Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:14:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1447082 times)
DuX1112
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »

Hi again. I can confirm that the game runs on my virtual machine.

However, when it reaches the title screen it stutters a LOT, and the framerate is VERY POOR. Also again I couldn't actually play it - whenever I selected (barely) New Game, the game freezes, there's a black screen and it crashes. I tried four times, the second and third I was also getting a white unresponsive screen and the game crashed. I'm on my fifth attempt now, and all there is for almost 3 minutes now, is background music with the occasional stutter, and a dark animation... seems it's the menu but it's invisible. (I allocated 8GB of RAM and 4 processor cores running at 100%. I also enabled hardware 3D and 2D acceleration in VirtualBox's settings for this VM, not sure if it's utilizing my Nvida 980m or it's utilizing the Intel GPU).

Ugh. So, what gives? Here's a screenshot (not that it would help): http://i.imgur.com/YhYpeDh.png
KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: July 20, 2017, 12:39:32 AM »

There is a chance it is possibly utilizing the Intel iGPU, but I haven't really dealt with such hardware setups, so I'm not sure what the fix is. Perhaps in your GPU driver you should force it to detect Virtual Box as a GPU-accelerated program, as usually there is a manufacturer-recommended list the driver pulls from to determine whether or not to engage the GPU (a battery hog on laptops, so a reasonable assumption), and it might actually default all of VB to iGPU rendering.

With two GPUs in your system, you could use VT-d to pass through the entire second GPU as a native processor within the VM, and having looked up your CPU model, it seems that it does support VT-d out of the box. The question is whether or not you can enable it within your BIOS, as not all motherboards may support it. Virtual Box does support Intel virtualization, so if you manage to get VT-d working, make sure to enable that as well. You would then have to install nvidia drivers in the VM.

For the time being, the fact that the game does boot is a sign that something on your host system is indeed interfering with the game performance, since we've abstracted the hardware from the equation. You might want to look into looking over what kind of startup programs and other "non-essential" processes you typically have running, and disable them one at a time.
Alternatively, you could perhaps try booting the system in safe mode, which will load only the core essential process for the system to run, and see if the game loads in that way, although chances are that stuff like controller support will be broken.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:50:32 AM by KolorPikker » Logged
DuX1112
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: July 24, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »

Well... I tried it in Safe Mode with Networking, but all I get is the same old blue screen. Unresponsive. I checked the startup processes as well, but there's nothing unusual there as far as I can see. Sooooo... there's probably no solution I guess. Could be it just doesn't like my botherboard or GPU, I'm really at a loss. I have the latest Nvidia drivers... is there a redistributes package for Rain World? Like specific versions of Direct X etc.? Is there any guide on how to optimize the game? What kind of hardware is recommended? What engine does it run on? Maybe I could have an idea what may be causing the issue then.

Is any of the devs following this thread or aware of this problem?

There is a chance it is possibly utilizing the Intel iGPU, but I haven't really dealt with such hardware setups, so I'm not sure what the fix is. Perhaps in your GPU driver you should force it to detect Virtual Box as a GPU-accelerated program, as usually there is a manufacturer-recommended list the driver pulls from to determine whether or not to engage the GPU (a battery hog on laptops, so a reasonable assumption), and it might actually default all of VB to iGPU rendering.

With two GPUs in your system, you could use VT-d to pass through the entire second GPU as a native processor within the VM, and having looked up your CPU model, it seems that it does support VT-d out of the box. The question is whether or not you can enable it within your BIOS, as not all motherboards may support it. Virtual Box does support Intel virtualization, so if you manage to get VT-d working, make sure to enable that as well. You would then have to install nvidia drivers in the VM.

For the time being, the fact that the game does boot is a sign that something on your host system is indeed interfering with the game performance, since we've abstracted the hardware from the equation. You might want to look into looking over what kind of startup programs and other "non-essential" processes you typically have running, and disable them one at a time.
Alternatively, you could perhaps try booting the system in safe mode, which will load only the core essential process for the system to run, and see if the game loads in that way, although chances are that stuff like controller support will be broken.
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7223 on: July 24, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »

Massive spoilers ahead, please check it only if you're in the post-game exploration phase.
Select the text to see :

I have created a collection of game saves, which includes a save for each and every shelter existent in rainworld. You can find download it at this link :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/78kbc86alkhx1s3/DTek%20-%20All%20Rainworld%20Shelter%20Saves.zip?dl=0.
All of the saves are at max karma, with no passages used, no neurons eaten, and in some of the saves you'll have an orange gem for illumination. Some saves in GW even have a vulture mask Smiley . The locations are related to the maps on the Wiki

On an unrelated note, the map for shoreline on the Wiki is missing some connections. I dropped an older version of SL that I made that has most of those connections.
Hope this helps & best wishes ! Smiley

KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: July 24, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »

Hmm... quite frankly I'm at a loss here Shrug at this point it's probably some very specific set of circumstances that's preventing your game from running, so this is definitely an issue that the devs will have to sort out.
Rain World uses Unity for graphics rendering and input management, runs on the Futile framework, and is largely made with C# code. Optimization wise, as I've said before, it should run on a toaster given the efficiency of the techniques used (something this whole thread is dedicated to), so any performance issues I assume must be related to things beyond the scope of the game code itself. If the game runs, it runs great, if it doesn't, it tends to fail catastrophically, is the tendency I've noticed.
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7225 on: July 26, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »

dont mind me just making a test post so i can make a nice bot for the discord server :D

(also bump)
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: July 27, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »

dont mind me just making a test post so i can make a nice bot for the discord server :D

(also bump)
Oh nice, is it the one I failed to create before? The one that grabs dev updates?
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7227 on: July 27, 2017, 10:05:28 AM »

(also bump)
Oh nice, is it the one I failed to create before? The one that grabs dev updates?
Yep!
Here's the image I'm using for its avatar so I can test how it handles images. (It's one of the decals in the RW files)
Berserker44
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »

Hey I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask how your team went about creating the animated cloud shadows in the background. is it a shader with a texture? or is it a post process effect you made? I am also trying to replicate something like this in my unity game as well. any help or advice would be really helpful!
Dead_Eye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:49 PM »

Is there a date for the release of the next rain world update  because from what I see its building up as much hype as it did pre release and a lot of people are excited and want to play including me!   Hand Any Key CrazyHand Joystick
KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7230 on: July 28, 2017, 02:34:17 AM »

Hey I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask how your team went about creating the animated cloud shadows in the background. is it a shader with a texture? or is it a post process effect you made? I am also trying to replicate something like this in my unity game as well. any help or advice would be really helpful!

From way back:

The saved depth value of each pixel is used for basically every shader effect that looks good in the game, that's like the one magic trick Smiley The shadows playing over objects in the background for example are very simple - just fetch the depth of pixel (x,y), depending on that depth step a certain amount of pixels diagonally up/left to say, pixel (x-6, y-8). Once there, check if there is something rendered in the sprite layer at that location - if so, the pixel should be shadowed.

I'm guessing it's just a stencil that's being rendered off-screen, or set not to render but still cast shadows. For example, when a Vulture spawns on-screen, it's preceded by its shadow falling over the background that's not really tied to the in-game actor, so it essentially has two shadows.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7231 on: July 28, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »

Is there a date for the release of the next rain world update  because from what I see its building up as much hype as it did pre release and a lot of people are excited and want to play including me!   Hand Any Key CrazyHand Joystick

hey friends! ahh thats my fault im afraid. im dealing with some wrist injuries, so progress has been interrupted for a bit while i heal up. but things are still rolling on it and we'll post more info as things develop!

WiremanC3
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »

Hey take as long as you need man! The last thing we want is you getting burnt out by working with an injury.
Manray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: August 13, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »

Will there ever be a really long snake-like enemy in the game? I think it could be really cool because of the games physics/animation and all the tunnels, plus snakes are awesome lol
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7234 on: August 13, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »

Centipedes?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: August 14, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »

Still waiting for that update  Crazy
Hammershaft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: September 02, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »

Guys...  Who, Me?
12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: September 03, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »

Lol, yeah... though I hope it's not too impatient of me to ask if at least work has commenced again?
KolorPikker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: September 07, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »

I'd like to imagine they're having their well-deserved vacation in Monaco or Cyprus, riding around in a Ferrari with some hot babes in tow, get all tanned and sweaty under the Mediterranean sun.
At least the Rain World community is hard at work, and I'm impressed at the dedication, it seems like a lot of people are working on all kinds of stuff like mods, expansions, and artwork, myself included.
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7239 on: September 07, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »

@SkullPixel - well that's downright rude.
They worked for 6 years on this, they poured their soul out and they're preparing a content oriented free new version release.

I believe it's most certainly alright for them to be taking 6 months to relax. From my perspective, I think they'd be buying a mansion somewhere in Transilvania and planning an Undead-Vampire-Slugcat game expansion and painting the walls with their game design concepts :D .

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic