Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:05:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447095 times)
crankykong
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7140 on: June 20, 2017, 12:37:39 PM »

I know it's futile to say this to you, but there are hundreds if not thousands of people who disagree with you and think the rain and karma gates are a good mechanic.

(Edit: Hundreds I can say pretty much for certain because the Discord server is nearing 400 members)

I have to agree that i play devils advocate here to a certain degree, because i actualy like the karma mechanic.I only truely hate the timelimit.But first its just to much fun seeing you all go fully into "white knight protective mode" and second i realy dont like this mentality of micromanaging the player to a degree that you tell him how long he has to stay in a region or how many seconds after saveing the game you are allowed to exit the game before you lose karma progression.
Just let the player create his/her own story while playing the game and dont try to control every aspect of their playthroughs!

I dont think this topic here has thousands of people posting. But outside in the real world outside your little filterbubble there are a great amount of people actualy not liking the mechanic .Just check metacritic if you dont belive me.Ah i know.....metacritic is bad and therefor not valid isnt it?

And saying that everybody in this forum likes the karma mechanic or the timelimit is a lie.
I can remember alot of posts from different people in this forum complaining about those two mechanics.Just read the last 30-50 pages.

Just put in a godmode cheatcode so crankykong can shut the hell up already

If moding is out than i can do that myself.
If your reactions stay as funny then i will never stop, just for the lols and giggles of it.

@crankykong: I dare say its a pretty great mechanic in my opinion. plenty of people like it.
seconded. Both add a lot of flavor and atmosphere without being too obtuse to work with. crankykong if you want to backseat game-design maybe find a community looking for that sort of thing.

I know dare me and dare everyone who criticizeses the game.You think that those mechanics are perfect but many others(again metacritic) dont. Why not release a moding toolkit if so many people dont like the mechanics. Beside of that i dont need you telling me in which forum i should post and in which not.But i appreciate your input....not. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:04:25 PM by crankykong » Logged
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: June 20, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »

Cranky, you are being a bit unreasonable. Rain timer and karma gates are just as integral to the unique challenge of the game as the creature behaviour. And while they can be tweaked, asking to outright remove them would be an equivalent to asking to fix the​ enemy locations to be static and predefined in each room. It's just not that kind of game, even if not everyone likes it that way. And it's okay not to like it because of it, but I don't think there's a point in keeping asking for that kind of change.
I know dare me and dare everyone who criticizeses the game.
Why waste all the cool new ideas and creatures on a game which came out 3 month ago and has been played through multiple times from almost everyone who bought it,anyways?
Also, I find it weird that you somehow manage to both criticize the game and criticize the devs for trying to improve it.
SquidSalsa
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: June 21, 2017, 02:04:39 AM »

Why would you remove rain and karma gates? the game is called rain world, why would it have that name when it doesnt contain rain. i like the fact that rain and karma gates exist in the game, it keeps the player from rushing the game very quickly. wich would be very boring. so stop complaining, no one will change the game mechanics simply becuase someone doesnt like the entire game. the other case scenario could be, that this isnt a game meant for you.
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: June 21, 2017, 04:53:26 AM »

That's something I liked about Rain World and disliked about Don't Starve. In the latter, you NEVER die of starvation, because the more starved out you become, the more risks you're willing to take to get food, until you die of literally anything else.

While in Rain World, the rain keeps this sense of dread hanging in the air, I'll never forget the first time I was stuck outside in the rain. Nothing in the game world would make sense anymore if the rain wasn't there.

Oh by the way, question to the devs, do you guys have an internal dictionary for all the symbols that appear in the game? I've understood a few of them but I wonder how much of a sentence you can articulate using them. I'm still unable to understand (spoilers)most of what Five Pebbles is writing to you, before he gives you the gift of communication.

For the karma symbols alone, I'm assuming that:
* the first level represents the desire for violence, hatred, and things dangerous in general
* the second level represents the desire for lust, things that go in pair
* the third level represents the desire for riches, or maybe social standing
* the fourth level represents the desire for food, and maybe earthly possessions as well
* the fifth level represents the desire of staying alive, against all odds
Sein
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:19 AM »

@Crankykong

Id like to reiterate the fact that the time limit was not the first done with rainworld. plenty of games do it. Majora's mask being the first game that comes to mind. Its not a bad mechanic. just... litterally not meant for everyone. you have to choose your audience, because there is no way to please everybody.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:51:09 AM by Sein » Logged

Best way to message me:
PM me for Skype or Telegram!
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7145 on: June 22, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »

Id like to reilliterate
Grammar police here. He means "reiterate".

There is no Rain World without rain. There's always going to be easy mode, where the rain comes later, so what's the complaint about ?
Karma gates are an interesting design choice, where the game wants you to actually be skilled enough to reach the gate without dying (too many times). I second that motion, however it feels highly unfortunate when the game cheats you of life.

The difficulty choices that will be in the new version is a fantastic add, I cannot stress that enough. Let's just hope it works as well as promised. Also I'm curious what the not-shown-yet creature is Smiley , unfortunately we'll all have to wait quite some time I'm sure...
GoG better get their stuff together to update the game when the version comes and not weeks later.

Oh by the way, I found a red lizard in the old alpha a couple of days ago :D .

jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7146 on: June 23, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »

Since this debate has come up again, I'd like to voice a slightly unpopular opinion.
While the karma system doesn't bother me when I play (even though I suck), and the idea behind it makes sense, I do think it would be more effective if it emphasized how you actually learn the region rather than getting a living streak. Something like karma never going down until you enter a new region where it resets would probably work great. If it needs to be easier, you could even have it always increase when you survive a cycle, instead of just representing your highest living streak.
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: June 23, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »

If it needs to be easier, you could even have it always increase when you survive a cycle, instead of just representing your highest living streak.

I'm confused. Isn't this what it does already? I mean, it only decreases by 1 when you die, it doesn't drop to zero. And I'd even argue that it does emphasize how you learn a region, because the karma requirement for each gate is carefully chosen so that you won't move on before you are ready to do so, forcing you to familiarize yourself with the surroundings and any new creatures and/or gimmicks in the area.

On an unrelated note, hmm... what's this?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:01:22 PM by 12LandsBoundlessSpace » Logged
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7148 on: June 23, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »

ahahaha if you guys reverse engineer a level editor before we can even get this dang update out im going to laugh so hard

If it needs to be easier, you could even have it always increase when you survive a cycle, instead of just representing your highest living streak.

I'm confused. Isn't this what it does already? I mean, it only decreases by 1 when you die, it doesn't drop to zero. And I'd even argue that it does emphasize how you learn a region, because the karma requirement for each gate is carefully chosen so that you won't move on before you are ready to do so, forcing you to familiarize yourself with the surroundings and any new creatures and/or gimmicks in the area.

On an unrelated note, hmm... what's this?

12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: June 23, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »

ahahaha if you guys reverse engineer a level editor before we can even get this dang update out im going to laugh so hard

In progress already Tongue One of the best coders in the community is on the job.
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: June 24, 2017, 06:56:08 AM »

Just dropping by to say that Lime-Mime was the first one to complete a 100% speedrun of the game.
The criteria were (spoilers):
* Meet Five Pebbles
* Bring a neuron to Moon
* Meet all 6 echoes
* Complete every paths

It took him 6 hours on his first attempt, and right now he's beaten it already in only 5 hours 25 minutes.

By the way James/Joar, you asked a while ago if you could add stuff that might be of use to speedrunners. I have only one request. Fix that bug that randomly kills you in the Depths.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7151 on: June 24, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »

Lime Mime is AMAZING

By the way James/Joar, you asked a while ago if you could add stuff that might be of use to speedrunners. I have only one request. Fix that bug that randomly kills you in the Depths.

YES. top of the list. i hate that bug.

MrToasty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: June 24, 2017, 08:30:27 AM »

Yo, is there a quick non-destructive way to reset the map progress?  If not, could you guys consider adding one?
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: June 24, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »

Yo, is there a quick non-destructive way to reset the map progress?  If not, could you guys consider adding one?
I second this. I was introducing my cousin to the game the other day and wanted to start him off with a clear map to give him the full experience, so that's at least one situation when it could be helpful.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7154 on: June 24, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »

you can delete the map in the options menu plus there are 3 save slots. you mean more options that than?

12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7155 on: June 24, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »

you can delete the map in the options menu plus there are 3 save slots. you mean more options that than?
Ha ha! I had no idea there was a way to delete the map there. Good to know.
MrToasty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: June 24, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »

So when I hover over the reset progress button, it says this will reset all progress except for map exploration.  Is there a way to reset map exploration as well?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: June 24, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »

Shouldn't this thread's icon be changed to "Done!", or is it still considered a WIP with all the user input constantly flooding in? p:

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7158 on: June 24, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »

So when I hover over the reset progress button, it says this will reset all progress except for map exploration.  Is there a way to reset map exploration as well?

ohhh wait... maybe joar changed that in one of the updates, good point. id still think that a new sav would give you a fresh map though. let me know if it doesnt and ill put that on the to do list!

Shouldn't this thread's icon be changed to "Done!", or is it still considered a WIP with all the user input constantly flooding in? p:

HA! Joar is not about messing with that stuff hahah, but yeah spot on. we still have a few updates until it'll be at a point where we feels its actually "done" to a degree that we're happy with.

MrToasty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: June 24, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »

Yeah, just checked again.  Using the Reset Progress button does not clear the minimap.  I can probably manually delete the map data, but I'd rather have an official way to do it.  (Btw, I love how much you guys interact with the community!  Keep it up!)
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic