Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:06:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447260 times)
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: April 13, 2017, 02:45:55 AM »

Still can't properly run the game on my laptop, it freezes after the splashscreens and before the menu appears.

You might try adding -force-d3d9 as a command-line argument (right-click on the game in Steam, Properties, Command-line arguments) — I needed to do so for different reasons.

Forcing DirectX 9 causes everything to be purple. Including the intro and the main menu. http://imgur.com/a/YNp7e
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6821 on: April 13, 2017, 02:49:40 AM »

DirectX9 Debug Runtime? Sounds like it - the debug runtime cleared the whole screen with alternating green/purple, to "help you spot rendering issues".

Or maybe something completely different. Ignore me, I'm here for the cake.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: April 13, 2017, 05:20:21 AM »

Yep, it needs DX11 or it's all purple! If your laptop doesn't have DX11, that might be it?
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: April 13, 2017, 05:36:07 AM »

I have DirectX 11 installed, but that shouldn't matter when running the game while forcing DirectX 9 does it?

It's really a shame, the game runs fine on my gaming PC (54 hours in) and I'd love to let my schoolmates play it on my laptop.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:15 AM »

Just popping in super quick to say that I too have hit shoreline, and immediately stumbled upon a new creature that was so viscerally upsetting that had me shouting "no no no no NO NO I don't like it I don't like it".

Well done.

I want to even things out a bit since I've been quite critical over the past few weeks, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I'm going to keep out of this thread for a bit because once again people seem to have forgotten that spoiler tags exist. For the moment I'll just say that the patch, by making the day-to-day survival more forgiving (ticking forward food on death was such a good decision), has done something really important for me: it's renewed my trust in the game.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6825 on: April 13, 2017, 06:08:05 AM »

[spoiler]Spoiler tags do not exit here, sadly.[/spoiler]

You need to use Glow.
insaneinside
Level 0

think critically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6826 on: April 13, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »

FWIW I needed -force-d3d9 to make RW run under Wine.

Hey JlJac, I'm getting a consistent crash when I try to move from Farm Arrays to Subterranean; the console just repeatedly spams

Code:
World assigned to existing region state: SB
Adapt world to region state SB
ID.0.11153<oA>Spear<oA>353.31.11.1<oA>4<oA>0
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RegionState.AdaptWorldToRegionState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at World.LoadWorld (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 abstractRoomsList, System.Int32[] swarmRooms, System.Int32[] shelters, System.Int32[] gates) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WorldLoader.CreatingWorld () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WorldLoader.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OverWorld.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RainWorldGame.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MainLoopProcess.RawUpdate (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RainWorldGame.RawUpdate (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ProcessManager.Update (Single deltaTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RainWorld.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

while the sound loops and some of the animations continue (but the gate doesn't move).

What would you like me to do with the save file?
Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: April 13, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »

So, why do the Lizards have no reliable food source in most open air environments? It seems like more often than not, you are the only reliable source of food for them, and you are the only Slugcat around. I was kind of expecting another, more plentiful prey creature.

Well except in shoreline where they eat jetfish and outskirts that is kind of the tutorial area, there are always scavengers in great number on the map. Furthermore, crocodiles, and cold blooded animals in general, can go without food for a long period, so maybe lizards work the same and just need to eat a slugcat sized creature every 3-4 cycles?
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: April 13, 2017, 10:13:43 PM »

What are scavengers relationship with Raindeer?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: April 14, 2017, 06:27:29 AM »

FWIW I needed -force-d3d9 to make RW run under Wine.

Hey JlJac, I'm getting a consistent crash when I try to move from Farm Arrays to Subterranean; the console just repeatedly spams

Code:
World assigned to existing region state: SB
Adapt world to region state SB
ID.0.11153<oA>Spear<oA>353.31.11.1<oA>4<oA>0
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RegionState.AdaptWorldToRegionState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at World.LoadWorld (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 abstractRoomsList, System.Int32[] swarmRooms, System.Int32[] shelters, System.Int32[] gates) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WorldLoader.CreatingWorld () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WorldLoader.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OverWorld.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RainWorldGame.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MainLoopProcess.RawUpdate (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RainWorldGame.RawUpdate (Single dt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ProcessManager.Update (Single deltaTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RainWorld.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

while the sound loops and some of the animations continue (but the gate doesn't move).

What would you like me to do with the save file?

Ok! I think I know what this one is and have a fix in the pipeline. It would be cool if you could send me your save file though, because then I can double check and also de-corrupt your save if you want to. Pastebin.com works well!
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: April 14, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »

Can Raindeer defend themselves? I would just love to see more interactions with the Raindeer and the environment/player. They are my favorites. Its bad enough that they are so rare.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:29:45 PM by Manray » Logged
Rojom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: April 14, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »

Just had an awesome moment worth sharing. I was at the hibernation room near the basin of water where you first encounter snails which is at the bottom of a tall three-screen drop. Got caught by a blue lizard, got the "game over" prompt and I thought "gg..." but I waited and didn't restart. The lizard carried me upward three screens to the region above, and there awaited another blue lizard. They started fighting and I jumped out of his grasp! I recalled someone mentioned that this could happen so I wasn't that surprised. I fell back down to the water. The blue lizards fell down too. I tried fighting them as they fought each other but was shortly caught again by one lizard and it carried me up the screens once more. At the same top region there was a white lizard... they started fighting and I escaped AGAIN!!! I had no clue this could happen multiple times! It felt awesome! I had a successful cycle after that and felt like a boss.

I have some tips for "secret" controls that people might not know:
- tapping the "hold" button twice swaps items between your hands. This is how you control what you throw -- you throw the item in the slugcat's right hand.
- if you're walking, pressing down and jump at roughly the same time does a slide which is fast. maybe allows you to dodge through enemies? haven't tested yet.
- I play with a keyboard and I find binding the keys to q - hold/pick up, w - jump, and e - throw to be a good combination. my gameplay improved a lot with this.

Does anybody know how to just drop an item? I wanted to offer pearls to the scavengers but I ended up hitting them instead lol.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: April 14, 2017, 10:20:52 PM »

You can press the pickup button while holding the *down* direction to put down an item without throwing it!
akryl9296
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: April 15, 2017, 02:29:56 AM »

Okay, so I'm exploring the Five Pebbles... any idea where exactly am I supposed to head to? I've been around in Recursive Transformative Arrays or whatever the subarea was called and everything is juts so massive even with map I felt lost xD There's no helper for a while now (I didn't commit the crime, unless eating neurons at Five Pebbles counts). Hints please?
Some frustrations aside, I managed to get to meet the... uhhh... Zenyatta :B Many thumbs up here for the design of the thing. Stellar work. (Also there's another way in than through the blue hentai monsters, for anyone stuck in there)

And few other questions:
- How long can I expect for items stored in shelters to stay there? Even if I change areas? (provided no scavenger pilfers the goods)
- Can I expect pearls left outside of the shelter to stay where I've left them after rain? How many cycles? Even after I change areas?
- How long exactly it takes for fruits to reappear? The blue water-popcorn? Red popcorn plants? Jellyfish? Bat colonies? And the orange baby centipede-like things?

Also, many thumbs up for orange lizards. Very fun. Havnig them run just slightly faster than me, in area full of stones and a few spears here and there was super fun. I had like 5 chase me on my way to five pebbles, and I killed 4 of them (well technically 3, since I pushed one off the lethal ledge) Grin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:31:18 AM by akryl9296 » Logged

RainWorld alpha map: 141220
cousin_it
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: April 15, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »

Now that the game is released, I'll say something at once bloody obvious and totally unrealistic: how cool would it be if Rain World had rotation like in Fez? Imagine if a room like this:

Could rotate like this:

It will probably never happen, because both games are already done, but it's fun to think about!

Also, I'm eagerly waiting for an update where the slugcat can find its family or make a new one! For now I've abandoned my playthrough in the Sky Islands shelter underneath the Comms Array. (Got the chieftain and friend achievements, so it's not like the game is too hard for me.) My headcanon is that the slugcat settled down and took periodic trips to the surface, eventually finding a mate and raising kids up there. It just didn't seem in character to keep going through monster-filled dungeons, talk to AIs and dissolve in a sea of LSD.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:28:32 AM by cousin_it » Logged

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6835 on: April 15, 2017, 03:28:18 AM »

Version 1.015 patch notes from Joar:

Hi! Just wanted to let you know what's up in this patch - it's a mini patch really, with just two little tweaks:

Undiscovered symbols can't be seen on the regions screen map any more
Vulture mask is once again back to not being throwable, instead you release it with the down + pick up button command like in v1.0

Also there's a stability improvement that could help with some of the freeze issues on loading save files. All in all, very minor tweaks and no cause for alarm! Working mainly on stability right now, and have some more fixes of that sort coming up.

-Joar

Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: April 15, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »

I did my first stream and first speedrun ever today, and I chose Rain World. Sadly my connection sucks so the stream and the video look like a slideshow. Still I only died 3 times (and the game only crashed twice, once at the beginning of Memory Crypts, and once at the very end, before the ending cinematic)

Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: April 15, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »

Are lantern mice only found in Shaded Citadel?
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: April 15, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »

Also how much content was cut from the game, and will any of it be added in the future?
iambored
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: April 16, 2017, 02:34:11 AM »

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I finally feel like I've played enough of the game to share my thoughts about it, and also, I'm stuck, and I'd really appreciate the help! Of course, this post will be chock full of spoilers, so watch out..

First off- I love this game to death! I've been following its development for the past 4 years, so you can guess how excited I was to see it release. The thing is, the reviews are terrible. Seeing more and more reviews that blamed Rain World for the most heinous crimes a platformer can commit slowly but surely weakened my resolve to try it anyway. Then the patch was released, and I bought the game out of impulse, and I'm so glad I did. Now, I don't know how the game played before the patch, but based on my experience, I feel like almost none of the complaints are justified.
The controls are fantastic, though bear in mind that I also enjoy Gish's controls. Also bear in mind that I got some tips before playing, such as double tapping the hold button. I guess there would have been a lot more frustration involved had I not gotten those tips. It's a good idea to insert some of those into the game.
The karma system is entirely OK. I'm not enjoying it, per se, but I definitely do not get all the complaints about it. There was only one time in my entire playthrough where the karma system gave me trouble, when I was stuck in the Drainage System and tried to get back to the Outskirts. That gate should be gated with the lowest rank from the Drainge System side.
I don't understand all the complaints about "random enemy spawns". If anything, I would say the opposite is the problem. I've went through maybe a dozen cycles just to get through a daddy long legs that wouldn't budge from my path.

So that's that with all the reviews. I'm saddened by this situation, because I think a lot of players will avoid the game for no real reason.

Onto my playthrough- there were two times that I felt the game was unfair and even wanted to quit- the first was being stuck in the Drainage System. I got through it, but getting back to the Outskirts felt like reversing all my progress, and I felt like shit. I can understand why other players might quit after this.
The situation I'm in right now is my main source of frustration with the game. I'm in the Underhang. I'm in the hibernation chamber below the gate to the next area, and I know I have enough food to continue. The thing is, I'm not ready to continue, as there is an area to the left that I have yet to fully explore. After jumping past the poles outside the hibernation chamber, I go down to the underhang, and there I find a daddy long legs. Half of my attempts to get past him result in dying to him, and this is costing me hours. After I get past him, I end up in the area above the leftmost (maybe?) orb, the one that doesn't connect with any other orb. I go above it with a grapple worm, and there my real trouble begins. Up until this point, I didn't know I could use the grapple worms. I got to the next area, which requires them, and I didn't have a clue how to continue. I watched some videos of the Underhang and saw people using the grapple worms, so now I'm trying to grapple through that area. It's a long area with big squares hanging from the ceiling, and unsurprisingly, I die every time. I wouldn't mind as much, if it didn't take me such a long time and so much effort just to get to this area. All I need is a hibernation chamber next to this area, and I'm set. Of course, I don't have one, which is why I watched speedruns of the game to see if this area is required to progress, and found that it's not.
So I have to ask- what will I find in that area after the grappling? Is it important? Why is there a linear path leading to it?

Thanks again for this fantastic game!  Beer!

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic