Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:16:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1446428 times)
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5980 on: December 06, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »

Thank you Axycot !

Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: December 07, 2016, 05:11:21 AM »

My pleasure!
Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5982 on: December 17, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »

Man even though the alpha doesn't have sound and its only such a small part of what the game actually is it is still some of the most fun I have ever had with a video game.  Me and my friends LOVE playing the coop mode together.  Amazing job James and Joar I can't with to play the full game!
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5983 on: December 17, 2016, 12:35:45 PM »

Rain world has co-op? That makes my day! Didn't think I could be more excited for the game.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5984 on: December 17, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »

Oh hey that's amazing to hear! Yeah we have co-op built in but it's going to come later as an update, as we need time to work out some specifics with the implementation. Same for the head-to-head multiplayer.

Finbonne: I'd love to ask you some questions, as we've had like zero player feedback on the co-op. You're managing to have fun even with the camera only tracking player 1? And how do you handle the room switches? Just wait for the other player to show up before moving on? Literally any info about what you like / don't like about it will be super helpful.

We could implement it super quickly as it currently  is, having it as a looser "sonic and tales" style co-op where the other player can drift off screen and then warp them in to nearby room exits if they get too far, or perhaps require both players to be in an exit to move rooms. We have also talked about attempting a proper dynamic split screen, when the screens split and recombine, allowing a more serious co-op play-style, but it creates a ton of other problems to solve and might wind up way too CPU intensive with all the shaders that would have to be duplicated onscreen. Plus it doesn't REALLY work with how the significant game events happen, so idk that might be out at this point. Either way it'll take some fiddling!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5985 on: December 17, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »

Is the demo only available to backers? I missed the kickstarter but would be happy to play some of the co-op and feedback on it. I think spelunky's co-op works well tracks player one but arrows at the edge of the screen show the direction of players outside the viewport.

kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: December 17, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »

Oh hey that's amazing to hear! Yeah we have co-op built in but it's going to come later as an update, as we need time to work out some specifics with the implementation. Same for the head-to-head multiplayer.

Finbonne: I'd love to ask you some questions, as we've had like zero player feedback on the co-op. You're managing to have fun even with the camera only tracking player 1? And how do you handle the room switches? Just wait for the other player to show up before moving on? Literally any info about what you like / don't like about it will be super helpful.

We could implement it super quickly as it currently  is, having it as a looser "sonic and tales" style co-op where the other player can drift off screen and then warp them in to nearby room exits if they get too far, or perhaps require both players to be in an exit to move rooms. We have also talked about attempting a proper dynamic split screen, when the screens split and recombine, allowing a more serious co-op play-style, but it creates a ton of other problems to solve and might wind up way too CPU intensive with all the shaders that would have to be duplicated onscreen. Plus it doesn't REALLY work with how the significant game events happen, so idk that might be out at this point. Either way it'll take some fiddling!

Well I'm not Finbonne but I have played co-op with a friend in the Alpha and can tell you some of the stuff I liked and Didn't like

Like:
Each has their own amount of food they ate
The ability to throw objects and weapons at each other (able to injure each other)
The fact that this game actually has Co-op Smiley

Dislike:
2nd player has to use the keyboard
S (Down for Second Player) Slows down time
Room only switches when 1st player leaves the room (Camera doesn't follow 2nd Player)
When 1st player dies its game over (Even if 2nd player is alive)
Can't configure/change controls

I love the "proper dynamic split screen" idea, but to speed up development (and avoid problems) id rather have it where it's required for both players to be in an exit to move rooms

If I think of more Likes and Dislikes, ill post another comment, Thanks for reading  Grin

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5987 on: December 17, 2016, 09:22:11 PM »

thank you, thats good stuff!

and obviously please note that the 2nd player controls in the alpha are totally borked because we had no idea anyone would ever know about it being there, lol. Clearly having 2nd player gamepad support, a system for room movement and, you know, 'not slowing down time by randomly pressing the down key' would be essential elements to the finished product.

Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5988 on: December 18, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »

Yes I would love to give some feedback.  Coop takes the game to a whole new level seeing as you have a friend to help you get out of tuff situations but its also another person you have to keep alive.  For switching rooms we just got used to both being near a transport tunnel and then we both go through one after the other.  I think a teleporting system that would teleport the second player through a pipe to the room the 1st player is in could work but you its something you obviously have to try out and see.  One thing my friends dislike when they play is that when one of us die we have to start over and they said they would rather see a system where you can go back to a shelter maybe and there would be a new slug cat for the dead player to play as.  Maybe a system where to bring your friend back you have to get double the food or something like that.

We have had some crazy experiences in coop though,  such as fighting off 3 vultures together was riveting and it was so cool the way we worked together to both make it out alive.
Or when one of us was about to through a spear right into a lizards face and the other person puts there head up just in time to be impaired by by the spear  :face palm:.

Couch coop is probably about 50% of all gaming I do so having coop as an option in this game is huge to me.  Hope my feedback helped if you have any other questions ask away and good luck with development!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5989 on: December 19, 2016, 08:51:39 AM »

Awesome! Yes definitely. We're going to start thinking about this stuff pretty soon, so very happy to hear all this   Hand Joystick

Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5990 on: December 20, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »

Awesome! Yes definitely. We're going to start thinking about this stuff pretty soon, so very happy to hear all this   Hand Joystick

Glad I could help!  If you need anymore feed back ask away.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: December 20, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »

Ok, so coop is my favorite way to play any game. Even if it's really badly implemented. I didn't realize it was even considered for this game, but it sounds amazing!

My preference for the screens would be to only switch screens when both players are at the exit. While it's a limitation in some ways, it always creates fun moments where someone is trying to catch up. With splitscreen, you can just run on ahead and let him get behind.

Me and my friend have a catchphrase for dying in co-op games: "There's always another coffin". So many games will have something somewhere where the dead player will respawn. Sometimes the other player has to actually go rescue them (left 4 dead, spelunky), sometimes it's just where you respawn when you die. Of course in Don't Starve, which may be more along the lines Rain World is with its survival element, you have to actually work pretty hard to revive the other player. I'm not sure how it should work in this game, but maybe you have to bring extra food to the "sick" player in the shelter to revive the other player.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5992 on: December 23, 2016, 03:21:00 AM »

This is all really heartening, because were we expecting to have to do all manner of overhauling for the co-op and it seems like people would be satisfied with the functionality that is already more or less in place. AKA it might not take an additional 5 years to implement  Tears of Joy

Anyways, more on that in 2017. See y'all next year, friends! We wish you a very merry slugcat.

Lucs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: January 01, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »

Happy new year guys! 2017 is going to be great just because of Rain World  Smiley
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5994 on: January 16, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »

Hey friends! We'll be hanging out in the Playstation Blog comments section all day, so leave us a Q!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/16/rain-world-surviving-in-a-living-ecosystem/

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5995 on: January 18, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »

Hey friends! We'll be hanging out in the Playstation Blog comments section all day, so leave us a Q!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/16/rain-world-surviving-in-a-living-ecosystem/
So many new GIFs! I like how you focused on showcasing the ecosystem interacting. That scavenger vs lizard fight sums up the ecosystem pretty well.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5996 on: January 23, 2017, 08:03:51 AM »

Thanks Christian!!

So Japan games twitter discovered RW last week and it got pretty wild: https://twitter.com/coder_Rfor8BIT/status/821573477652008960

MagicJam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: January 23, 2017, 08:25:42 AM »

Great job mixing and matching the pixel style with the lighting. Surprisingly works well. Does it merge with the pixel art or is it layered on top of it? Either way very cool  Grin

kizmarh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: January 23, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »

So Japan games twitter discovered RW last week and it got pretty wild: https://twitter.com/coder_Rfor8BIT/status/821573477652008960

“RETWEETS: 28,266”… … this is an ok number.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5999 on: January 23, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »

Thanks Christian!!

Oh gosh, how do we say Slug Cat in Japanese?
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic