Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:14:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1443866 times)
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: March 29, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »

By the way, could you add support for higher resolutions? It's too low to comfortably play for people with 4k monitors.
The art is generated for 768p so there is no benefit to running at higher resolutions. The "mid-res" look is deliberate.

I am curious about the reason behind the 768p resolution? Is it PS4-related?

For example 720p pixelart does not scale well to 1080p either, but perfectly to 4K (×3) and 5K (×4).
Carrotca
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: March 29, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »

By the way, could you add support for higher resolutions? It's too low to comfortably play for people with 4k monitors.
The art is generated for 768p so there is no benefit to running at higher resolutions. The "mid-res" look is deliberate.

I am curious about the reason behind the 768p resolution? Is it PS4-related?

For example 720p pixelart does not scale well to 1080p either, but perfectly to 4K (×3) and 5K (×4).
Good question, many people on Steam and Gog complain about too low resolution and me too as I've 4k monitor.

By the way, anyone figured out what to do with the robot NPC?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/312520/discussions/0/135512625257238542/
Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6442 on: March 29, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »

Has anybody else Looked to the Moon so far ?
Those of you that did, will know what I mean ( it's in the game ).
Yeah, it's the location past Shoreline.

Im geussing you have to bring the metal blue thing but I havent tried it yet.
Carrotca
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: March 29, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »

Guy ate those things which killed the robot.

Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: March 29, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »

The game was originally designed for 1024x768 (Because that's what Joar had back in 2011 https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22849.0 - check out that screenshot's native res)

That resolution stuck all through the Lingo development time, which includes the level designer. As far as I know, that same old code is still behind the level design of modern Rain World, and is therefore tightly bound in those old limitations. They've managed to stretch it to 16:9 but the 768 vertical resolution remains.

That's what I reckon anyway.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6445 on: March 29, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »

100% correct!

Somehow weve found ourselves in the truly bizarre situation of having a super hyped game entering the high polish marketplace of 2017 that was in fact originally made on software designed for creating SPREADSHEETS. We have all manner of insane dependant legacy weirdness and hand-coded-workarounds-that-became-essential-aspects that you wouldn't even believe me if I told you. The fact that this games works as well as it does (aka fairly solid with some noticeable strangeness here and there) is incredible and due entirely to sheer brute willpower and dedication.

So, yeah sorry if certain aspects aren't as slick as one might expect!

Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6446 on: March 29, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »

Ya I ate the little light things too, pretty sure I messed up beyond repair but hey at least I'm I glowy slugcat now Tears of Joy
Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6447 on: March 29, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »

For the sake of keeping this devlog spoiler free anyone wanna start a reddit page or some other place we can discuss this stuff
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6448 on: March 29, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »

start a tigs thread under Games?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
WolfboxW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: March 29, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »

For the sake of keeping this devlog spoiler free anyone wanna start a reddit page or some other place we can discuss this stuff

Someone thought ahead!
https://www.reddit.com/r/rainworld/
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6450 on: March 29, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

So are the depths late late game? I am honestly surprised to find myself here.
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: March 29, 2017, 05:14:20 PM »

Game doesn't launch properly on my laptop, it takes forever to load then freezes before the title screen even appears. It's got a 3.0 GHz proc, 8GB of RAM and Windows 7 64bits.
Carrotca
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »

100% correct!

Somehow weve found ourselves in the truly bizarre situation of having a super hyped game entering the high polish marketplace of 2017 that was in fact originally made on software designed for creating SPREADSHEETS. We have all manner of insane dependant legacy weirdness and hand-coded-workarounds-that-became-essential-aspects that you wouldn't even believe me if I told you. The fact that this games works as well as it does (aka fairly solid with some noticeable strangeness here and there) is incredible and due entirely to sheer brute willpower and dedication.

So, yeah sorry if certain aspects aren't as slick as one might expect!
Any chance for higher resolutions in future updates? MSAA and SSAA would be nice too though I'm not sure if they'd work properly in a pseudo-2d game.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: March 29, 2017, 08:05:15 PM »

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback. Right now we're putting together lists and working out the details on how to adapt to the feedback. We're not aiming to make the game easy (maybe a little easier here and there  Smiley) but to sort out some of the kinks that have come up as frustrating. I've already addressed a few commonly mentioned issues. For now the focus is on stuff that's pretty small for me as a programmer but with big impact on the experience, and I'm making my way through the short-term list of programming stuff at a brisk pace right now.

Apart from the short-term list, we have more long-term stuff, but want to get the most pressing things done first. Long story short, we hear you and are at the task! Updates as things move on!
kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: March 30, 2017, 03:11:27 AM »

Ya I ate the little light things too, pretty sure I messed up beyond repair but hey at least I'm I glowy slugcat now Tears of Joy

So how long do you actually glow for?
I know the consequences, but in order to get through Shaded Citadel I might have to eat one...
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: March 30, 2017, 03:24:58 AM »

I know the consequences, but in order to get through Shaded Citadel I might have to eat one...

There are other light sources, you are not forced to eat something to glow.
kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: March 30, 2017, 03:54:30 AM »

I know, but all the other light sources suck (except for the Scavengers "glowing pearl?")
But it seems that those little things flying around "moon" make your character light up way better in the video,

I'm just wondering how long you would say lit up for to know if it's actually worth it
Finbonne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6457 on: March 30, 2017, 04:53:44 AM »

I ate all of them and its been about 20 cycles and im still growing strong
Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: March 30, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »

Game doesn't launch properly on my laptop, it takes forever to load then freezes before the title screen even appears. It's got a 3.0 GHz proc, 8GB of RAM and Windows 7 64bits.
I have a laptop with the same except a 2.47 GHz proc and it always does that the first time I launch the game, but just closing the game and opening it again seems to fix the problem.

Apart from the short-term list, we have more long-term stuff, but want to get the most pressing things done first. Long story short, we hear you and are at the task! Updates as things move on!
I hope fixing 360 and PS3 controls is on that short term list because they're so much worse than keyboard.

Eating one seems to make you glow forever, I'm still glowing after 14 cycles and I only ate one, it stills feels bad tough Sad
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: March 30, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »

I have a laptop with the same except a 2.47 GHz proc and it always does that the first time I launch the game, but just closing the game and opening it again seems to fix the problem.

I hope fixing 360 and PS3 controls is on that short term list because they're so much worse than keyboard.

Eating one seems to make you glow forever, I'm still glowing after 14 cycles and I only ate one, it stills feels bad tough Sad

Same, I had just gotten to her and only needed one food to hibernate. I only did what I had to, to survive. I still do feel bad for making her upset...
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic