Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:22:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421771 times)
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5360 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »

Todo for initial release: audio and music, some narrative stuff, some set piece, some art stuff, a few more creatures, a few more systems and some general "getting it all to work nicely" stuff. Sounds like a lot, but comparatively speaking we are on the home stretch and feeling very pretty dang good about things!  Toast Right

Toast Left Awesome!! Looking forward to getting beers with you James after I come back from MAGFest

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5361 on: February 15, 2016, 09:51:09 AM »

Toast Left Awesome!! Looking forward to getting beers with you James after I come back from MAGFest

yes sir! def say hi to our illustrator Del at MAGfest, she may have some slugcatty stuff at her booth Gentleman

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: February 17, 2016, 10:03:12 AM »

So I think I'm going to start playing around with some Fish AI™ sometime soon... Any pr0tips from the masters?

Some link from this very forums

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1047025;topicseen#msg1047025
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1047403;topicseen#msg1047403
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1047410;topicseen#msg1047410
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1049548;topicseen#msg1049548
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1064243;topicseen#msg1064243
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1064620;topicseen#msg1064620
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1115456;topicseen#msg1115456
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1071489;topicseen#msg1071489
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.msg1070114;topicseen#msg1070114

I believe I was the one who introduced utility AI theory to rain world (along with concept like djikstra map and occupency grid)

presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »

It's sad that the updates on this devlog have slowed down so much... I get that a lot of the stuff currently being worked on is not really good devlog content, but what am I going to spend hours over analyzing now?  Cry Cry
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: February 18, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »

Woah! Thanks.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: February 18, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »

That said Joar must have all the credits for actually having implement and perfect these concept to AI heaven.
I was just relaying the information.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5366 on: February 18, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »

That said Joar must have all the credits for actually having implement and perfect these concept to AI heaven.
I was just relaying the information.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  But it can make a huge difference if it's in the right direction. Grin

Thanks for the links.  It's interesting to see how Reasoner/AI code has evolved over the years and can be:
-Script based
-Rule based
-Utility based
-Plan based
or some combination of those depending on the game.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5367 on: February 18, 2016, 08:27:05 PM »

It's sad that the updates on this devlog have slowed down so much... I get that a lot of the stuff currently being worked on is not really good devlog content, but what am I going to spend hours over analyzing now?  Cry Cry

sorry!! not to be a tease, but the stuff being worked on now is AMAZING devlog content, but its all massive spoilers, so...  Ninja

well... except what im working on, but nobody wants to hear a million clips of subtly different background audio. "heres a blend of filtered white noise and a field recording of mountain air that im using for the "Grid" subregion of Sky Islands. I use a subtle lowpass filter and pitch shift to create a sense of the winds increasing in strength as the player climbs higher" etc etc.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:32:44 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5368 on: February 19, 2016, 02:10:44 AM »

Nobody wants to hear a million clips of subtly different background audio. "heres a blend of filtered white noise and a field recording of mountain air that im using for the "Grid" subregion of Sky Islands. I use a subtle lowpass filter and pitch shift to create a sense of the winds increasing in strength as the player climbs higher" etc etc.

Nobody here, bring it on o/

Audio in games is very interesting (at least to nobodies like me), so I'd really like to hear how you've built your engine and what not. Foley is another great topic; what the sounds heard in game really are!

- - - -
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: February 19, 2016, 03:28:27 AM »

Oh I'd love to hear about the music process! I might not understand any of the jargon, but I might come back one day and read through once I understand everything Smiley

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: February 19, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »

sorry!! not to be a tease, but the stuff being worked on now is AMAZING devlog content, but its all massive spoilers, so...  Ninja

well... except what im working on, but nobody wants to hear a million clips of subtly different background audio. "heres a blend of filtered white noise and a field recording of mountain air that im using for the "Grid" subregion of Sky Islands. I use a subtle lowpass filter and pitch shift to create a sense of the winds increasing in strength as the player climbs higher" etc etc.
At the very least, you could post some photos of the field recording location or share some silly foley art anecdotes  Ninja
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: February 19, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »

Nobody wants to hear a million clips of subtly different background audio. "heres a blend of filtered white noise and a field recording of mountain air that im using for the "Grid" subregion of Sky Islands. I use a subtle lowpass filter and pitch shift to create a sense of the winds increasing in strength as the player climbs higher" etc etc.

Audio in games is very interesting (at least to nobodies like me), so I'd really like to hear how you've built your engine and what not. Foley is another great topic; what the sounds heard in game really are!
I too would like to hear about how thine engine was built.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: February 19, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »

I am also nobody! Sound design is fun!

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: February 19, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

I am also nobody! Sound design is fun!

Hear hear!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5374 on: February 20, 2016, 06:39:25 AM »

totally! im taking an ear break, so let me tell you a little about the ambiance audio engine Joar has assembled.

Here is a snip of it in action. For the sake of clarity, its a super simple one i just put together from the Underhang region:

larger: https://i.imgur.com/nqSniyS.png

Might look a bit busy even so, but the concepts are pretty simple. Basically, there are 3 main types of sound objects that can be spawned: Omnidirectional, which applies a sound to the entire room; Directional, which pans a sound to the right or left side of the stereo field; and Spot which places a sound object along an X,Y coordinate. All of these are selected out of that large box on the right, which holds all the ambiance audio loops ive been creating over the past month or so, and any loop can be used as any type of sound object,

For Spot the player acts as a kind of microphone moving through 2d space, so the nested circles you see represents the area that a sound can be heard in. The inner circle is where the sound is at its peak volume (as chosen by the sliders in that objects option boxes that you can see on the left), and then fading out until the outer circle.

So between these 3 tools quite a lot of things can be accomplished, even in a simple form like here. Because you can spawn and blend multiple omnidirectional sounds, you can create a sense of shifting scenery as the player moves from room to room through the regions, giving a cohesive sense of space and aural geography; for instance winds growing stronger as you climb a huge structure, and the ground ambiance slowly fading away. By adding spot sounds to that you can bring to life the background environment: the hum of an old machine, bugs buzzing around a pile of rubble, howling winds on a little hilltop, etc.

I'll do a proper lil video when I hit a stopping point, but here at least is a clip i posted on twitter that shows 10 sec of moving through a sound environment with the audio devtools on so you can see whats happening: https://twitter.com/RainWorldGame/status/698109778137124864

Its super fun, but man did i set myself a huge task, as usual. Initially the idea was going to be to get general ambiance audio per region/subregion and throw in a few Spot objects here and there on certain significant objects to spice it up. But once you've established a certain level of detail by adding the Spot sounds, theres no going back; the ear likes to hear the movement of the player through a dynamic sound world, so rooms / screens without the spot sound detail seem noticeably dull by comparison. So now i find myself having to go through all 1467 screens with laser attuned ears.... all in the span of 2 weeks or so. Absolute madness!!! But, its getting done. After i finish Underhang today, theres just one more to do.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5375 on: February 20, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »

mmh. it might be because of bad audio compression, but it seemed like the splash sound was pretty awfully centered. is there going to be no reverb in enclosed areas?
the sound design seems good from what I've seen though Hand Thumbs Up Left

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5376 on: February 20, 2016, 09:49:46 AM »

splash wouldnt be centered! its spatially attached to the players position in the stereo field. also individual water splash droplets have their own audio triggers, with doppler and a few step velocity, so you might be hearing that stuff flailing about as well. ALSO this was before Joar re-attached the low-pass filter, so we miss that cool underwater effect, but thats back in now.

what were doing is a *little* weird for sure. a bit of a hybrid system between platformer types where diegetic audio is heavily omni, and the fully spatial audio of 3d games, plus then were throwing in all sorts of strange programmatic stuff like the doppler, randomized pitch/etc functions. its very much like the rest of the game in that regard, lol! but in the context of moving through rooms and regions it makes sense
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:06:11 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: February 20, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »

Geez. The game has two regions that could be considered "final" regions, which one is more final depends a bit on your specific playthrough and how you count. They're Subterranean and Superstructure. I have spent significantly more than a month (working about 200%) on superstructure content.  Now I'm there again. James has also spent a month on it, but he says he will be passing over it at least twice again, maybe more. By now, superstructure has an insane amount of content. Not like, half the content of the game, but definitely, say... 6 times the content of a standard region. I hesitate to do the maths, but by the time we finish it we will have spent something like... 4 man-months on that region specifically. None of it has made it to the internet. The region is vast, but the sheer amount of stuff makes it a real problem to fit everything in in a way that doesn't become a complete cacophony and sensory overload from the very entrance room.

Not really sure what this post is about, probably just complaining  Wink But yeah, that region  Shocked
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: February 20, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »

By now, superstructure has an insane amount of content. Not like, half the content of the game, but definitely, say... 6 times the content of a standard region. I hesitate to do the maths, but by the time we finish it we will have spent something like... 4 man-months on that region specifically. None of it has made it to the internet.
You did just spoil its name though...
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: February 20, 2016, 04:37:11 PM »

Geez. The game has two regions that could be considered "final" regions, which one is more final depends a bit on your specific playthrough and how you count. They're Subterranean and Superstructure. I have spent significantly more than a month (working about 200%) on superstructure content.  Now I'm there again. James has also spent a month on it, but he says he will be passing over it at least twice again, maybe more. By now, superstructure has an insane amount of content. Not like, half the content of the game, but definitely, say... 6 times the content of a standard region. I hesitate to do the maths, but by the time we finish it we will have spent something like... 4 man-months on that region specifically. None of it has made it to the internet. The region is vast, but the sheer amount of stuff makes it a real problem to fit everything in in a way that doesn't become a complete cacophony and sensory overload from the very entrance room.

Not really sure what this post is about, probably just complaining  Wink But yeah, that region  Shocked
Well you can call me hyped
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic