Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:19:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447241 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6000 on: January 24, 2017, 04:21:12 AM »

"Slagcat" apparently  Cheesy

for real though they can call it whatever they want for 30k retweets and 40k likes

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6001 on: January 24, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »

"Slagcat" apparently  Cheesy
---
for real though they can call it whatever they want for 30k retweets and 40k likes

Holy shit! Congrats on finding that potential player base (or it finding you)!

Out of curiosity, from someone outside the world of game development, how much localization would your game need before a release in Japan? Is that the sort of thing Adult Swim will handle, given the release on Vita?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6002 on: January 24, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »

A LOT apparently. For the initial release we have the game in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese, but doing a Japanese localization would be an additional *6 months*  Screamy

From what I understand this is not just the time for translation and the minor adjustments to the way the game sets text for asian fonts, but also because Sony certification in Japan is massively more scrutinizing and arduous process than it is for western release.

So we're holding off on it for now :/ I think the idea is to wait until we have all the planned post-release content updates in before doing a proper Asian language localized version.

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: January 24, 2017, 11:46:05 PM »

A LOT apparently. For the initial release we have the game in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Portuguese, but doing a Japanese localization would be an additional *6 months*  Screamy

From what I understand this is not just the time for translation and the minor adjustments to the way the game sets text for asian fonts, but also because Sony certification in Japan is massively more scrutinizing and arduous process than it is for western release.

So we're holding off on it for now :/ I think the idea is to wait until we have all the planned post-release content updates in before doing a proper Asian language localized version.

Still willing to help with Chinese localization but I know it won't be priority Shocked

Honestly though Unity's pretty good with CJK language.

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6004 on: February 01, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »

Are you ready, Slugcat?

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: February 01, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »

Full sized version here. Del's art looks amazing, as usual. She's so good with color and light - the picture is so vibrant, I bet it would look glowing even on paper instead of a monitor.

But what is it? Main menu background? A big poster for a convention booth? Some other Important Presentation Piece?
kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: February 01, 2017, 06:01:04 PM »

Are you ready, Slugcat?

I smell a release date coming soon  Wink
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6008 on: February 02, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »

Now you guys are just teasin'  Well, hello there!

Love that art. Slugcat looks ready to me

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6009 on: February 02, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »

Brb saving this pic Cheesy
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6010 on: February 04, 2017, 03:28:26 AM »

how did it go? are you back already?

theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: February 04, 2017, 01:54:57 PM »

Are you ready, Slugcat?

'Scuse me. I need to go get my holyshitthatisamazing-o-meter repaired. It it thoroughly broken.

Looking good as usual. To be honest, I try to avoid this devlog. If I think about it too much, the waiting will drive me mad. The hype is real.

Also, in regards to Japanese localization: the English speaking world has to put up with Japanese games lacking localization for a while. Let's have it the other way around for once.
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6012 on: February 04, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »

it went well. i will be sure to spam it generously in the days preceding rain world's release.
theEasternDragon
Level 0

Rocket-powered hype train

View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: February 04, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »

So, kinda random question: will there be a difficulty setting?

I don't think this has ever been mentioned, but I think that it would be a good idea, (maybe as an update down the line).

For instance, you could have fewer sources of food, more aggressive creatures, etc. Something like the difficulty system from The Long Dark.

The reason I bring this up is because of the whole "lizard wizard" thing. At a certain point, there will be those who have played the game so long that they want more of a challenge, either because the game becomes too easy, or because the world has become too nice through player actions.

This is mainly for the masochists mind you, as I doubt most of the player base will be too enthused with it. But still, it would be nice to have.

I am aware of the whole "global reputation" system, wherein the world becomes more hostile the more hostile you are. What I am talking about is something which does this from the start of the game, (in addition, I don't imagine the global reputation system affects food sources).

What do you guys think of this? Does this sound like a good idea, or is it just me?
Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: February 05, 2017, 03:22:24 AM »

I remember that James once said that they were trying to put in place a system in which the difficulty ramps up if the player has a fast progression, I don't know if it is the global reputation system, but it sounds a little different from it.

And yeah, personally, I think it would be a good idea, maybe even something like a cone of vision, like in Darkwood, which would make the game super hardcore.

But from what I know, having the world becoming nice to you in a way that you almost don't have to fear the predators anymore would be pretty much impossible. Furthermore, the more you progress in the game, the more it becomes difficult.

Even in the demo, surviving in suburban is rather easy once you get the hang of it, but surviving in chimney canopy is very hard, no matter the level.

Look at James, even when he tries to progress without going to the shelters to get to the rain part, he most often ends up in the jaws of a vulture or in the belly of a daddy long legs. So in all honesty, I think that the game will really be difficult anyway: my opinion is that surviving in the later biomes of Rainworld (Such as shadow urban) is at least as hard as surviving The Long Dark in interloper mode.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6015 on: February 08, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »

HYPE! Im so stoked about this illustration. Most platforms require a "Hero Banner" for the store pages and all that, so thats what this is. Has to be able to arrange itself into all manner of ridiculous formats and sizes.

So, kinda random question: will there be a difficulty setting?

I don't think this has ever been mentioned, but I think that it would be a good idea, (maybe as an update down the line).

Yeah we agree. From what I hear its pretttty hard right now. (After playing it for 5 years I have no perspective of course.)

The concept of the game is just unfair sometimes (and thats the point!), but its been a real challenge to hit that balance where it maintains the mood and intended mechanics but also is generally playable. We've spent a lot of time tweaking it in its current state, but it's something that we want to address in future updates in a more clever manner. Some things we definitely want gated behind the high difficulty level, and we dont want an "easy mode" per se where you can just uncover all the map and thats that. But Im considering adding some alternate narrative paths in the current world that would satisfy players of lower skill levels, but also maintains some mystery of what else is out there.

I remember that James once said that they were trying to put in place a system in which the difficulty ramps up if the player has a fast progression, I don't know if it is the global reputation system, but it sounds a little different from it.

That remains to a certain degree, but in testing it was found to be pretty frustrating as the difficulty seemed fairly random from the players perspective. Also it basically broke the whole mechanic of being able to develop relationships with creatures, since you could be playing in a non-aggressive manner but suddenly creatures would be more aggressive just because you made it through a few rooms. Basically it was a good idea in theory, but less in practice, so we opted for just tuning the overall difficulty "better", whatever that means.

On the topic of difficulty, one thing thats really become apparent (and interesting!) in testing the game is that some people seem to naturally just be really good at Rain World, and its often people who you wouldnt necessarily expect given the supposed difficulty. I've seen 12 year old girls who "just wanted to play the slugcat game" get like 10x farther than seasoned gaming bros on their first try. I think it's because the game rewards observation and caution? So if a player goes in guns blazing expecting normal platformer behavior they're going to get destroyed, but if they play like a prey animal, hiding, observing the surroundings and learning about the behaviours of the creatures before making big moves, they will do well. And this might actually benefit players who dont have years of videogame genre conventions under their belt.

I dont know how well that will go over, but Im pretty proud of this actually!

Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6016 on: February 08, 2017, 08:02:20 AM »

Every time I come back to this devlog (Twice a week honestly) I get more excited than the last time!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: February 08, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »

The difficulty being too low definitely isn't a problem, I'd say. I've played Rain World for years, and I still really struggle with certain passages - it's by no means a walk in the park. And I know the code and every little trick. We have been thinking about some kind of setting or similar going the other direction though, to enable less fanatic players to have some feeling of closure without necessarily see all of the cool stuff that's there for those willing to dive deeper. It won't be for this release though ~
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6018 on: February 08, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »

a wild Joar Jakobsson appears! :O

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6019 on: February 10, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »

Can't wait til' this is ready. I need more brutal adventure games in my system!

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic