Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:05:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443848 times)
BartsBlue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5640 on: May 06, 2016, 04:47:17 AM »

As a part of silent majority that just drops in to this thread from time to time, only to realize everything interesting / helpful / funny has already been said and leave, I'd just like to give a proper shoutout to Joar and James: this is the final stretch, keep crunching, don't worry about the updates.

Rain World is shaping up lovely! I'm actually proud of myself that I backed it on Kickstarter and the only thing that bugs me is that I should have paid more back then to support you (and get the extras, tee hee). All the best from Poland!

PS. Sextupled on the whole "tentacles sucked in like spaghetti" thing. And yes, that is a real word, I just checked.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5641 on: May 06, 2016, 05:05:40 AM »

Stay healthy and keep up the good work, guys. No need to worry about updates, we understand

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: May 07, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »

Hi!
Learned about this game's existence three days ago... I just finished reading the 283 pages! What can I say that hasn't been said? Amazing game made by amazing devs followed by an amazing community!
Congrats to Joar and James for making such an amazing game  Toast Left Smiley  
Still funny to think it came from 'One screen with three A, B and C creature interacting with each other' to '1400+ rooms made of several screens filled with a living ecosystem'  Cheesy

And how could all of you wait for this game while keeping your sanity? It's coming out in a few months and I can't wait for it already!  Crazy
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:55:09 AM by Slugpup » Logged
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: May 07, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »

James! More off-topic music/sound stuff here:

You know how you were using junk audio for the soundtrack? Have you by any chance heard of Matmos? Their new album is made up entirely of samples from a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washing machine, and it is amazing.
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5644 on: May 07, 2016, 05:42:33 PM »

I'm so happy I have discovered TIGForums. This is incredibly captivating.
I learned about this because I was reading the Obra Dinn devlog and saw the award this got back in 2014. I am currently on page 74 and I plan to finish all the pages. Eventually! (It might be a month or two at this rate, haha....)
Keep doing what you are doing. What I have seen so far makes me want to make my own game!

EDIT: I just reached the April Fools update from last year. Thank you for making me laugh my ass off  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:52:44 PM by jprosk » Logged
DarthTrae
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5645 on: May 08, 2016, 12:21:34 AM »

I usually avoid pixel art but this one looks great to me!!  Smiley
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5646 on: May 12, 2016, 08:09:50 AM »

Just learned about another game that's planning an ecosystem with an adaptative AI

Nothing like Rain World genre/gameplay-wise, but I really enjoy seeing devs trying to advance AI in interesting ways

http://twirlbound.com/pine/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:07:12 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5647 on: May 16, 2016, 07:00:52 PM »

Just learned about another game that's planning an ecosystem with an adaptative AI

Nothing like Rain World genre/gameplay-wise, but I really enjoying seeing devs trying to advance AI in interesting ways

http://twirlbound.com/pine/

ah yeah! it needs to happen and there is absolutely no reason not to... other than that its messy and time consuming and rich with infinite feature creep potential  Cry

the description is a little jargony for my tastes though, i hope we dont come across like that haha

David Berman
Level 0

Softcore Bohemian

View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: May 17, 2016, 05:31:52 PM »

I had a slow week at work and accidentally skimmed through the whole dev log again...

A few thoughts actually:

It was really interesting to see how way back at the start, pre-kickstarter, a publicly accessible level editor was a key aspect of development, which suddenly made me very nostalgic for early Unreal engine mapping - understandably once things switched to Unity (and probably a while before then really!) and priorities shifted it became a means to an end rather than a focus. I'm sure it is the furthest thing from your minds now you are on the home stretch but I wondered in a related and roundabout way how moddable the game would be? It seems like things have become way too complicated for a super user friendly level editor - the levels and accompanying effects/AI mapping are way more intricate now so I imagine that is off the table, but I wonder what the scope will be otherwise?

The combined threat track from a few pages back was really cool - can't wait to hear the soundtrack in action, but it obviously totally works as a standalone piece too!

Then quickly looking at a few of the recent smaller additions - most of the new food sources/tools look and seem really cool, but in a bit of nit-picky way I wondered about the Jellyfish, Lantern and Fire Spear... the jellyfish body itself seems a little static (though that is based on one gif - I feel hypercritical, sorry!), though that could be on purpose of course, highlighting their buoy like quality. The lantern's look was already described as maybe a placeholder so again, perhaps early to be critical, but with both the lantern and fire spear I wondered if they feel slightly... gamey? Compared to the smoke bomb/plant for example, both seem at first glance a little too forced or placed in the world? Whereas many of the other common video game item tropes have been somewhat subverted (ie. the tube worm grappling hooks) these seem maybe slightly out of place? If they are meant to be junky and mechanical and definitely linked to the scavengers, who rummage around looking for old tech/useful things such as these, perhaps the mechanical/junk nature could be emphasized?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:38:14 PM by David Berman » Logged
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5649 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:49 PM »

It was really interesting to see how way back at the start, pre-kickstarter, a publicly accessible level editor was a key aspect of development, which suddenly made me very nostalgic for early Unreal engine mapping - understandably once things switched to Unity (and probably a while before then really!) and priorities shifted it became a means to an end rather than a focus. I'm sure it is the furthest thing from your minds now you are on the home stretch but I wondered in a related and roundabout way how moddable the game would be? It seems like things have become way too complicated for a super user friendly level editor - the levels and accompanying effects/AI mapping are way more intricate now so I imagine that is off the table, but I wonder what the scope will be otherwise?

ah yeah! for the level editor, its not so much the move to unity as 1. that it has to run on super outdated tech (instanced within Adobe Director), and 2. that it has become *insanely* complex and unintuitive at this point. We'd likely need an equal amount of time to develop that for public use as the game itself! Also, since the game world has become so huge and factoring in the eventual multiplayer rooms and all of that... i feel like the last thing people are going to want is *more* maps, lol. But I could be wrong!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5650 on: May 19, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »

placing in magic mushroom consumables, so now its officially A Real Video Game:

GUYS THIS MONTH HAS BEEN SO WILD YOU DONT EVEN KNOW!!

presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: May 19, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »

Please tell me that the magic mushrooms make the pups grow bigger.   Well, hello there!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: May 19, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »

If they makes the pups grow bigger that's the mac donald of rain world

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5653 on: May 19, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »

dropping my annual <3 on the this thing <3 <3 <3

jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5654 on: May 23, 2016, 03:45:16 AM »

Well I just finished, finally. Looks like a couple weeks was a better estimate for how long it would take me Smiley
ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5655 on: May 23, 2016, 04:13:43 AM »

Man I'm so pumped for this game <3

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5656 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:10 AM »

Well I just finished, finally. Looks like a couple weeks was a better estimate for how long it would take me Smiley

what a brave soul!  Beer!

presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: May 23, 2016, 06:40:29 AM »

So how much stuff is left to be done? Is stuff like the sandbox mode, the arena, etc. implemented to completion?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5658 on: May 23, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »

shockingly little tbh! Shocked we have some insane deadline that were trying to meet right now, but its mostly testing and bug-hunts and touch-up stuff, trying to get the experience right.

the past few weeks have been wild though! i find it hard to find a place to begin to talk about it. we've been living in an echo chamber for years (well aware!), so having it going through legit testing by normal gamer types has been seriously eye-opening. not in a bad way necessarily, just that its quite apparent that a lot of the cool systems of the game are completely opaque, and so now were trying to find ways of making it so you dont need to read 284 pages of devblog to be able to see some of them.

Lucs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: May 24, 2016, 01:30:29 AM »

the past few weeks have been wild though! i find it hard to find a place to begin to talk about it. we've been living in an echo chamber for years (well aware!), so having it going through legit testing by normal gamer types has been seriously eye-opening. not in a bad way necessarily, just that its quite apparent that a lot of the cool systems of the game are completely opaque, and so now were trying to find ways of making it so you dont need to read 284 pages of devblog to be able to see some of them.

I thought most of the different systems were well introduced, what are those you are referring to (wich are not transparent for these average gamers) ?
Maybe we can help  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic