Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411602 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 12:07:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSplatter - Blood Red Edition - Now also Linux & OSX
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Splatter - Blood Red Edition - Now also Linux & OSX  (Read 18223 times)
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2020, 02:15:17 AM »

Epic necro:

Splatter did "ok" on Steam: 4k units sold directly, most on sale, I estimated about 30k US$ revenue. I also did bundles, which were a mistake in retrospective, because it swamps the shady reseller sites with cheap keys. Splatter had like 30k of "keys activated" which means 30k people getting their keys from some a different place than the Steam shop. Most of them are bundles.

Then I sold the Steam rights in October 2016. Contract was limited to 2.5 years. The buyer did some stuff I don't agree with, like reducing the price to 0,99€ and giving huge discounts on *that*. He also put a Splash Screen to ask for one's email address in front of it, produced with Unity and occasionally crashing peoples computers before they even got into the game. But that's sort of ok, it's now not my position to judge.

What he also did was to completely ghost me once the transfer was done. I asked for some numbers and experiences after a while, never got a response, didn't think about it. Then April 2019 came and the contract ended, and still nothing. I started sending mails to the contact info I had, some addresses didn't exist anymore, others gained not response. I started bothering Valve. The Valve guy who did the transfer back in 2016 still remembered, got suspicious ("how many other games are affected?") and finally the buyer gave in and responded. He's still ignoring any mail you don't CC to Valve, and ignores any paragraph he doesn't like, but at least: I got my game back!

Did a small patch right away: some restyling, fixed a long-standing shadow bug, removes the Splash Screen. Linux will get a fix, too, because I found the cause of the "black screen with music" issue while working on the Snake project.

So a suggestion: do not sell your game to shady third parties even if they don't look shady at the beginning. Nowadays the game transfer on Steam is automated, so no Valve employee will remember you, so you're out of luck.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:53:30 AM by Schrompf » Logged

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2021, 07:17:31 AM »

Necroing again, but it's my game, so I'm allowed to.

I updated the game once more: https://store.steampowered.com/app/281920/Splatter__Zombiecalypse_Now/

Originally wanted to "quickly rebuild the executable with my updated framework". But a few dependencies moved alot in the meantime, so I had to adapt parts of the scripting to match. And I found some ancient issues, present since the dawn of time. I feel ashamed for having shipped the game with these. Well, now it's all nice and tidy again.

Linux version is still missing. Can't get it to build anymore, would need to write CMake files for all my stuff. Urg. Revenue-wise it's wasted work, anyways, I'm just doing this for my personal well-being and the nerd cred. So I might as well do a Linux update, too.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic