Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 12:50:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1452458 times)
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: July 21, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »

I dunno, it gives them the kind of suspicion you want out of them.

Moving or not, they kind of look like rubber to me. The second GIF there, it looks like they are stretching. They don't really look like the kind of plant to do that. That is my main complaint.

Looking good otherwise though.

Unrelated note:
@James and Joar
I have been looking at the old alpha pictures from way back. I think there is a certain appeal in them for me. What are the odds of maybe having a setting to turn off the wavering shadows and fog and such? Especially for lower end laptops, with that shader bug...?  Smiley
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: July 21, 2015, 10:16:27 PM »

Do they move a little in their idle state? If no - then it's just super evil towards the player. "Immobile plants are safe. Wait, what? Shitshitshitshitshitshitshit!!!"

I don't see the problem  Wink In all seriousness tough, this shock value is sort of what I was going for - I trust James to introduce them gradually to make it fair for the player though.

I dunno, it gives them the kind of suspicion you want out of them.

Moving or not, they kind of look like rubber to me. The second GIF there, it looks like they are stretching. They don't really look like the kind of plant to do that. That is my main complaint.

Looking good otherwise though.

Unrelated note:
@James and Joar
I have been looking at the old alpha pictures from way back. I think there is a certain appeal in them for me. What are the odds of maybe having a setting to turn off the wavering shadows and fog and such? Especially for lower end laptops, with that shader bug...?  Smiley

I was actually going for something like this:

rather than a plant per se. It's kind of in the nature of a plant not to be able to move and grab stuff after all! As for the shader stuff, yeah there will likely be some graphics settings to turn the effects down or off. I recognize that we have lost a certain quality that the older, more lo-fi look had, but we've been gaining a lot of other qualities in exchange!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: July 21, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »

Don't worry, I got the "anemone" aspect. Then again, calling it worm grass is kinda asking for confusion a bit Wink
adge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: July 21, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »

I think they are totally awesome!! Perfect in any way.
CYON4D
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: July 22, 2015, 12:10:11 AM »

Fantastic. I love how you tackle the technical side of things. Everything looks and feels organic.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: July 22, 2015, 01:06:01 AM »

Kinda reminds me of those rubbery tentacles from Another World Smiley

I like the speed idea. Players probably won't be caught except when being stunned like being thrown down from a very high place. Hope to see more interactions with other creatures as well!

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: July 22, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »

Thank you :D

Logo sketches over the years. Please ignore the different levels of finish, and try to look at the general shapes and moods.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13:

14:
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: July 22, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »

The second half looks pretty creepy. Shocked
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4248 on: July 22, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »

Just due to the familiarity, this is still my favorite

But I really like the simplified font of this one. It's much easier to read

That second one, combined with the color and overgrowth and faded look of the first, could look really cool

But the slugcat illustration in the first is still the best IMO

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: July 22, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »

I told you it had creepy weird undertone Tongue

first still my fav Who, Me?

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: July 22, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »

Can't pick a favorite (and I hope this doesn't turn into a vote!)

So, some thoughts:

Seeing the slugcat's musculature creeps me out. In the game it's a pure white silhouette; don't mess with that too much.

I really like the letters outlined by rain. It would look fantastic animated; the rain could build in intensity, gradually revealing the letters. Don't be afraid to do all of RAINWORLD in that style. I think it'd look great.

I've never been a fan of the graff-style letters with X and + on them. Too hard to read.

The slugcat that goes with that logo is the best one though.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: July 22, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4252 on: July 22, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »

Can't pick a favorite (and I hope this doesn't turn into a vote!)

So, some thoughts:

Seeing the slugcat's musculature creeps me out. In the game it's a pure white silhouette; don't mess with that too much.

I really like the letters outlined by rain. It would look fantastic animated; the rain could build in intensity, gradually revealing the letters. Don't be afraid to do all of RAINWORLD in that style. I think it'd look great.

I've never been a fan of the graff-style letters with X and + on them. Too hard to read.

The slugcat that goes with that logo is the best one though.
Especially with the look of the new rain shaders, that would be an awesome idea

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: July 22, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »

Those slugcat pics are sweet. Are they canon now? Have you contacted the author?

As for logos, It's hard to pick the best. I guess 10 is a good baseline - "the shapes and moods", as you said, are spot on, but it needs a whole lot of tweaking. Pose of the slugcat looks very un-cute - the ones on 7 and 8 are way better. And while shape of the letters is really cool, they miss the feel of 3-4-5 and 14 - they are not part of The World. I think it's kinda important for this game to convey the look and the mood of The World with just a logo, so it should be as grounded as possible.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4254 on: July 22, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »

After Crispy's comments, on second thought, 5) is my favorite

The rain + the letters looking like parts of debris or ruins really tie in nicely with the game's tone and atmosphere. Some color and some hanging overgrowth and faded texture on "World", it could look fantastic

Saijin_Naib
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: July 22, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »

I really, really, really like elements of 4/10/14 all.

So, I mashed them up really quick. To me, this feels like it communicates the feel of the game well, and looks interesting.

Without a doubt, someone with more ability could take the concept further and make it really shine.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4256 on: July 22, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »

The font in ten is beautiful and the colours and atmosphere of the first os unforgettable. It is the image In my mind that represents rain workds strangely vibrant dystopia.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4257 on: July 22, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »

it probably seems like quite a lot dropping all these ideas all at once, but we've been working on this in the dark for months and months and months of course, (with multiple graphic designers even!) and quite a lot is skipped over as well, haha.

Note that the work Joar is showing here is about the font specifically, as the setting and use of the illustration are just quick mockups to show context. In that regard, *i humbly request that these not be shared around* as we intend to do a cool "Big Reveal" sort of thing when it is all polished and where we want it to be. The ceiling is MUCH higher than this  Cool

Those slugcat pics are sweet. Are they canon now? Have you contacted the author?

Yes indeed! We've been working with the extremely talented Del http://deldraws.tumblr.com/ for a couple of months now, and have some Big Plans in that direction. These just are some of the early pose sketches shes done for us so far:

Detail: https://i.imgur.com/sx89CJR.jpg

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:37:26 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4258 on: July 22, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »

Not the best at Photoshop, but mixed elements of my favorites (1,5,10)
I love the colorful overgrowth, faded textures, and weird glyphs of 1, with the rain background and ruined debris look of 5, and the font of 10

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: July 22, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »

It is a lot of designs to look at and compare. I'm gonna swim upstream (as usual) and say I like the clean designs and fonts. It's definitely hard to move away from the graffiti style after seeing it for years but the clean one just... look better.

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic