Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:10:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Tutorialsa good beginner game engine/maker for TBS games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: a good beginner game engine/maker for TBS games  (Read 22378 times)
ductape
Level 0

MAD BOMBER

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »

Hey y'all, hope this is in the right forum section.

I am looking for advice as a novice on a game maker or engine for making turn based strategy games.

I plan to start simple, but TBS games have always been my favorite so I thought I would star with this. Had a look at Game Maker and so much of the tutorials are platformers and other actiony games. Is Game Maer ok for making something like Civ or Master of Magic?

I saw xconq and that looked maybe too complicated. I want something really easy with drag and drop type options. I am most interested in creating the art and stories roght now while I ease into some of the coding.
wademcgillis
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »

Game Maker can make almost any 2D game you can think of.
ductape
Level 0

MAD BOMBER

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »

cool, yeah 2D is the way for me right now. Any tutorials on a turn based strategy type thing kicking around?
wademcgillis
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »

I know of none, but if I wanted to find some I'd go to google and look for TBS tutorials for Game Maker.
ink.inc
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 05:55:25 PM »

You might have a hard time making a TBS strategy game with Drag and Drop.

Scratch that, you will have a hard time. D/D becomes a clusterfuck as soon as you get to anything larger than a pacman clone. Imagine trying to make unit AI, or pathfinding with those little boxes. You'll end up with >30 of them for each event.

Use the built in scripting language (GML) if you're going to attempt to make this. It's pretty much retardedly easy to learn, give it a shot.

Game Maker is an excellent rapid game development tool for most sorts of projects; Drag/Drop is much less so.
ductape
Level 0

MAD BOMBER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »

OK so, Game maker, check. I googled quite a bit and never found much on how t make a turn based strat. game, nor did I find many examples of good BS games on the site. Theres that one engine, but it seems to have problems and also I would need pro version to use it at all, so until I am confident I want to use Game Maker, I dont think I will buy it.

Oh how I wish theres was something out there that allowed me to work on game mechanics and rules and graphics and flavor, etc. without all the learning to program the whole thing from scratch stuff.

maybe I will do that and just have it in documents and graphic files Tongue
ink.inc
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »

take a gander at rpgmaker

if that looks like too much, find a programmer

PS: game maker has a free version that is capable of 99 percent of all the features that the pro version has. take a gander. fiddle around. if you like it, buy it. 20 bucks is hardly a steep investment.
Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:30:09 AM »

PS: game maker has a free version that is capable of 99 percent of all the features that the pro version has. take a gander. fiddle around. if you like it, buy it. 20 bucks is hardly a steep investment.
Actually, now GM is priced at $40
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »

You can check in the Yoyo Games Forums if there are some TBS tutorials or checking the games posted there. Maybe you can find what you are looking for.

That forum is right here.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »

You has Dark Flow und Game Develop.
Go crazy and do something awesome, you sexy son-of-a-gun.

Yeah.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:43 AM »

TBS. AI. Hard.

Those are my feelings about that game type  Panda

Everything's easy but AI.

ductape
Level 0

MAD BOMBER

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »

TBS. AI. Hard.

Those are my feelings about that game type  Panda

Everything's easy but AI.

So then, ho about just making it multiplayer to start with some network stuff for online playing? WAAAY over my head, but maybe if I got it to that point I could talk someone into something like that. Its all way over my head, I know, so no need to tell me to make pong first, i get it.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »

So then, ho about just making it multiplayer to start with some network stuff for online playing? WAAAY over my head, but maybe if I got it to that point I could talk someone into something like that. Its all way over my head, I know, so no need to tell me to make pong first, i get it.

If it's TBS, you can make it for, say, two players only. So, one moves, then the camera displays the other user and it's his turn.

And so forth.

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »

I'd tend to think making it online, would be easier than making a decent AI. Of course, it depends on the game&it's size/scale.

Since it's a TBS game, it's just about gathering up the info you need the other person to know, send it over, and program so they can read&interpret) that info well.

There are plenty of examples for setting up the online stuff with something like 39dll. I'd recommend reading this site, to get you off the mark:
http://www.howtomakeanmmorpg.com/

(don't be put off with the 'mmorpg' bit. ) Beginner level stuff. Although you'll need GM pro to use DLL's, you may want to mess around with GM lite, trying to put your game together, first.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic