Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:52:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447159 times)
Scrungus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7200 on: July 12, 2017, 02:43:48 AM »

Is there any word on if any progress has been made in fixing the dreaded grey screen issue?

I'm just quoting this so it gets seen, it was the last post on the previous page so I think it may have gone unnoticed.
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: July 12, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »

Is there any word on if any progress has been made in fixing the dreaded grey screen issue?

I'm just quoting this so it gets seen, it was the last post on the previous page so I think it may have gone unnoticed.
As far as I know this isn't caused by one specific thing and is just Rain World's general error screen when it can't load. The best way to fix it in my experience is to verify integrity of files, as I usually encounter it when I'm modding and do something which breaks the game. If you can tell me the specific context in which you're getting the error I may be able to help fix it (in your specific case, not in general).
Scrungus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: July 12, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »

As far as I know this isn't caused by one specific thing and is just Rain World's general error screen when it can't load. The best way to fix it in my experience is to verify integrity of files, as I usually encounter it when I'm modding and do something which breaks the game. If you can tell me the specific context in which you're getting the error I may be able to help fix it (in your specific case, not in general).

I figured it was cause by many different issues because there's a member of the steam community who's managed to figure out a workaround for one particular variant related to sound. Unfortunately the exact nature of the issue can't really be determined because the game doesn't keep a debug or error log it seems. Having such a log would be pretty damn useful in fixing people's issues with this I imagine. (nudge nudge wink wink)

For me the exact issue is that trying to start a new game or continue from a save that I have downloaded causes a hang at the loading screen. If I start a new game and hold "S" (which skips certain things if I am not mistaken) the game will progress past the loading screen and then hang at the grey clouds. The aforementioned fix by the community member doesn't rectify this unfortunately. I might be able to get some process monitor logs from the game if those would help at all.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7203 on: July 12, 2017, 09:50:16 PM »

hmmm yeah the grey screen generally means that the world assets or setup options havent been loaded into RAM before startup. with certain computers (generally using win 7, though we havent been able to duplicate it on our side) it seems that the assets for the opening cinematic fills up the computers RAM, and as a result the world assets cant load, so grey screen. this is what joar added the "hold S" workaround for: it skips the opening cinematic and goes right to loading the world assets.

could you give more background on how this is occurring for you? have you been able to see the cinematic previously and start a new game? i only see loading from savs mentioned

and for the record, sav files contain most relevant debug information that we need
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:02:50 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

Scrungus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: July 13, 2017, 06:33:12 AM »

hmmm yeah the grey screen generally means that the world assets or setup options havent been loaded into RAM before startup. with certain computers (generally using win 7, though we havent been able to duplicate it on our side) it seems that the assets for the opening cinematic fills up the computers RAM, and as a result the world assets cant load, so grey screen. this is what joar added the "hold S" workaround for: it skips the opening cinematic and goes right to loading the world assets.

could you give more background on how this is occurring for you? have you been able to see the cinematic previously and start a new game? i only see loading from savs mentioned

and for the record, sav files contain most relevant debug information that we need

I've never been able to see the cinematic or play the game in any way past the title screen. I'm pretty sure that in this case the game doesn't actually generate a save file either but I can check when I'm next able to.

I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my memory as I've already tried giving the game as much as possible by closing everything possible except Steam prior to launching it and I have 8GB and know friends who've been able to play with 4GB
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: July 13, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »

Have you ever been able to start the game? If not, it's probably a faulty install.
Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: July 13, 2017, 11:46:43 PM »

Are you considering a release for the Nintendo Switch?

Scrungus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:33 AM »

Have you ever been able to start the game? If not, it's probably a faulty install.

Of course the game boots, but the problem is that the game will never properly progress past the title screen and this issue persist across complete reinstalls of the game.
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: July 14, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »

I suspect that it's something with your setup, then, not sure what.
Scrungus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: July 14, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »

I suspect that it's something with your setup, then, not sure what.

Yeah, as I said, even if the save files help in most cases it'd still be much better to have the game make an actual log file for cases where the save file can't help like this. Tongue
KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: July 15, 2017, 04:20:24 AM »

Hello there. I've been stalking this thread (and game) for years, but never posted so as not to meddle in the creative process... I think you guys have enough help as it is, and from people much smarter than me! Despite all my anticipation, I've actually been unable to play Rain World for various reasons until just recently, but I just completed the game yesterday and it was a real trip. I feel like I can also expose some of my feelings for this game here now.

----Spoiler warning, I spoil the entire game, so if you haven't played or beat the game yet, just scoot on past----

My experience was quite positive, being a fan of hardcore games, and having known a lot of "insider" detail thanks to this thread, I didn't really bang my head against any walls figuring out what to do. Even so, few games gave me such a rush playing them as the first time I played Demon's Souls, when it was that hot new game that was balls hard and cryptic in everything it did and each push forward required a mop for sweat clean up. I really love Metroidvanias in general, and this game had a lot of what I really wanted from a game, but also some things that left me kind of.. confused and unfulfilled I'd say? There are some problems with the way the game is structured, but karma gates and the other usual suspects don't have anything to do with it, as some people say. The only gate I had to grind for was Five Pebbles, but there is a ton of food around that area so it was no problem. In fact, most of the game which I experienced so far I'd say was perfect in the way it was designed, so I'll just focus on the parts that weren't, otherwise this would turn into a full-blown review.

The way I completed the game was the mainline trek to Sister Moon via the Garbage Wastes, then back through Shoreline to Shaded Citadel, which I somehow managed without a light, a mad dash through Crypts and up the Leg to Five Pebbles, doubled back to Moon with two Neurons in hand via Wall and Chimney Canopy, and getting back through the Citadel, which was now easy with me being enlightened. After showing her some stuff from around the near vicinity (btw you guys should really extend the rain clock in Looks to the Moon, it's way too short for her exposition considering how little food there is in the general area for repeated hibernation) I wanted to find a shortcut back to Outskirts or anywhere else really that would get me to Farm Arrays (as Pebbles told me) without using up a Passage, but somehow ended up getting into Subterranean from the Shoreline and that led me to the Filtration system, which for some reason I thought was the Drainage system, and... as one thing led to another I ended up accidentally beating the game Shocked

Figuring I got some sort of one ending of many, I felt a little entitled to search around to see if there were other things I could do, but it seems that is the only ending in the game. That is, whether you choose to bump your max Karma up via finding the ancient echoes or just visiting Pebbles, there's not much to actually "complete" past that, other than just getting to the final area or spending more time figuring out lore, which isn't really a "goal" so to speak. While I understand that it's rather naive to think that some small semi-intelligent mammal could have played a bigger role in a world where even advanced civilizations and computers the size of islands with cities on top couldn't find a solution to their problems, at the same time I'd have liked more variety with regards to my fate rather than simply releasing myself from the cycle of the world. You know how else I could have stopped the cycle? by pressing alt+f4 Evil

What I mean to say is, the consequences of what you do during the game don't ever really pan out in the end, it's just the same ending. Regardless of how you attained enlightenment, no matter how much you killed or helped others, or what feats you achieved during the adventure, or the things you've learned. Considering the underlying themes of the game, I think it's a bit of a cop-out not to have some closure to your actions. For example, a lot of Metroidvanias have alternate endings that unlock when you go the extra mile, like the true ending of Hollow Knight that requires to go on a side-quest almost as great in scope as the core game, the many true bosses of Castlevania games as well as the inverted castle of SOTN, the hidden ending of Axiom Verge where you realize you were never really free from your nightmare, and so on.

As I saw the update detailing the new things that will make it into Rain World, on one hand I can't wait to get back in, but I also have the nagging thought of "how will this really change my experience the second time around?" I mean I could go searching for the remaining echos I never found instead of doing the Pebble thing, but I also want to hear what they have to say. I also want to help Moon and bring her more stuff, but without necessarily gracing that Pebble asshole or having to go back down the leg. It would have even been really interesting if the echos could talk to you either way, maybe at first in broken words, but more clearly as you find each of them, and also congratulate you for raising your karma yourself, or showing some disdain for having gotten it the "easy" way by simply having been gifted it by Pebbles (no small feat in and of itself for most players tbh...), because hearing their words is interesting, but already having your karma maxed out means they serve no real purpose in terms of game mechanics than to refill your karma should you die too much, making you actually not want to visit them on the chance you could take advantage (much like passages). Perhaps Pebbles shouldn't max your Karma all the way? You'll invariably run across at least two ancients coming down from the wall anyway, I have, and I was even in a rush to Moon considering I had a Neuron in each hand which I didn't want to lose. Even though the ancient at the wall calls what Pebbles gave me an unimaginable gift, I kind of have a hard time being sold on the idea that an all-powerful being would just bestow something like that to a random meatbag that made its way into his chambers, and then proceed to tell them how to properly f*** off out of this world and then forcibly ejecting them outside. Whatever did he ultimately gain from doing that?

In some ways the game is already a foot in the right direction, attaining The Chieftain makes scavs friendly to you, and The Friend means you have at least some companion(s) in your journey, which all have a tangible effect on gameplay. It would also be nice if, for instance, the other feats had some small, but appreciable effect on the game; like The Monk making vegetable spawns more plentiful, while Hunter making live food spawns more plentiful. The Saint making you more resistant to getting knocked out or raising your global friendliness factor, while The Outlaw making it easier for you to knock out or kill others while reducing the global friendliness, and so on. The simple acquiring of passages is not that great, considering it's not absurdly difficult to traverse the world anyway, and most of the fun stuff happens along the way. And of course all of this would be a lot more interesting if, at the end of the game, you were judged for your actions, and have you get a different outcome depending on what you did during your adventure. After all, some of the Ancients seemingly weren't able to ascend because of their avarice, why should you if you behaved like an asshole from day 1?

The fact of the matter is, the early game when it's still mostly about exploring a ruined alien world, is more interesting than the prospect of beating the late game, making for a "It's the adventure that matters, not the end" kind of situation, but at the same time so many games that came before have also made it pleasing to beat the game while having achieved a lot during the adventure... Rain World, for me at least, does not. Judging from the evolution of the game, I'd like to think that the Buddhist undertone/subplot was added much further into production, or at least it feels like it, simply to add closure to a game that maybe wasn't intended to have a concrete "end" state? It's interesting, but doesn't seem as tightly integrated into the world as it should. Many of your in-game feats also don't amount to more than just letting you faff about more than you already are, without really gaining any objective progress and without really mixing up the formula throughout the game other than "you can glow now and also talk to weird things. Everything in the game is amazingly well thought out, except for the one key aspect that would actually make you want to try the game over and over while undertaking radically different play styles, for grander, more global reasons other than simply seeing how the moment-to-moment experience plays out.
Well, whether you eventually pan the game out to include much more content, or make a sequel that takes into consideration many of the limitations and drawbacks you experienced along the way, I'll be waiting eagerly for them. Thanks for one of my top games of 2017, and never stop devlogging. CoolToast Right
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: July 15, 2017, 06:12:35 AM »

I'd like to report what might be a bug.

If you meet Five Pebbles and die before you reach the next hibernation chamber (or die by hibernating without food) you'll respawn with X karma still unlocked. Is that intended, or should I consider it an exploit? For speedrun purposes this could be use to save some time without using a Passage, but I think it shouldn't happen in No-Exploits runs.

Lime Mime recorded it happening here:

Oh, and now for something completely different, Cicadas are VERY bugged:

KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: July 16, 2017, 04:51:41 AM »

I noticed this "bug" too, when I quit out of the game after Five Pebbles kicked me out of his room and I realized I forgot to take along the Neurons I came for.

I figured something would at least play out differently the second time, especially now considering that I learned that you can technically get X Karma from the Ancients before getting to Pebbles, so perhaps his commentary would've changed, but the rest was the same.

It would have been cool if when you went back to Pebbles and he noticed that you already have max Karma, he would ask you if you restarted the cycle for some reason, which would have been a neat tongue-in-cheek wall break, or something similar... For all the dynamics and flexibility the game offers, the story sequences seem strangely rigid by comparison.

The Cicada thing never happened to me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:19:28 AM by KolorPikker » Logged
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: July 16, 2017, 05:47:07 AM »

Holy shit, I've been watching your GDC presentation. As a game dev this is inspiring stuff.

DuX1112
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: July 16, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »

Hello! I have a game-breaking bug to report, and after a lot of looking around for fixes (and trying MANY to no avail) I was directed by the Discord community to make light of the issue here. Namely, THE GAME WON'T EVEN RUN. All I get is an unresponsive blue screen. (See screenshot below).

Things I tried which DIDN'T work:

1) Verified integrity of game files (several times, including deletions)
2) Reinstall (with restarts in-between)
3) Downloading a Save file
4) Trying a fix for skipping home screen
5) Trying several reboots
6) Leaving the game window for hours (right now, it's been a blank blue for almost 2 hours)
7) Disabling the sound card
8 ) Disabling the Microsoft Gaming Center in Settings (a Windows game bar was appearing, I turned it off)
9) Replacing the Assembly-CSharp.dll and editing the setup.txt
10) Deleting the RainWorld_Data folder and letting the game redownload it

I have NO save files in the appropriate folder as well. Because the game doesn't even start. I've seen no animation, no title screen, no menu, heard no music... clicking or typing has no effect whatsoever.

So, my last hope, to bring this to you? What could be causing the issue? A friend suggested it might be the Microsoft Game Libraries, but upon consideration we found this unlikely because Windows detected the game and initially, a pop-up message would appear ("Press ___ to activate game bar").

Sigh. ANY IDEAS would be very helpful! Smiley Apologies for any inconvenience...

My configuration: Windows 10 64 bit, i7 4860HQ @ 2.40GHz, 16GB ram, nVidia 980m (ASUS ROG gaming laptop)

SCREENSHOT: http://i.imgur.com/5FNH4VN.png

Well, 2 weeks later and I'm back from my trip. Has anyone tried to solve my issue described above in the quote? I get a BLUE screen and that's it. Reinstalled, verified file integrity... I've never been able to play the game. Sad

HALP?
KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7215 on: July 18, 2017, 02:22:28 AM »

Well, 2 weeks later and I'm back from my trip. Has anyone tried to solve my issue described above in the quote? I get a BLUE screen and that's it. Reinstalled, verified file integrity... I've never been able to play the game. Sad

HALP?

Hmm... on the off-chance that this bug is related to your operating system, why don't you try either:
1. partitioning some disk space or swapping to another drive, install a second instance of Windows, and see if it runs on a fresh install.
2. install a virtual machine of Windows via Virtual Box or similar (ie. you'll be running Windows 10 inside of Windows 10), install the game there and see if it runs.
If it works, then it might be something on the host OS that's interfering with the game. I'm still not sure yet on what to do if that's the case though, thinking on it. Have you tried running the game .exe directly outside of Steam?

Until Rain World comes out on Mac, I'm playing my copy on a virtual machine via Parallels Desktop 12 and it runs mostly fine even with half of the system's resources usable (effectively a dual-core 2.9Ghz, 4GB RAM and 512GB VRAM), although I do get the "black intro screen with only music" bug, meaning that starting a new game I have to hold the S key to skip it. The point is that RW seems like it can run fine even on a toaster, so your system itself likely isn't the factor here, unless it's a driver issue... you have updated all your drivers, right? In my experience laptops are very sensitive/finicky when it comes to driver issues.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:29:41 AM by KolorPikker » Logged
DuX1112
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: July 18, 2017, 04:48:12 AM »

Well, I installed new drivers, and tried to turn it on from the .exe, but no changes. Still the damn blank blue unresponsive screen.

I guess I should try installing a virtual machine? Watched a couple of tutorials so it seems easy enough, but I reckon I'll have to install Steam on the VM too yes? If so, could there be a conflict between my Steam on the main OS, and the Virtual Steam? Won't Steam get alerted you have 2 instances running online at the same time, this would be like using Steam on 2 machines simultaneously right?

Also, after removing the VM and its RAM and virtual hard drive, do I get the allocated RAM and hard drive space back?

Thanks!
KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: July 18, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »

Well, I installed new drivers, and tried to turn it on from the .exe, but no changes. Still the damn blank blue unresponsive screen.

I guess I should try installing a virtual machine? Watched a couple of tutorials so it seems easy enough, but I reckon I'll have to install Steam on the VM too yes? If so, could there be a conflict between my Steam on the main OS, and the Virtual Steam? Won't Steam get alerted you have 2 instances running online at the same time, this would be like using Steam on 2 machines simultaneously right?

Also, after removing the VM and its RAM and virtual hard drive, do I get the allocated RAM and hard drive space back?

Thanks!

Just quit out of Steam on your host OS before launching it in your VM and there should be no conflict.
The VM pre-allocates some disk space (say 64GB) as a file on your system for the disk of your virtual system, so freeing up your HD is easy as simply deleting the container. CPU and RAM resources aren't partitioned until you actually boot the VM, and free up when you shut it down.
DuX1112
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: July 18, 2017, 05:15:48 AM »

Cool, I'll give that a spin, but first I'm going to try updating ALL my drivers through Driver Boost. Apparently, 17 are outdated (these are mostly related to System devices).

I'll report back when I try the VM test.
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: July 18, 2017, 06:45:27 AM »

Holy shit, I've been watching your GDC presentation. As a game dev this is inspiring stuff.

Was gonna post it, really great watch!

I work in aaa game dev, and I know a few people who could learn a thing or two from this video Wink, especially with their comment on how sometimes faking something works best as long as the result looks good, rather than going for all-out simulation.
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic