Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:41:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447491 times)
SkullPixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6960 on: May 09, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »

When can this update be expected for PC? I can't wait to do Arena mode.

GenerateUsername()
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: May 09, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »

(lame multiplayer footage of me running around alone - but yeah, you get the idea, slugcats and everything else thrashing around like mad in a little room. And yeah, I think that centipede killed a vulture  Shocked)

Centipedes are terrifying.  Epileptic

The main thing about Red is eating meat:

Animation is perhaps not quite there yet, but you get the idea. Don't want it too gory, but would rather just suggest the concept through the movement of the characters. Might take a little tuning!

That was one of the most unexpectedly disturbing things I've seen recently . . . I love it!
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6962 on: May 09, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »

Ugh... is this also coming in the new version ?
https://twitter.com/RainWorldGame/status/859384940076691456

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6963 on: May 09, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »

I feel like that's one of those things arachnophobes would need to have a no joke option to turn off or abstain from playing

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: May 10, 2017, 04:54:48 AM »

Local multiplayer is really cool, I've wanted to introduce my gf to the game for a while. But I'm a bit sad if it's limited to arenas, unless those are at least as big as regions. Some people have managed to hack the game to allow multiplayer in the campaign so I kinda hoped that was also on the menu.

Do you guys also consider adding online multiplayer in the future?

ps: The Rain World now has its own page on speedrun.com. If you've got categories to suggest or would like to give it a go and want some advices, feel free to come this way.
Sein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:36 AM »

Local multiplayer is really cool, I've wanted to introduce my gf to the game for a while. But I'm a bit sad if it's limited to arenas, unless those are at least as big as regions. Some people have managed to hack the game to allow multiplayer in the campaign so I kinda hoped that was also on the menu.

ps: The Rain World now has its own page on speedrun.com. If you've got categories to suggest or would like to give it a go and want some advices, feel free to come this way.

I agree. Ever since I started and finished rain world I wanted to play the entire map with my friend in multiplayer. would be so cool!

I hope Arena has a big map to work with, or maybe one of a few modes to choose from?

Best way to message me:
PM me for Skype or Telegram!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6966 on: May 10, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »

we have plans to add co-op! as you might have seen, some people have found that the framework for it is already in the current game and can be played with some hacky solutions. but to make it work in a manner fitting for release is going to take a bit of experimenting. it certainly wont be in the upcoming content update, but is entirely possible for the one after that.

about speedruns! since you mentioned it, we're thinking of adding some tools and functions specifically for speedrunners. stats and counters, that sort of thing. but other than watching them occasionally we dont really know what the community would consider helpful. if you have any suggestions, we'd love to hear it!

jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6967 on: May 10, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »

about speedruns! since you mentioned it, we're thinking of adding some tools and functions specifically for speedrunners. stats and counters, that sort of thing. but other than watching them occasionally we dont really know what the community would consider helpful. if you have any suggestions, we'd love to hear it!

Um, excuse me, they're called slugruns.  Roll Eyes
For real though, this is lit. Maybe an in-game timer from the beginning of the tutorial to the last moment you have control? And maybe timers that count how long you've been in each region? Just don't patch out any more movement tricks PLEASE Beg

EDIT: I asked on the Discord, got a couple responses

Quote from: gage
oh, just seeded runs, leaving exploits in speedrun mode, leaderboards, and split timer I guess.
Quote from: Applebread
I think in order to properly do a speedrun timer you should be able to map out what you are going to do before hand right
because some people do things differently
So maybe before you start the run you can pick the regions you are going for
idk, I think another good way to approach rain world speedruns is to have a cumulative clock running on each region
Like for me if I want to do an echo run I'll pick, outskirts -> farm -> sky -> chimney -(passage)-> farm -> sub ->depths
that way you can set up your split timer accordingly
Like I can imagine a drop down menu or maybe just a map that you click and order your regions 1,2,3,4,etc
this is very specific for me but because I need to pause the game sometime, a pause would be GREAT
This is me just spit balling but when you are in the menu  you can choose the type you want to do like any% speedrun where you just blind the karma guard or 5pebbles run, an echo run, or a 100% run, or a free for all run
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:57:23 AM by jprosk » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: May 10, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »

The tricky thing with coop is the screen - as we don't have scrolling, we can't even do the old hack "camera hovers at the point between the players, so you better stay somewhat close" ~ instead we have the screen-by-screen thing, which if you think about it is really difficult to get to work with two players. Actual split screen would be the only Real Solution, and I've been experimenting with that, but that in turn creates a bunch of difficulties with the shaders. So idk ~ we definitely want co-op, it seems like it could be really awesome, but it takes some serious thinking to come up with a good solution! We'll start with the one-screen arenas, those are a bunch of fun in themselves Smiley
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6969 on: May 10, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »

The tricky thing with coop is the screen - as we don't have scrolling, we can't even do the old hack "camera hovers at the point between the players, so you better stay somewhat close" ~ instead we have the screen-by-screen thing, which if you think about it is really difficult to get to work with two players. Actual split screen would be the only Real Solution, and I've been experimenting with that, but that in turn creates a bunch of difficulties with the shaders. So idk ~ we definitely want co-op, it seems like it could be really awesome, but it takes some serious thinking to come up with a good solution! We'll start with the one-screen arenas, those are a bunch of fun in themselves Smiley

You could always do it the way Super Smash Bros Brawl and a couple of other games have done it -- make the other slugcat a kind of "ghost". Like, the first player controls where the camera is, and when it switches screens the other slugcat gets teleported. Also only the first player can pause, the other's pause button just does the teleport.
That might mess with immersion though.
Sein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: May 10, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »

Its very exciting to hear you're wanting to try full co-op at least! I really look forward to what you figure out! good luck!

You could always do it the way Super Smash Bros Brawl and a couple of other games have done it -- make the other slugcat a kind of "ghost". Like, the first player controls where the camera is, and when it switches screens the other slugcat gets teleported. Also only the first player can pause, the other's pause button just does the teleport.
That might mess with immersion though.

This would likely make player 2 feel more like a tack-on and tag-along rather than an intricate part of the game. Would feel like player 1 is more important than player 2.

Best way to message me:
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: May 10, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »

The issue with the teleportation option is that player 2 would be teleported like *all the time*, as you generally switch screens every 5-10 seconds - would be very hard to get flowing gameplay that way!

Ohh speaking of exploits, do you guys know the Guardian flashbang exploit? If any of you are speed runners I'd really like your input on that - I can as easily leave it in as take it out, but need to know what speedrunners prefer! Here's two ways I imagine you could think about it.

1) Take it out - it basically circumvents the entire game, and now that we've seen it there's not much more to add. It would be more interesting from a speedrun perspective to take it out so you actually have to play more of the game, and the people who found this exploit will be forever remembered in the hall of fame.

2) Leave it in - taking out exploits as they're discovered is cheap, speedrunning is all about finding those and if you find them the reward should be yours!

Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: May 10, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »

oh, just seeded runs, leaving exploits in speedrun mode, leaderboards, and split timer I guess.
I think in-game leaderboards might harm some of the game's minimalistic charm. And adding a "speedrun mode" with exploits left on purpose isn't really a good idea. It's up to the runners to decide if they want to do a "no-exploit" run or not.

I think in order to properly do a speedrun timer you should be able to map out what you are going to do before hand right
because some people do things differently
So maybe before you start the run you can pick the regions you are going for

Like for me if I want to do an echo run I'll pick, outskirts -> farm -> sky -> chimney -(passage)-> farm -> sub ->depths
that way you can set up your split timer accordingly
Like I can imagine a drop down menu or maybe just a map that you click and order your regions 1,2,3,4,etc
this is very specific for me but because I need to pause the game sometime, a pause would be GREAT
This is me just spit balling but when you are in the menu  you can choose the type you want to do like any% speedrun where you just blind the karma guard or 5pebbles run, an echo run, or a 100% run, or a free for all run
Same thing. You can add infinite "kinds" of speedruns. It should be up for the runners to decide. An optional in-game timer would be nice though. In the rules I marked that timer should be counted from when slugcat touches the ground after the intro, up to right before the outro.

Regarding splits, there are lots of free softwares that let you make them really easily (I use Livesplit personally).

You can download the splits I used from the "resources" tab.
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6973 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »

The issue with the teleportation option is that player 2 would be teleported like *all the time*, as you generally switch screens every 5-10 seconds - would be very hard to get flowing gameplay that way!

Ohh speaking of exploits, do you guys know the Guardian flashbang exploit? If any of you are speed runners I'd really like your input on that - I can as easily leave it in as take it out, but need to know what speedrunners prefer! Here's two ways I imagine you could think about it.

1) Take it out - it basically circumvents the entire game, and now that we've seen it there's not much more to add. It would be more interesting from a speedrun perspective to take it out so you actually have to play more of the game, and the people who found this exploit will be forever remembered in the hall of fame.

2) Leave it in - taking out exploits as they're discovered is cheap, speedrunning is all about finding those and if you find them the reward should be yours!

You should leave those in, we could see some really impressive speedruns of like ten minutes or something. (Can you imagine???)
There are categories for Pilgrimage and No Exploits runs anyway, so we'll get to see some pure runs too.
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »

The guardian flashbang exploit is known and documented in the rules on speedrun.com
In fact, one of the only two speedruns that's been submitted uses it.

If it gets patched though, no one will be able to beat that speedrun. I'll ask the guy his opinion about it (he beat the game sub 25 minutes!)

Note I made multiple leaderboards so people can decide which category they will run for. This way you can leave the exploit in, and people can still compete for the shortest time in the "no exploit" category.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6975 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

personally, im all for keeping the exploits in. its kind of just a slightly more extreme version of what the game is all about anyway.

also the new slugcat modes will each introduce their own flavor of new challenges, so I think we're all about keeping the "standard mode" where its at right now for the most part, and if we want to adjust things for the new modes (which we'll be doing anyways) it just adds more playability imo.

Sein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »

Watching exploited speedruns really doesnt feel very satisfying as completing the game in the fastest time without exploits. That would take skill rather than cheap tricks.

Best way to message me:
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: May 10, 2017, 11:01:29 AM »

Watching exploited speedruns really doesnt feel very satisfying as completing the game in the fastest time without exploits. That would take skill rather than cheap tricks.

I'd argue that some cheap tricks take a certain amount of skill. That being said, it might be possible that as long as the exploit is in, few people will actually go for no-exploit runs. I intend to remain one of them though.
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6978 on: May 10, 2017, 11:15:31 AM »

Exploits are a major aspect of speedrunning too. If you want to be purist you could always see the no exploit runs.
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: May 10, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »

I have an idea that sounds idiotic and probably is, but bare with me...
What if... What if you physically tie coop players with a rope? Like a weird umbilical cord siamese twins. If they physically can't stay far apart, you don't need to focus on two different places and it explains why they have to be in the same room and can share one hunger meter. And you get not just two slugcats, but slugcats that have a unique interaction method between them -  one can garb onto something up high, while the other swings around; if one falls down a pit, the other can pull him out; etc.
It also solves a common coop problem of one player dying and no longer having a game to play, while other keeps going and having fun. If players are tied - then they either both survive or both don't.
It needs a lot of playtesting on the physical properties of the cord - length, stretchiness, springiness... Maybe length should be controlled by the players like in Push Me Pull You. And platforming in some sections could become way harder (would it even be possible to use grappling hook worms?), so some aspects of slugcats themselves would need to be rebalanced.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic