Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:08:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447324 times)
Forgotten Pixels
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: June 14, 2017, 06:19:26 AM »

Update 542

Bubble grass!

Don't know how or if James would like to use it, but the idea is that it could help smooth out the watery sections a little particularly for yellow.

It doesn't have an infinite use time but slowly depletes - how long that should take is to be subject to a bit of tuning.

Everything you guys are making feels true to Rain World and not like some kind of uncomfortable DLC that's coming or something. You really know creativity and how to implement it into such an awesome and worthwhile game! Keep up the great work ❤️
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: June 14, 2017, 06:39:26 AM »

Update 542

Bubble grass!

Don't know how or if James would like to use it, but the idea is that it could help smooth out the watery sections a little particularly for yellow.

It doesn't have an infinite use time but slowly depletes - how long that should take is to be subject to a bit of tuning.

A really neat idea people had on discord was adding some rooms at the bottom of shoreline that could be accessed with these plants--it would also be a good out-of-the-way sort of place for these hardmode enemies to reside in the normal and easy modes
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: June 14, 2017, 10:26:56 AM »

A really neat idea people had on discord was adding some rooms at the bottom of shoreline that could be accessed with these plants--it would also be a good out-of-the-way sort of place for these hardmode enemies to reside in the normal and easy modes
Isn't bottom of the Shorelines already pretty safe? I saw like one lizard in there.
Still, rooms like that would add a nice flavor. Just like the places you need assistance to get to, but a bit more accessible.
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: June 14, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »

Isn't bottom of the Shorelines already pretty safe? I saw like one lizard in there.
Still, rooms like that would add a nice flavor. Just like the places you need assistance to get to, but a bit more accessible.
New region to house the new creatures, maybe? I think I have exploration withdrawal. Tongue
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: June 14, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »

I know how you feel, every few days I'm taking a stroll around the game world myself.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7125 on: June 16, 2017, 07:56:11 AM »

James was thinking along the same lines but I have to admit I actually discouraged it  Shrug We get into these feature creep loops where I add a a thing so James has to add a thing to mirror that thing, then I have to add a couple of things to make that stuff work, repeat and fade... And update already has plenty of good content so we want to get it out! Soo, while it's still up to James of course I don't think a new region is what will happen, but we're talking about some additions to the current regions.
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: June 16, 2017, 09:29:51 AM »

That's fine too, gives another reason to go back into explored territory.

Question though, will old saves carry over?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7127 on: June 16, 2017, 12:34:14 PM »

good question! actually thats one of the reasons that its going to take a bit of time is that we need to make sure that all this new stuff is thoroughly tested and rock solid compatible with old sav files. so short answer: yes

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7128 on: June 16, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »

I've been following this since the second half of dev, it's pretty amazing to see the support you guys got particularly on PS4, are you happy with how it's performed? Plenty to support RW2?  Toast Left

12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: June 17, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »

Plenty to support RW2?  Toast Left

I honestly think Rain World would do well without a sequel, and maybe with a sequel's worth of expansion. There's just so much more which could potentially be explored. And in the meantime, I'm sure seeing the next crazy Videocult concept will be wonderful. With the kind of creativity they have I bet they could develop another game with a completely new and unexpected premise, and yet have it be just as good as RW.

On an unrelated note, I have a technical question. Do you guys have an API you use to add creatures? Or do you have to update all of the enums and switch statements manually?

Also, happy belated birthday, James!
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: June 18, 2017, 05:53:23 AM »

Bubble grass makes me so happy. The underwater sections were, for me, consistently the least interesting ways to die, but also the most frequent. I want to die from being eaten, not from a breath timer. It'll be nice to have a way to make basic traversal less of a chore.
crankykong
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: June 19, 2017, 03:05:51 PM »

Why waste all the cool new ideas and creatures on a game which came out 3 month ago and has been played through multiple times from almost everyone who bought it,anyways? Dont get me wrong i find all the new creatures very cool.But arent they kind of wasted when almost everyone has already played multiple times through the game? A system for the player to create his/her own mods of the game to expand the lifespan of the game i would understand better than patching in alot of new creatures without creating new environments to encounter them in.

Wouldnt it be better to use them for something more impactfull like Rainworld 2 on a less limited engine like UE4, for example?
I would love to see what talented developers and art designers like you can do with a state of the art engine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:15:04 PM by crankykong » Logged
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »

Why waste all the cool new ideas and creatures on a game which came out 3 month ago and has been played through multiple times from almost everyone who bought it,anyways? Dont get me wrong i find all the new creatures very cool.But arent they kind of wasted when almost everyone has already played multiple times through the game? A system for the player to create his/her own mods of the game to expand the lifespan of the game i would understand better than patching in alot of new creatures without creating new environments to encounter them in.

Wouldnt it be better to use them for something more impactfull like Rainworld 2 on a less limited engine like UE4, for example?
I would love to see what talented developers and art designers like you can do with a state of the art engine.

First of all, there are tons of people who have never played the game and will experience the game fresh, including those new creatures. Second, the devs have mentioned that many of the regions will probably be expanded to make room for the new creatures, giving us more to explore even if there won't be new regions at this point. Third, the new difficulty modes mean that it's definitely worth playing through at least one more time. And even if none of the area of the game was expanded, I know that I'd play again just to see 5+ new creatures, as well as new plants and other gimmicks. But beyond all that, from what I understand this won't be the last update. There are still slugcat pups on the way, and while it has been confirmed that there won't be any new regions in this update since it has been delayed so much already, it's probably a possibility in the future, meaning there are tons of options to expand on the lore and keep things interesting. (New pearls are already confirmed.) And mod support has been confirmed to be on the way as well.

If they did just decide not to update Rain World anymore and instead worked on a new game in UE4, well, it would be interesting, but it would be a few years until that was released, which in my mind, and probably in the mind of the devs as well, would result in a lot of wasted potential for Rain World (even though it is already an incredible game).
crankykong
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: June 19, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »

First of all, there are tons of people who have never played the game and will experience the game fresh, including those new creatures. Second, the devs have mentioned that many of the regions will probably be expanded to make room for the new creatures, giving us more to explore even if there won't be new regions at this point. Third, the new difficulty modes mean that it's definitely worth playing through at least one more time. And even if none of the area of the game was expanded, I know that I'd play again just to see 5+ new creatures, as well as new plants and other gimmicks. But beyond all that, from what I understand this won't be the last update. There are still slugcat pups on the way, and while it has been confirmed that there won't be any new regions in this update since it has been delayed so much already, it's probably a possibility in the future, meaning there are tons of options to expand on the lore and keep things interesting. (New pearls are already confirmed.) And mod support has been confirmed to be on the way as well.

If they did just decide not to update Rain World anymore and instead worked on a new game in UE4, well, it would be interesting, but it would be a few years until that was released, which in my mind, and probably in the mind of the devs as well, would result in a lot of wasted potential for Rain World (even though it is already an incredible game).

I would rather have something great (maybe even better than Rainworld 1) in a few years with 30+ hours worth of all new and fresh feeling content. Then something which is good but which i already know to 95% contentwise.

Its not that i would not like to play in hard mode with additional creatures through Rainworld again(i my self have requested this feature many times in this forum), but i would even way more love to play through Rainworld 2 on an engine which does not limit the devs creativity that much even if i have to wait 3 years for it.But the waiting would be probably worth it and would pay off.

Rainworld 1 is done. Some things went good,some went greate,some not so good.
If they are not willing to change the core gameplay mechanics which most of the critics did not like(karmagates and timelimit) , which does not look like they will at the moment(but i could be wrong about that) than chances that most new players wont like the game after the upgrade,because it still has those core mechanics,are very high.This seems like wasted effort for me.

They should just move on to Rainworld 2  and develop it with the idea in mind that not every player wants to get told by the game how long he/she has to stay and grind in one specific region before they can go to the next one or how fast they have to get to the next check point/save chamber.And that not every idea/concept which sounds great in the own mind does actualy translate well into good/fluid gameplay.Open World Games like Super Marios 64 for example are that sucsessfull because the amount of stars you have to collect in order to open the next map are very minimal and you dont lose stars when you die!
But in order to get all 120 of them you have to try and die alot because some of the optional stars are way harder to reach. They should learn from this kind of "nonlinear" difficulty scaleing in the spirit of easy to pick up but hard to master! Not even Dark Souls tells you how long you have to stay in one region or how fast you have to get to the next bonfire.They could make a survival mode and seperately an exploration mode and everything would be perfect.They dont need to make the game any easier but they need to stop telling the player when to do what for how long.That just does not work in an open world game environment!

But i know that they will not do that because somehow they still think having everyone play the game with karma gates and timelimit on is the way to go and people just have not realised yet how good this combination of mechanics actually is.Its a bit like someone driving a car down a street in the wrong direction and wondering why there are so many ghost drivers on the road aproaching him.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:14:04 PM by crankykong » Logged
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: June 19, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »

I know it's futile to say this to you, but there are hundreds if not thousands of people who disagree with you and think the rain and karma gates are a good mechanic.

(Edit: Hundreds I can say pretty much for certain because the Discord server is nearing 400 members)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:08:30 AM by 12LandsBoundlessSpace » Logged
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: June 19, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »

I can't speak for thousand of people but I agree with 12LandsBoundlessSpace
Sein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: June 20, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »

@crankykong: I dare say its a pretty great mechanic in my opinion. plenty of people like it.

Best way to message me:
PM me for Skype or Telegram!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7137 on: June 20, 2017, 07:14:16 AM »

Just put in a godmode cheatcode so crankykong can shut the hell up already

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »

@crankykong: I dare say its a pretty great mechanic in my opinion. plenty of people like it.
seconded. Both add a lot of flavor and atmosphere without being too obtuse to work with. crankykong if you want to backseat game-design maybe find a community looking for that sort of thing.
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: June 20, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »

Just put in a godmode cheatcode so crankykong can shut the hell up already
Actually, if cranky wants something like that, a mod for it exists!
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic