Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 04:45:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Spriter:Animation program that uses the same animation technique from Muramasa
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Spriter:Animation program that uses the same animation technique from Muramasa  (Read 5931 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter
 Hand Money Right WTF

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:33:03 AM »

It looks like a clever and useful tool, though personally I don't like this type of animation.

Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:41:08 AM »

25,000$ what for?

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 03:54:39 AM »

Would be cool if there'd be available for everyone and universal 2D animation tool.

iffi
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:23 AM »

You had me at "Muramasa."
gecko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 06:06:21 AM »

WANT IT. NOW.

Torres Baldi Studio
http://torresbaldi.com
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:59 AM »

this seems like it could be really neat, although it will probably end up resulting in a bunch more flash game ragdoll looking games than ones that look like muramasa or super robot wars. Still, nice.

Lo
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »

No worries, Red. I'd know exactly what to do with it : DDDD
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »

this looks great, I've wanted a tool like this for so long.

i wanna be the guy
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »

i might have to check this out at some point

looks REALLY nice
Elk
Level 1

エルク

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »

this seems like it could be really neat, although it will probably end up resulting in a bunch more flash game ragdoll looking games than ones that look like muramasa or super robot wars. Still, nice.

Agreed

For business inquiries send me a forum PM! No Revenue-Share stuff without proper contract.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »

I actually wrote a tool that does exactly this in about 2 weeks in XNA. Although their's looks a lot more professional. It looks cool  but the most important thing to me is the export format. It needs to be able to be integrated easily into different game engines for it to be of any real use.
Did you write it to make animations for Lumberjack?

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »

Agreed
I don't mind this. If even just one very nice looking game results from it, it'll be fully worth it. Bad looking games will always abound, regardless of the tools used to make them look bad. Shrug

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

It looks cool  but the most important thing to me is the export format. It needs to be able to be integrated easily into different game engines for it to be of any real use.

Absolutely. They seem to already have it set up to integrate nicely with Construct and indicate that they plan to do the same with Unity.

Buried in the comments section, I see this:

Quote from: Edgar Muniz
Spriter's format is very easy to work with, and we will be providing full documentation and free forum support to any developer who wants to incorporate Spriter animation into any engine.
Which sounds promising. Here's hoping they know how to build a solid file format that will cope with the potential explosion of features Smiley
Esti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »

What are the differences with flash animation?, I mean, I never did it myself but I know there is a way to convert flash into sprites. I'm downloading the beta to try anyway www.brashmonkey.com/spriter/SpriterBeta.zip

Edit:I rewatched the video and they talk about a "technique" wich allows us to have infinite potential frames without wasting vram, and also a lot of cool things like changing animations on the fly but I still don't get how they can achieve that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:16:44 PM by Esti » Logged

Music Producer
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 02:59:12 AM »

That's, I think, the benefit over flash and primary point of the whole thing: you don't just export sprites, you export the data that lets you recreate the animation in-game, with a much smaller filesize, and alterable on the fly. It's not fully rendered frames, it's information for keyframes.

trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 04:16:00 AM »

When I tried it about year ago, it had really messy interface uncomfortable to work with. Hope newer builds have more clean workspace.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »

Edit:I rewatched the video and they talk about a "technique" wich allows us to have infinite potential frames without wasting vram, and also a lot of cool things like changing animations on the fly but I still don't get how they can achieve that.

the movement between keyframes is calculated. the only thing going into your vram are your initial. That said, making things look good with only rotation, scale, and position available to you is difficult.

trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »

I wonder if it really saves resources. Yeah, file size and VRAM ofc, but how about CPU calculation of lots of characters with a large number of body parts to be tweened?
Still, good for big bosses etc.
trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »

According to their site ( http://www.brashmonkey.com/buyspriter.htm ), there's option for exporting frames to PNG images in PRO version
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic