Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:16:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447083 times)
Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5960 on: November 24, 2016, 05:25:19 AM »

No its actually just alot of hand placed different coloured triangles.  I made an action on photoshop so that overtime i hit the f1 key it takes my selection and duplicates the layer and blurs it,  then of course I just start making hundreds of triangles with this method.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: November 26, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »

Just dropping by with hugs for everyone.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5962 on: November 27, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »

thanks friend! seriously, its been quite a month. hope you all are holding up as well.

totally boring update: right now were finishing up the PS4 port and sheesh its tedious. the code is super old and undocumented, so the port team (who apparently have infinite patience) will change one thing to optimize this or that, and it'll accidentally break or change something else. so im basically just running new builds of the game constantly and checking every room and event over and over to make sure nothing new has broken. but other than taking a long time its going pretty well. they have been able to get some really impressive frame rates in spots that previously would grind, and we've been able to apply a good deal of their technical knowledge to the PC version as well, so its basically made everything better.

Joar just moved back to Sweden from Seoul, so I'd expect him to be checking in here more regularly. Del is rushing rushing rushing to get through a seemingly unending list of illustration work from us. we've gotten so much feedback thats basically "the illustrations are amazing, there should be more of them", so were trying to get as much in as possibly before this last deadline. With the holidays and post election depression its been a struggle though.

anyway, the grind continues! we'll be showing rain world at the playstation experience (PSX) in a week, and should have a shiny new RW trailer for that, as well as some other fun stuff. cheers friends, hope you are all well!  Toast Right

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5963 on: November 27, 2016, 07:33:16 PM »

Thank you for the update James ! sounds like everything is nearing the end.

Really looking forward to the new trailer. Will there be a new gameplay video included ?
also, still no release date ( or a more accurate estimation ) ?

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5964 on: November 29, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »

Oh hey its Del's official Rain World PSX trading card featured w/ Persona 5 & Last Guardian, no big deal  My Word!

jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5965 on: November 30, 2016, 06:00:27 AM »

Hey James, quick question: now that the game is nearing release, and I know that Im most likely getting it on ps4 -- is there some way to preorder the game for ps4? If not, will there be one soon? I'd really love to to support the game with a preorder!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5966 on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »

thanks jprosk! means a lot.

no news on a pre-order yet! sony has a pretty tight pre-order policy that requires us to have passed through their extensive certification first, which were in the process of doing now (though it takes a little while, especially since we're doing it in multiple languages).

actually is the same with their policy for release dates too, which is why we havent been able to say anything for so long. but supposedly once we clear through those teeedious hurdles everything should lock in place pretty quickly.

i hope  Screamy

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5967 on: December 03, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »

Man, I was hoping to see Rain World pop during the indie segment. Looking forward to the new trailer

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: December 03, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »

It's here!

I don't like that scavangers are shown only as enemies, I think they could've been in both combat and peaceful segments. Now more people will assume they're hostile and attack them first. And the framerate on the background rain of the logo screen still looks off.

But I still like the trailer as a whole. And I like that you kinda half-remade the first alpha trailer with it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:20:24 AM by Teod » Logged
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: December 03, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »

(Don't use youtu.be shortlinks, they don't work here.)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5970 on: December 03, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »

Thanks dudes! This isn't THE trailer, just something we whipped up last minute for PSX. But I've been wanting to redo the alpha since forever so this was a fun opportunity!  Hand Joystick
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:00:59 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5971 on: December 04, 2016, 06:47:23 AM »

Thanks dudes! This isn't THE trailer, just something we whipped up last minute for PSX. But I've been wanting to redo the alpha since forever so this was a fun opportunity!  Hand Joystick
I thought that music seemed familar!

What a different two years makes

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: December 04, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »

Damn, that is an amazing trailer! I don't know what half those creatures are. The birds, scavengers, and long legged moose (?) in particular look awesome. Can't wait to part this!

lakithunder
Level 0

The Coolest of Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: December 04, 2016, 06:43:44 PM »

Damn, that is an amazing trailer! I don't know what half those creatures are. The birds, scavengers, and long legged moose (?) in particular look awesome. Can't wait to part this!

you can find them all in the devlog a few (hundred) pages back, except what's at 1:31. that's new.

It reminds me of something from cave story
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:51:52 PM by lakithunder » Logged
kizmarh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: December 05, 2016, 07:02:17 AM »

I don't like that scavangers are shown only as enemies, I think they could've been in both combat and peaceful segments. Now more people will assume they're hostile and attack them first.

I would object: it would be more interesting for players to find out that “enemies” actually have different personality, and often are not strictly enemies, but just other beings with their own agenda. And befriending ones by choice would be more exiting than by following what you saw in trailers.
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: December 05, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »

I don't like that scavangers are shown only as enemies, I think they could've been in both combat and peaceful segments. Now more people will assume they're hostile and attack them first.

I would object: it would be more interesting for players to find out that “enemies” actually have different personality, and often are not strictly enemies, but just other beings with their own agenda. And befriending ones by choice would be more exiting than by following what you saw in trailers.

Personally I think the trailer would probably attract a larger variety of potential players if they showcase (or at least hint at) the fact that the "enemies" have a complex behaviour pattern and may not follow the normal, simplistic rules of enemy AI.

I think a lot of people would be drawn in just by the fact that the game has that kind of ecology/psychology built into all of its life forms, including people who would ordinarily not be into an action-platformer kind of game.

While I do agree that it would be neat to discover these things as a complete surprise while playing, the trailer really needs to get people to play in the first place and it would be a shame not to show off one of the most unique features of PRW.

(Trailer looks AWESOME by the way. The feeling of a driving rain that shakes the earth was really powerful in a way that "rain" usually is NOT)
Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: December 06, 2016, 08:38:18 AM »

you can find them all in the devlog a few (hundred) pages back, except what's at 1:31. that's new.

I think that besides what's at 1:31, there are a few other things that weren't shown or mentionned, like what the slugcat throws at 0:36 or the exceptionnal size of the red lizard at 0:45 (The very essence of a slugcat nightmare I guess  Shocked).

I think that might just as well reflect the fear the slugcat might have of this weird and unknown world, and guide the player towards the global thoughts a 'real' slugcat might have in the heat of the moment and that the player, with it's cold and analytic disposition probably wouldn't have, like "Yikes, they have spears, so they must be hostile Crazy!" (I don't think most of us really would try to peacefully befriend a pack of unknown beasties pointing their spears towards you in a threatening way if put in situation).
In short, it might help us to feel a lot more like a slugcat would feel! (I guess)

Anyway awesome trailer, really excited for this game, and good luck to all the dev team!  Toast Right
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5977 on: December 06, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »

Thanks for the kind works friends!

New Kickstarter update posted (it's been a while, whew):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world/posts/1757198

Not too much that you rain world insiders wouldn't know, but if you haven't seen the Rain World PSX 2016 Limited Edition Foil Trading Card in real life, it's worth the click imho!

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5978 on: December 06, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »

Thank you for the new parts in the trailer !
Actually I'm not familiar with those glowing "bunnies" at 1:25 . Any info on those ? or perhaps a page number info ? Smiley ( I'm here since around page 260... Tongue )

Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: December 06, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »

Thank you for the new parts in the trailer !
Actually I'm not familiar with those glowing "bunnies" at 1:25 . Any info on those ? or perhaps a page number info ? Smiley ( I'm here since around page 260... Tongue )

These are lantern mice. (The following infos may spoil your game experience) And well, some of it is just a guess  Wink

If you want a page number, it all starts on page 180 with the update 417.

These glowing little mice seem to mostly live in the underground shadow urban ecosystem, and are (I guess) the basic prey out there, for the giant birds (even though the lantern mices seem to live mostly underground and the giant birds mostly on the surface) and other beasts hunting in the dark that generally eat slugcat sized animals (So I think seeing a jaw suddently closing on a hapless lantern mouse and dragging it away isn't that much of a good thing for you Shocked).
They are called lantern mice for two reasons: they glow in the dark and they have a very long tail, coiled up when they move around, which they can use to hang on to the ceiling, sleeping in this position, out of reach of some deadly predators that won't be able to attack them like that. Also, they sometimes seem to slightly darken they glow (opposite of a flash) one to three times very quickly, maybe to communicate with other lantern mice. In earlier gifs (page 182) we can see them darkening shortly after attaching their tail to something and entering sleepy mod, before emmitting light again shortly after having 'charged'.
They also feed on bats, and the light they emmit attracts 'bats' (which are actually closer to large moths).
If you (or any other suspicious animal) approach them during their sleepy time, they will observe you suspicously and roll up their tail to get up and out of reach from you, eventually coiling up their whole tail in the worst case, and running away (if they are to close to the threat to coil up quickly, they will drop on the ground and run like crazy). They seem to act like a normal mouse when they aren't in their coiled up state, running away from every potential threat (and to them, most living things are a potential threat), and when they are alone acting like, you know, mice Tongue. This video may enlighten you about their behavior:

They can be held by the player and used as a light source or in last resort, as a bait for predators... Evil
If you kill them, they will go on glowing for two minutes or so. But you will never forget yourself since they are too cute to kill  Cry (and they would glow forever and be able to live on their life once you let them go if you tried a little bit to catch it alive)

Edit: 300th page!  Hand Shake Left Waaagh! Hand Shake Right
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:50:27 AM by Axycot » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic