts are great! Joar did say that he wanted some of these kinds of creatures in the game, and I personally really like the juxtaposition for both gameplay reasons and aesthetic ones. I think most of the complaints are being aimed at the fact that we haven't seen much of this up to this point, and I would personally really like it if you could add more things like this, possibly with a reason why there are organic and semi-organic creatures, instead of just one or the other.
Oh I definitely think that's it. The subtle "natural or engineered?" element is cool, but I don't think it has really been noticeable yet in any area of the game yet. If I hadn't been following the devlog, I would never think there was a bio-mechanical aspect to the ecosystem or even think that was a possibility. Once the narrative is in, it'll probably fit in fine

Woodledude
Level 0

What does this text field do?

View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »

You have a point there, Christian, and I just had a thought. Right now, it's not so much a case of it not fitting in as it is of it standing out, specifically from the other creatures. And I think that could be a good thing. It's a very dynamic way to surprise the player, with this one, giant, horrific creature having a car compactor fused to its head, and if Joar wanted, he could make this creature unique in that aspect, and it would serve as an interesting lead-in to part of a fan-based meta-narrative, or whatever else.

But if he wants it to feel like it belongs in Rainworld (at least as far as lore is concerned; I think it fits in with the aesthetic just fine), I think he would have to, at the very least, think about adding more creatures like this, that seem to have either appropriated the environment into their bodies or have been modified in some way by the precursors, or whatever else. It isn't "the norm" right now for creatures to have obviously/recognizably mechanical components, even if lore dictates that some, many, or all creatures are partially or fully mechanical.

Fledgling game designer. Be prepared for walls of text with little coherency and much rambling. Thank you for your time, and tell me what you think.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4149 on: July 08, 2015, 10:07:14 PM »

hahaha you know we cant just spill all the narrative and world aspects here right? that would spoil all the fun!  Well, hello there!

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: July 08, 2015, 10:49:41 PM »

hahaha you know we cant just spill all the narrative and world aspects here right? that would spoil all the fun!  Well, hello there!
Aw darn! *swing-snaps finger*

But hey, what kind of sound are you thinking for the Leviathan thing? I wanted to mess around with Audacity again and tried to make a "deep-sea monster" sound Smiley
https://soundcloud.com/chriswearly/leviathan
https://soundcloud.com/chriswearly/leviathan-dudududu

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:11 PM »

But hey, what kind of sound are you thinking for the Leviathan thing? [...]

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:06 PM »

But hey, what kind of sound are you thinking for the Leviathan thing? [...]

Ooh yeah, definitely like that!
Well these were fun to make Tongue
https://soundcloud.com/chriswearly/leviathan-waaaw-1
https://soundcloud.com/chriswearly/leviathan-waaaw2

And the first one with a 'Paulstretch' sounds so cool :D I've never done "sound design" so seeing these sounds come to life is so cool!
https://soundcloud.com/chriswearly/leviathan-waaaw-paulstretch

But anyway, James I do hope you make it sound as ominous as it looks >:3
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:46:10 PM by Chris Early » Logged

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: July 09, 2015, 06:25:54 AM »

Considering the Leviathan is still on the small side (and moves relatively fast), it would be a bit weird to have it make the slow roaring "Waaaw" sound. For the current iteration, I think it'd be better for it to make no "vocal" sounds at all, but make the swimming sound effects much more louder than the rest, or maybe make it the only creature to make a swimming sound (which becomes louder when it gets closer).
The 16x speed version of Bloop is a great example of how a seemingly natural water sound could feel very menacing.

As for the leviathan itself, I hope it doesn't have the same fervor in hunting the slugcat as direct predators like the lizards. Probably just me wanting to see a truly huge creature that doesn't really care about the player, but this one's certainly awesome too! Beer!

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4154 on: July 09, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »

So I guess we're calling it the Leviathan?

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: July 09, 2015, 07:09:40 AM »

As for the leviathan itself, I hope it doesn't have the same fervor in hunting the slugcat as direct predators like the lizards. Probably just me wanting to see a truly huge creature that doesn't really care about the player, but this one's certainly awesome too! Beer!
I too want some elephant or whale kind of big peaceful creature, but it seems like this one took a different direction.

As for the jaw look: I like the semi-mechanical idea, but I think the shown implementation is not quite "semi". Slightly more biological jaws would be better. I imagine them growing slowly like fingernails or a snail shell. So the shape should be rougher from being organically grown and worn out, but simpler. Basically just two rectangles - no "teeth" pattern and no cut corners, but plenty of rust and wear.
And those pistons on the sides could be a bit more organic too - uneven and slightly asymmetrical, maybe one or two broken ones. Maybe even crooked pistons (and/or springs?) instead of straight ones.
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: July 09, 2015, 08:42:51 AM »

This next one represents about the maximum amount of the creature you'll see in the actual game

You won't be able to dive deep like the first gif? I feel the full effect of the creature is lost if you only get to see it mainly on the surface. I would be absolutely terrified to be swimming down there and see that thing rise out of the black. Haha.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4157 on: July 09, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »

oh no, there is plenty of deep to swim in, so you'll get to see them in their full glory in the deep dark below. he means that physical creature size (for singular independent moving creatures at least) wont get much larger than the leviathan, as we could use water physics and huge open water rooms to make it work out.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: July 09, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »

(not that it can even grab you at all, but just from testing whether it's able to move up to me and boop me with its head)
This sentence got me thinking: This thing doesn't encounter slugcats all that often. Shouldn't it act towards the player with confusion and curiosity rather than aggression? With a creature this size that would still be pretty dangerous, but will give it a bit of a unique flavor.

It's not aggression. It's hunger. The hunger of a giant beast that needs to eat its weight in food every day to stay healthy, immersed in the putrid leakage from the garbage wastes in its desperation for a meal. I don't see how it would be able to resist even a small morsel like Slugcat. Evil
I imagine something that big, basically an aquatic apex predator, has little distinctions about what it eats. Frogs, slugcats, lizards that unfortunately fall in, vultures that get to close to the water...it's all meat.

And a beast that size...there has to be some other species between it and the frogs, that it eats, right? How else would it sustain itself? The frogs seems too small to keep it fed
Read up on filter-feeding whales and think again.

But this creature probably isn't a filter-feeder.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4159 on: July 09, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »

oh no, there is plenty of deep to swim in, so you'll get to see them in their full glory in the deep dark below. he means that physical creature size (for singular independent moving creatures at least) wont get much larger than the leviathan, as we could use water physics and huge open water rooms to make it work out.
Probably a narrative thing, but will the slugcat be able to hold its breath longer? Playing now, I feel like it's risky staying under the surface just for a few seconds. I can't imagine trying to maneuver around a giant sea creature while also running out of air
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:18:18 AM by Christian » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic