Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:29:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1421872 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7240 on: September 07, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »

Ahaha thanks all, both for the roasts and the boosts  Cheesy

Update is still going, and going well actually! It just takes a while since now everybody is working on other projects, as well as, you know, life, etc etc. (3 years of crunch is plenty, believe me!) But...we actually have a new hard deadline coming up soon though, so you will be seeing all manner of new things in the very near future.

I actually didnt realize this thread was still poppin (just assumed questions and such would have migrated to the steam forums or twitter, etc etc), so Ill try to stop by here more often!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7241 on: September 08, 2017, 02:05:40 AM »

actually, since were here...

presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: September 08, 2017, 06:18:33 AM »

Woah! Bluecat spotted!
jprosk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7243 on: September 08, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »

That is some sexy UI :D
SkullPixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: September 09, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »

Well, the question about being eaten seemed fine in my head, as being eaten is a major theme of Rain World (at least in my experience). No roast intended. Love the game.  Smiley

Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7245 on: September 10, 2017, 11:58:41 PM »

aw yiss
WolfboxW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: September 11, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »

MrToasty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: September 12, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »

So are all the arenas going to be open to play from the start?  I was thinking it would be awesome to have to unlock new arenas (0g or dark or water) by at least traveling to those places ingame.  Maybe you would also have to unlock the creatures in sandbox mode via killing them ingame.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7248 on: September 14, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »

I was thinking it would be awesome to have to unlock new arenas (0g or dark or water) by at least traveling to those places ingame.  Maybe you would also have to unlock the creatures in sandbox mode via killing them ingame.

we'll post more details soon, but its pretty much as you describe.

MrToasty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: September 15, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »

Awesome!  Can't wait!
Dead_Eye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: September 18, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »

How close are we to the update now, (or a general date) because its looking pretty close but I do know that just because it looks that way it might not be Shrug.
I am just really excited to share this amazing experience with my friends.
 Hand Any Key Lips Sealed Hand Joystick     Hand Any Key Screamy Hand Joystick      Hand Any Key Cheesy Hand Joystick    Facepalm
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: September 19, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »

I was thinking it would be awesome to have to unlock new arenas (0g or dark or water) by at least traveling to those places ingame.  Maybe you would also have to unlock the creatures in sandbox mode via killing them ingame.
Honestly, I think this is not the best way to do it. Multiplayer and singleplayer Rain World have different stakes and different pacing - they're almost two different games. And they fit two different audiences. By hiding multiplayer features behind singleplayer progression you would limit the enjoyment of people who would enjoy it the most. I think there should be an option to unlock all of the multiplayer stuff from the multiplayer itself, or people will just download everything-unlocked savefiles.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: September 19, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »

As a rule of thumb, the only time to lock multiplayer stuff behind singleplayer progression is when the latter is merely a glorified tutorial for the former.

Which doesn't apply to rain world, I think Tongue
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7253 on: September 20, 2017, 05:08:34 AM »

How close are we to the update now, (or a general date) because its looking pretty close but I do know that just because it looks that way it might not be Shrug.
I am just really excited to share this amazing experience with my friends.
 Hand Any Key Lips Sealed Hand Joystick     Hand Any Key Screamy Hand Joystick      Hand Any Key Cheesy Hand Joystick    Facepalm

good question! we are nearing the end of the development aspect of it, with just a bit of art, testing and smoothing out the new "difficulty modes" yet to go. But an issue is that now Rain World is in 7 different languages, so there might be some time with localization before we can blast it out to steam. Fingers crossed though!

Honestly, I think this is not the best way to do it. Multiplayer and singleplayer Rain World have different stakes and different pacing - they're almost two different games. And they fit two different audiences. By hiding multiplayer features behind singleplayer progression you would limit the enjoyment of people who would enjoy it the most. I think there should be an option to unlock all of the multiplayer stuff from the multiplayer itself, or people will just download everything-unlocked savefiles.

definitely a valid point, though we have our reasons (which imo will be pretty cool once they are discovered). i think with the sheer volume of multiplayer stuff were including, as well as the fact that it can all be unlocked in any difficulty mode, should be enough to mitigate any off-putting feelings on this. there will be a ton of playability just from the start, and honestly i think it would be pretty overwhelming if everything was included from the beginning.

Hammershaft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: September 21, 2017, 11:51:19 AM »

good question! we are nearing the end of the development aspect of it, with just a bit of art, testing and smoothing out the new "difficulty modes" yet to go. But an issue is that now Rain World is in 7 different languages, so there might be some time with localization before we can blast it out to steam. Fingers crossed though!

Haha can you provide a rough ballpark estimate? I'm trying to decide whether I lost my save and I'm wondering if I should restart soon or wait until the update to start a new game as the hunter.
ScarlettScarf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »

Okay, so I have a question. I adore this beautiful game, and my favorite aspect of the game play is the combat bit. When it comes to Noodleflies, can the babies be picked up/kidnapped? And if so, can they be raised? I'm basically asking if you can tame these majestic creatures. I feel as if they would be a valuable asset to my team of twin blue lizards... Evil Cheesy

Another question: are there any plans for merch outside of plushies? Like t-shirts, stickers, backpacks, etc. I would definitely purchase some!  Kiss
Carrotca
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »

Update is still going, and going well actually! It just takes a while since now everybody is working on other projects, as well as, you know, life, etc etc. (3 years of crunch is plenty, believe me!) But...we actually have a new hard deadline coming up soon though, so you will be seeing all manner of new things in the very near future.

I actually didnt realize this thread was still poppin (just assumed questions and such would have migrated to the steam forums or twitter, etc etc), so Ill try to stop by here more often!

Are more endings planned for the update because current ending is unsatisfactory. There should be an ending with Slugcat's family and other endings. Rain World was supposed to have 12 endings so what happened with that?

http://www.gamesradar.com/rain-world-wants-you-to-feel-bad-for-killing-its-hungry-enemies/
JetBlackJasper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: September 25, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »

Are more endings planned for the update because current ending is unsatisfactory. There should be an ending with Slugcat's family and other endings. Rain World was supposed to have 12 endings so what happened with that?

http://www.gamesradar.com/rain-world-wants-you-to-feel-bad-for-killing-its-hungry-enemies/

I think the quote on that article is either a typo or a complete misunderstanding! I think you're talking about the: "It seems attempting a fast playthrough where you only locate your family takes about ten hours, but there are still twelve main endings and even more sub-endings for players to experience" But honestly that feels like a miscommunication since, as I'm sure you know, while you can interpret that the slugcat finds her family, it's pretty vague and also a bit non-specific wrt to that-- Additionally, the only number that exists in that specific context or formation is the number of regions, ie: "There's 12 main regions and even more sub regions". I'm.. really confused what the original author meant with that statement.. You could actually play the main sequence way faster than 10 hours, then you could play the echo run even faster than that, but you don't Technically locate your family (yet) unless you kinda go out of your way interpret that so-- I'm having trouble trying to parse. Potentially I could just be overthinking also since the article was published nearly a year in advance. It was probably just working on outdated or incomplete info since I'm pretty sure the author hadn't seen the ending at that point and just assumed you'd find your family since-- that's how the game starts.

All that aside though, I have to disagree with the statement that the current ending is unsatisfactory! In my opinion it's an absolutely lovely bookend to your journey that leaves itself open to a genuine reflection and catharsis of the struggle and the cycles you go through. You don't find your family per say but maybe you found something better? You definitely found an idea that's Much more interesting than just an ending where you find your dudes and continue struggling to live but now with more mouths to feed. Joking aside, RainWorld honestly has one of my favorite endings in any video game-- hell, even in just any media. It's really evocative and fun to mull over.

However on the topic of family, I find myself a bit unsure about how I feel finding fellow slugcats/your family in the megastructure as like-- chaotic agents? Part of the weird thing with slugcats is since there's only the one you play and the cutscene with your family, we actually don't know much about how their sociology and hierarchy works-- How do slugcats from different families interact? Would the player be able to recognize their family just off cutscene (I mean a lot of youtubers confused the lantern mice for slugcats even, like come on)? How would other cats try to communicate with the player-- what would they even do for you? Kill you? Offer you food? Share a shelter? Just end the game? I think there's a bit too much weirdenss to account for-- and I know it came up once before that James'n Joar probably weren't going to incorporate them since they would be Capital U Uncanny looking to the player.

Despite all that, I'm still looking forward to the chance of getting to care for the pups and seeing how they affect a player's experience within the context of the world-- Especially the decision to descend and then consequently ascend. I think it'd add a very interesting dimension to the narrative and meta-narrative of the experience! Perhaps almost acting as a way of putting the player into the shoes of the Benefactors that came before and maybe even the Iterators by extension. Do you go beyond? Do you transcend and leave your pups behind? Is it your duty to take them with you? Can you even take them with you, like won't the guardians kill them at the gates? Where do your responsibilities lay in this cycling conflict now that you have these infant slug cats depending on you? Does the game truly end at this point like can you rid yourselves of these earthy attachments that now need you? Like even just adding the pups and changing nothing about the ending drenches it in this completely new concept of like what was your perceived Destiny vs what's now your perceived Duty, it's really interesting to think about even if it never happens. (not sure if we're still blocking potential spoilers but it's always best to err on the side of caution)

Anyway I went rambling, but it's super fun game to speculate about since the themes are so tightly woven! Going back to the ending, I can't actually think of a better fitting way to close out the RainWorld experience.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:21:43 PM by JetBlackJasper » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 29, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »

Hi! Sorry about the radio silence, I've been churning insanely on this update. Step by step Rain World is becoming closer to the vision, and an important part of that is of course multiplayer...

In the video you can see some of the new creatures as well! We made sure not to show anything that hasn't made its way to the internet already, but actually the update has a few completely unrevealed creatures as well.

Alright, back at it! We're quite close now, so it's maximum crunch. See you soon!
MrToasty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 29, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »

No worries, no rush.  You guys are amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic