Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:00:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsApollo Quest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Apollo Quest  (Read 3344 times)
Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2012, 02:18:47 PM »

Hi,

I'm glad to announce publicly the existence of this game I'm developing. It's not a big project but has taken too many hours this last months.

At the beginning the idea was to make a simple lunarlander with a random level generated. But soon the game started to grow for himself. The random screens offered the posibillity to make a multi screen levels but then I discover the game was  boring and I started to add elements, enemies and more. I don´t want to forget to say that most of pixel art is made for my studio mate Daniel Oliver. Without his work the game would have look terrible.

I'm conscious the game is a patch over patch without a previous design. A constant improvisation in the work. Now I have decided don't expend more time with it and start a new project with all the knowledge I learned with this one.

Now my target is to know what is your opinion, take feedbacks and show the game as much possible people. Because the purpouse of a game is to be played and if it is enjoyed , much better.

The game is not finished yet. But is near to the end and soon i hope to upload the last version. For now I'm solving bugs and polishing details.

Here some screenshots.

Here you can test the Flash version:

PLAY GAME

Trailer:

Update 2:
-Improved and clarified tutorial.
-Blinking indicators at low levels.
-New random terrain generator.
-Snap system for a gold stones.
-Shorter and easier levels.
-Now Laika store not desappears, jumps to other sector of the level.
-Fixed bugs

Update 1:
-Ship controls.
-Autobalance added to ship.
-less fuel consuming.
-slowed yellow stones.
-Repositioning between screens.
-Lowered the general difficulty.

All opinions, feedbacks, public stonings and taunts will be welcome....well not all of them  Durr...? .

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:05:47 AM by Josich » Logged

Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »

Hi everyone,

Today I have made some little changes, but it changes hugely the game experience. Mainly the ship control. It´s true, in this kind of games , the first seconds are crucial for engage the player and I have seen a problem watching my friends playing the game.

I think it hadn´t bad controls, but it required a period of adaptation and now I have understood it must be minimal. So, now the controles are slower and easier.

Furthermore I solved a problem when the ship desappears between screens.

Would be great to know what you think about the new control. If it feels confortable or not.

Thank you very much

pgil
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »

First thing I noticed when I started the game and the "level 1: moon" text came up, there was no indication of what I have to do, and I thought the game wasn't responding because it crashed. I guess I accidentally skipped the tutorial somehow... The tutorial is good, but "Try to landing here" should be "try to land here". 

The controls are pretty good, but I think it's weird how the ship rotates to an upright position on its own.

I never felt like I was in danger of running out of fuel, but I only got as far as level 2 (phobos). It might be cool if later levels had higher gravity or something, so I'd have to use more. 

The graphics look great for the most part, but I don't really like the mixed resolutions... The sprites and background are nice and detailed, but the lunar surface and the score display are pixely.  It looks inconsistent, like you ripped sprites from 2 different sources. 

I like the music. And the dog.
Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »

First thing I noticed when I started the game and the "level 1: moon" text came up, there was no indication of what I have to do, and I thought the game wasn't responding because it crashed. I guess I accidentally skipped the tutorial somehow... The tutorial is good, but "Try to landing here" should be "try to land here". 

The controls are pretty good, but I think it's weird how the ship rotates to an upright position on its own.

I never felt like I was in danger of running out of fuel, but I only got as far as level 2 (phobos). It might be cool if later levels had higher gravity or something, so I'd have to use more. 

The graphics look great for the most part, but I don't really like the mixed resolutions... The sprites and background are nice and detailed, but the lunar surface and the score display are pixely.  It looks inconsistent, like you ripped sprites from 2 different sources. 

I like the music. And the dog.

Thanks for your opinion pgil it's much appreciated.

When the level 1 starts, you are inside the tutorial. You can skip it pressing ENTER. But maybe it's confusing, I will pay attention on it and revise later.

"Try to landing here" should be "try to land here".  Embarrassed ups! (priority #1)

The autorotation is a new implementation. With this I want to make easier the ship navigation, but maybe it's weird as you say. Perhaps I should to think in a different solution, something more natural. Actually I need this kind of feedback, because sometimes I lose the perspective of what I'm doing. I's very important to me.

About the fuel consuming, I reduced the amount at this last revision to make the game more accesible it´s easy back to the previous values.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "lunar surface". Do you mean the blue texture? or the sharp pixelated surface-line?

Finally, I'm glad you tried the game I really appreciate it. I hope fix this things in the next revision.

Thanks

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »

Hmm, I don't understand, landing anywhere flat will give me diamonds?
I think it can be more interesting to need to search for good spots, like good spots will have a streak of something(copper\diamonds\whatever).
I don't think I understand how am I suppose to play this game. I mean, I know how to navigate, but I didn't understand exactly the concept. :/

Master of all trades.
Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »

Hmm, I don't understand, landing anywhere flat will give me diamonds?
I think it can be more interesting to need to search for good spots, like good spots will have a streak of something(copper\diamonds\whatever).
I don't think I understand how am I suppose to play this game. I mean, I know how to navigate, but I didn't understand exactly the concept. :/

The purpose is to find the big diamonds hid at diferent sectors ( not the red-yellow stones that appears each time you put a flag). A Red flag indicates there is a diamond at near sector (the next or previous), a blue flags means there isn't. Do you think the tutorial is not clear enough?

RayJack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:44:44 AM »

I don't think the tutorial even mentioned a blue flag.

I wasn't sure how to collect the diamonds. Do you have to land in certain places?
Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »

I don't think the tutorial even mentioned a blue flag.

I wasn't sure how to collect the diamonds. Do you have to land in certain places?

...then the tutorial is not clear enough  Undecided .I didn´t want to make it long and boring, but maybe needs a longer explanation.

Thanks a lot for test the game RayJack, I really appreciate this.

Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »

Hi,

I uploaded a new version of the game. I changed some things to improve the game experience taking in account yours feedbacks and oppinions.

You can check the list of changes at the first post.The link for the game is the same.

Would be great if you can test the game and give your oppinion.

Thanks

J.

Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 02:44:06 AM »

New screenshots added to the first post. 

Now I'm thinking to make a video and conclude the game. Tongue

Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »

Added the trailer  Smiley. The link is in the first post.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »

I went to Laika's shop, exited when I didn't have enough to buy anything, and the image of the shop menu remained onscreen. I couldn't play, and the meteors were falling.
Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »

I went to Laika's shop, exited when I didn't have enough to buy anything, and the image of the shop menu remained onscreen. I couldn't play, and the meteors were falling.

mmm weird. Have you clicked ESC to resume the game and the store remains onscreen?

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »

I love the Amiga-esque graphics.
I think the pivot of your main sprite is not properly placed, hence the rotation of the ship looks odd.
Nice implementation of the auto-stabilization Smiley

Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 02:05:18 AM »

I love the Amiga-esque graphics.
I think the pivot of your main sprite is not properly placed, hence the rotation of the ship looks odd.
Nice implementation of the auto-stabilization Smiley

Thanks for try the game astrofra. About your suggestion, I have thought about the pivot of the ship and finally I decided put it at the base of the sprite for some reasons (landing mechanic, lateral propulsors, ...). Maybe looks weird at the begining but I thinks it´s nothing terrible.

I´m happy you like the game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic