Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:00:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443741 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5620 on: April 30, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »

How's multiplayer and co-op coming along? Haven't been much discussion on those in a while

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5621 on: April 30, 2016, 10:38:44 PM »

How's multiplayer and co-op coming along? Haven't been much discussion on those in a while

ah, this is a very good question! long story short: in order to get the game out to players sometime this decade, we had to prioritize. so the initial release will be the single player mode, followed a little while later by a large update focusing on multiplayer and NG+ gameplay.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: May 01, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »

Looks amazing as always.. I just love how lively and natural this game are.
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: May 01, 2016, 03:22:55 AM »

Update 531

Food pt. 3, jellyfish!

Can you make tentacles not just disappear on the last bite, but be sucked in like spaghetti?
Profesh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: May 01, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

A very nice 15min in-depth sneak peek with Gamespot from PAX East :

Spellbinding, as ever.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5625 on: May 01, 2016, 10:41:33 PM »

Can you make tentacles not just disappear on the last bite, but be sucked in like spaghetti?
I second this! :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:33:08 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: May 03, 2016, 07:00:07 AM »

Sorry about the quiet atm, crunching for a big Adult Swim deadline!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5627 on: May 04, 2016, 02:14:59 AM »

one thing thats been interesting(?) to realize over the course of showing rain world at various conventions, interviews and events, etc., is just how much information needs to be conveyed in order to give a person an idea of "what the game is about". I usually try to gauge a person's interest first and give a series of shorter answers that work by themselves, but also can be stacked up and elaborated on if the person seems like they are willing to go deep into it.

this article isnt entirely accurate with some of the details (i was either misquoted a few times or *really* tired for whatever interview it was taken from), but is also kind of spot on in how it presents the game. details or not, the author totally gets it, and thats pretty encouraging: http://www.gamesradar.com/rain-world-wants-you-to-feel-bad-for-killing-its-hungry-enemies/

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: May 04, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »

Update 532

Adding some scavenger specific items. The scavenger lantern:

(The graphic of the actual lantern might change a bit, I'm reusing another sprite atm which I'm not 100% happy with)

The scav lanterns are very valuable in Shadow Urban, as they are strong, reliant light sources that can be carried in one hand and don't struggle/flee like the Lantern Mice.

Scavenger fire spear:

The fire spear is a spear with a fabric around the top, apparently containing some powder of some sort. These are terrifying when being used against you, but can also be a valuable resource as they're a very powerful offence. The sneaky game design trick here is that while they appear super terrifying when used against you, they don't actually make the game much harder, as you die from just a normal spear already. Contrary, scavengers attacking you with these might provide a small benefit as that gives you the chance to get your hands on one.

As you might notice, these items are basically purely better versions of already existing items. The idea with that is not to ruin the balance of the game, but to provide a reason for interacting with scavengers. Scavs are the only source of these goodies, and in order to get your hands on them you'll need to either trade with, be friends with or fight the scavengers, each with their corresponding consequences.

kizmarh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: May 04, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »

One thing that I always wanted to ask, and remembered again reading the review above, especially “If you want to join a tribe of other animals, you can do that as well.”

I wonder, if you'd stick to Scavengers until the rain comes, what would happen? The same question is for other animals too — would it be possible to find the shelters those animals are using? If those animals are big, would it be explained in some way that you can't follow them to their dens, or it would be just a gameplay feature that you just can't and animals would disappear when going to other screen or in their dens, inaccessible for you?

New items look good, I think it is nice to have more variations of the already existent things!
David Berman
Level 0

Softcore Bohemian

View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: May 04, 2016, 07:49:54 AM »

none! or at least very little. its a sandbox, with multiple ways through every path, so we really want people to experiment and discover things for themselves. in fact often when showing the game we see players finding solutions that we didnt even anticipate, which is amazing! handholding would spoil that i think.

that said, im working on the tutorial right now, which is few rooms of environmental puzzles forcing the player to learn basics of control and game mechanics, perhaps with a little glowing holographic helping hand  Gomez

Ideally these 'tricks' could be learnt through observation as well as experimentation - for example by observing Scavengers (or other creatures) spearing corn or dunking seeds.
DeadToast
Level 0

DeadToast Entertainment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5631 on: May 04, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »

This game gives me very deep and real special feelings. <3

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5632 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »

It's looking awesome! Will it be at E3 by any chance?  Gentleman

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5633 on: May 04, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »

I third it Hand Thumbs Up Right

ECHOPLEX Early Access MARCH 2017
Get notified when ECHOPLEX releases
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: May 04, 2016, 12:44:58 PM »

Quaruple it.  Shocked Hand Thumbs Up Right

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5635 on: May 04, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »

It's looking awesome! Will it be at E3 by any chance?  Gentleman

yes indeed! not sure if i can properly announce it yet, but it will be at one of the big booths Ninja

anyway, pls come say hi!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5636 on: May 04, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »

Quaruple it.  Shocked Hand Thumbs Up Right

I love you guys, haha. Never fails to amuse me when we're slaving over putting in some huge overly ambitious systems, the thread can always be counted on to keep us on track with what's really important: cute Slugcat interactions!!

Quintupled!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: May 04, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »

The real question is how difficult it is to do? How much time it will ... eat!

presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: May 04, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »

Will the jellyfish also do the stun on other creatures? If I felt particularily vindictive could I throw one on a lizard to tangle it up and shock it?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: May 05, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »

Still deep in crunch. These last couple of days have been about 6 updates worth of progress, but not enough time to assemble a single one! We'll debrief you guys a bit as we come down on the other end!
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic