Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:59:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPaddlenoid (Android) - a nice, free, time-waster
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Paddlenoid (Android) - a nice, free, time-waster  (Read 2254 times)
blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »

Paddlenoid

Gameplay:

The first game that I'm ready to publicly release. It's currently only available for Android devices, but it's free !

I don't think it's entirely done yet. I feel like I should add some social aspect to it, like facebook integration for sharing highscores.

But it is definitly playable, so I'm looking for feedback from you guys as well.

Please let me know what you think of it !

There's some technical details about the game on my blog, if anyone is interested: www.deadbugprojects.com

Try it on windows here: http://www.deadbugprojects.com/paddlenoid/paddlenoid.zip
Windows controls:
 a-z: controls the left paddle
 up-down: controls the right paddle
 lshift/rshift: release the ball from the left/right paddle
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:00:41 AM by blackvanderson » Logged
blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »

*bump* - Let me know what you think.. - If none of you have Android phones let me know as well, I'll try to do a windows build !
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:55 AM »

A Windows port would be nice.
qpreik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »

Looks kinda fun, I will try it out.

Five Archers Corporation
Currently working on Battletank: L.O.B.A.
qpreik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »

My wife and I played it for a few minutes, was fun for a few minutes.  I like the style.  My only critique I guess would be that it doesn't really feel like we were playing each other, so much other stuff would happen in between.

Five Archers Corporation
Currently working on Battletank: L.O.B.A.
blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

qpreik, Thanks for playing !

I think I know what you mean. With the Co-op levels I tried to add a lot of 'teleport'-tiles so both players would get about an equal ammount of time on the ball. But as it is, regularly one player will be on the ball for 20 - 30 seconds with the other player waiting.

I've been thinking about solving this problem by renaming the 'Co-op' version to 'Single' Smiley During testing I found playing Co-op by myself to be pretty challenging at times, but it's very much possible.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this.

Udderdude, I'll try if I can get something together this weekend. My current build seems to only work on my (nvidia) PC, it's a blank screen on my (ati) laptop :S..

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »

I've got an nVidia card, so let's just see what happens I guess. lol
cirolve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:27:51 AM »

pong meets brick breaker! cool idea, downloading now
blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »

Udderdude, and other Android impaired Wink

I've uploaded my windows version, download it here: http://www.deadbugprojects.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Paddlenoid-v1.1.zip http://www.deadbugprojects.com/paddlenoid/paddlenoid.zip

It should not have any dependencies, just extract it and double click it Smiley

This version does have some graphics issues on some graphics cards. It may be that it only shows the menu, or only shows everything but the menu. Works on my GeForce GT 230...

Let me know if it works on your PC and what you think of it Smiley

Almost forgot to mention:
 a-z: controls the left paddle
 up-down: controls the right paddle
 lshift/rshift: release the ball from the left/right paddle
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:58:52 AM by blackvanderson » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »

Pretty cool, it was fun playing co-op with myself (insert forever alone face).  You may want to add a vsync option, as it was making my video card get pretty hot despite not having any sort of taxing visuals going on.  Probably rendering with an uncapped frame rate.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »

I had an issue of not being able to see anything in the middle of the screen =P

on Windows 7
running off 2 HD 6970's, fully updated. if that small amount of info means anything to you regarding the issue, I can provide everything from dxlogs and so on, depending on what you need to resolve.

EDIT: pic
EDIT EDIT: turns out having a massive 1980x1200 pic is hard to see.

blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »

Udderdude, Thanks for trying it out !

Glad you liked it. You where right about the framerate. I was using this build mainly for debugging, so I was using the framerate as a performance indicator Smiley

Pandara_RA!, I've build a new version which should definitly work on you ATI now ! Download it here: http://www.deadbugprojects.com/paddlenoid/paddlenoid.zip

This should work on most, if not any, OpenGL 2.0 graphics cards... Also added a framereate cap on 60 fps so you system is a lot safer Smiley
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »

Hmm, works fine on my android (Galaxy note), but... no single player? heh.
I guess single player would be only possible with AI. Also an online multiplayer game could be heaps of fun.
There also seems to be a bit of a lag when I try to move the paddle, I guess you didn't want the paddle to teleport, but it is also apparent on small distances. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Master of all trades.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 02:28:19 PM »

Udderdude, Thanks for trying it out !

Glad you liked it. You where right about the framerate. I was using this build mainly for debugging, so I was using the framerate as a performance indicator Smiley

Pandara_RA!, I've build a new version which should definitly work on you ATI now ! Download it here: http://www.deadbugprojects.com/paddlenoid/paddlenoid.zip

This should work on most, if not any, OpenGL 2.0 graphics cards... Also added a framereate cap on 60 fps so you system is a lot safer Smiley

Off I go to play!

blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »

PompiPompi, Thanks for playing !

I think I'm actually going to make the current co-op function a single player function. I think the gameplay is interesting and challenging that way Smiley

I've thought about network play, that would be quite a challenge to implement right, without too much noticable lag.. For now I think I'll try to add competition by sharing the highscores between players. That should add some sense of purpose to the game as well.

Can you explain some more about the lagging paddles ? There's should be a small margin before the paddle starts to move so they don't continue to twitch when your fingers are still on the touchscreen. But if it's that bad I should really work on it some more. How do you mean the paddles teleport ?

Thanks for the feedback !
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »

I mean I drag my finger on the screen, and the paddle lags behind my finger for maybe 0.5 a second? If I move my finger slow, then the lag is less visible, but there is still lag. If I move my finger fast then the paddle is way lagging behind my finger.

Master of all trades.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »

"Playthroughs" (Finishing all the levels): 4
Co-op runs: 4
versus mode "full" playthroughs: 18

Menus:

1. For sure having volume/sound fx controls would be really nice =]

Gameplay (Co-op):
Me and my older brother played out this game for quite some time, I'll mark his feedback with a +

1. Towards the end of each level things start feeling really slow trying to hit just one last block, and the challenge is really minor at this point. In my opinion a very slowly accelerating ball would solve this as it keeps the challenge and helps remove the wait of hitting the last few blocks +In my brothers opinion having a choice between a score goal or a level clearing goal would work.

2. In co-op there are times where I am in total control of the ball in some levels for long periods and my brother just kinda sat there for a long time and even took his hands off the keys waiting for the ball to go back to him. It would be amazing if he could control a very small paddle behind my paddle so he could feel like he was helping me not miss the ball, and at least give him a reason to follow where the ball is going and such.
the paddle could just mirror where is paddle is on his side but be tiny. =]

3. Score is pretty hard to understand, as you hit each block having a floating number spawned from the block saying the + score amount would be more exciting.

4. on the same note a progressive chime each additional block you hit in a combo would be fun sounding.

5. playing a game without music sometimes makes the game feels a bit empty sometimes =]
though I pretty sure you have plans already for music =]

Gameplay (versus):
1. Please do not have multi balls in versus haha, having 6 balls bouncing around does nothing but randomly make one player lose. It just makes the game feel completely out of control.

2. Me and my brother both want a reason to be hitting the blocks in multiplayer, then take that score and turn it into something awesome like a power ups or something.
 maybe if I tap the screen it'll shoot a little beam at the cost of points.

2. since it takes 3 missed balls to lose the round, please have a marker showing how many ball lives remain for each player.

Suggestions for the future of the game:

These suggestions can be completely impossible for you though they still are ideas I could see implemented in the game.

1. a Power-up letting you shoot a laser or thing by slashing the screen with your finger.

2. a Power-up letting you draw a small line on the screen that the ball bounces off of.

3. Online play

4. Single player

5. Randomly generated levels for single player/multilayer co-op

Final thoughts:
Overall the game feels like jr. Arkanoid with the addition of some interesting co-op and versus gameplay, with some polish I could see this being a really good time sink for my phone.

I will continue to play all your new versions btw. =]

blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »

PompiPompi,
Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand what you meant with the lag. The teleportation as well. Because the paddle instantly moves to where you're touching the screen after releasing the screen.

The lag is explainable, here's Microsofts version:

Smiley My first thought was to use the lag, actually, give the paddle a maximum movement speed, as an extra game mechanic. But early play testers (my girlfriend Smiley) decided it felt frusterating, especially if it makes you miss the ball...

But it's a valid point, I should take another look at it and decide one-way or another.

Pandara_RA!,
Thanks for testing ! You may have even put more time in playing it than I did Smiley

You're raising some really interesting points. I'll go over them:

Menu:
You're right. Since it currenly only has sound effects I thought people would just use the volume control buttons on the phone. But if I'm including music I should definitely add more controll here.

Gameplay (co-op):
1. Good point, more people have said this. I'm currenty considering to either just finish the level with 'n' ammount of bloks left. Or I could make some kind of objective. Like erase all of the blocks of a certain kind and the level will finish. Anyway, do something to make the last couple of blocks feel like less of a chore Smiley I'll try some different things here.

2. I really like the suggestion of beeing able to help your partner when the ball is not on your side. But I'm currently also on the fence on making coop into single-player; Leaving it as it is and just encourage people to use both thumbs.

3, 4. These are solid idea's, I'll probably add both Smiley

5. Well.. I have a good idea of what I want to do with the music, but like everything about designing a game, I'm finding it a lot harder than I thought it would be Smiley But I'll definitly add some.

Gameplay (versus):
1. I may have gone overboard on making some verus levels exiting Smiley

2. I agree. And I tried to do that. Most of the blocks here have a function, like covering a hole in the level border so you can score some easy points if you manage to remove them. But still, having a laser beam sound like a great powerup !

3. There is an indicator, like in this screenhot:
But I realize it might not show correctly on your video card in windows .. I'll fix this ASAP.. No use in leaving a build that's parly broken .. It's fixed. I've updated this location: http://www.deadbugprojects.com/paddlenoid/paddlenoid.zip It should contain version 1.3.

Suggestions for the future of the game:
Some interest suggestions Smiley I'll definitly make the online play, but only in that you can share highscores Smiley Otherwise I'm afraid it would be to heavy / complicated / error prone for the kind of game I think this should be.

Currently it's easy to create your own levels. If the game would ever pick up I think I would pursue this before generating random levels .. Document the level making process and make it easy to share the levels.

Thank you very much for your feedback ! It's much appreciated and very helpful !

I don't know when I'll have another version that will show the improvements everyone has suggested. It may be some time since I can only work on this in the evenenings and weekends .. But I'll definitly let you know !

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:32:19 AM by blackvanderson » Logged
blackvanderson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:18 AM »

Hi !

Just an update..

I've release the final version (for now ... ) for this game. I created an announcement here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=28041.0

Eventually I didn't put in all of the suggestions, altough there where some pretty good ones. I did add some music though, but don't worry, this can be switched off Smiley

So thank for all of your feedback, it's really appreciated !
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic