Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:31:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIndie Action
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Indie Action  (Read 53269 times)
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

Hey Tom !

Thanks, always good to hear dev feedback !

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »

PROGRESS

Ok, So Ive done alot of stuff...

Changed the Physics/faster frame rate - The game feels a bit faster, frame wise, not really faster game-play wise, but player movement feels more smooth.

Improved Quote and Iji - I wasn't exactly sure how to integrate projectile heavy characters into the game, in the beginning. Iji now has faster firing speed, and Quote does as well, with the addition of a 'King' uppper melee.
These two are now worth using.

Few More Added Details

When the hyper gauge is full, you enter hyper mode.
You can either use the hyper special, or you can remain 'Hyper'(unable to be stunned by any attack).

I've made the stages a bit bigger also, they felt cramped.

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:18 AM »

Looking awesome as always, Garlic guy Smiley

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »

Very nice, very nice--I'm glad to see this still coming along. Smiley

Griffin (Telepath RPG) - Does a sword Combo, then uses 'Backhander', Knocks target backwards.

Oooh, nice choice! Will the sword damage the characters above Griffin when he flips it up into the air?

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »

@ Squid. Thanks, Brah!

@ Craig. Yeah, I don't see why not. The support character was going to be Rahel, but then I realized Griffin was the leader.

-------

PLANS/THOUGHTS

I'm working on the mechanics of the game right now, before I start on anymore characters, support characters, and such...

Been thinking of giving each character an upper, and lower ground melee attack. This wouldn't exactly be much more work.

The game still feels like its missing something, or maybe I'm just expecting too much from it, I don't know...

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »

interactive enviroments?

I would reccomend playing something like super smash bros for inspiration

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2012, 05:01:47 AM »

@squid. Yeah, a lot is already based around smash brothers. I try to give the game it's own identity though.

I've put new better looking hit sparks in the game (not seen in the demo yet), they look better, but I know the games graphics are not where it's lacking (I know the graphics arn't spectacular, they just arnt important right now).

The combat and feel of the game-play is what's missing something, in my eye's.

So, I'll just throw ideas at a wall, test them, and see what sticks...

ideas

1. Grab attacks

2. Auto targeting - in most fighting games, the fighters always face each other. Meaning I'll need to add backwards walking and maybe jumping animations. With the game being a platformer I don't know how this would turn out.

I'll try other things as I come up with them.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2012, 05:58:30 AM »

I bought Graphics Gale, and now making sprites is twice as easy, thanks to the power of Onion Skinning!

The auto target system made it harder to move from platform to platform, and the grab attacks made things more
cheap.... So Im just gonna expand upon what's already functional in the game.

The game itself is more than just a fighting engine, and can do a lot more than just combat. I had the idea of adding things like and iji tasen shredder stage or a dishwaher guitar solo...again that's me getting ahead of myself.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:16:39 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »

Sea Monkeys, Interactive environments, and better music

Naija has all her melée attacks, and one special. Pretty much 65% done

In the runman stage, you can get hit by racing mosey-men. Ive changed the look of the stage also.

I upgraded from mod music to all new mp3 music, all of them fit very well. Of the new songs Id say I like Runmans theme the most.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »

Minor yet Major change to the sprites

I'm doing a new shading style. Using different hues as a base.
Luckily there are only 6 complete characters and this change isn't too much of a task.

Xoda, Seikleja, and Barkley have been edited fully already.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »

Hah, nice. Hue shifting / increasing saturation on shaded portions really helps to make the colors interesting. The new version's a lot better - much less 'flat'. Very professional!

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »

@ SolarLune - Thanks, Man!

------

Another Major Change

The game now plays like a 'Viewtiful Joe: Red hot Rumble', for those who don't know about that game, it could best be described as a cross between 'Mario Party' and 'Power Stone'.

here's some results mug-shots, I rushed up:

How The Game Plays Now  

The main objective is not to fight your opponent, instead, its to complete 3 missions (or best two of three) in each stage. For example, in one stage your told to kill 12 agents, the first person to kill 12 agents wins the round, and then the next mission may be to collect the most items...er something.

You can still fight each other, but its no longer the main focus. K.O'ing an opponent will cause them to fail the mission, but they will come back in the next mission.

oh, and when there's more than 2 players there are tie breakers.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:25:51 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »

Mission System Ready

Missions can be almost anything, like,  boss battles, item collection, capture the flag, so on...the sky is the limit.

When you've won a mission, a star will appear under your hp bar.

If there is ever a draw (which can only happen when there are more than 2 fighters) the match goes into overtime and the mission is to fight.

No More Hyper Specials

with the combat no longer being the main focus, they no longer need these attacks. This also means I don't need to work as hard on the characters melée system.

The whole game feels balanced between the stage and the characters. no more boring old fighting.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

Like... what's the point of suddenly changing the game mechanics and stuff? I'm not saying it doesn't sound interesting or something, but at least you could keep the current battle system as a game mode, don't you think?

btw the new sprites and mug-shots look nice

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »

Like... what's the point of suddenly changing the game mechanics and stuff? I'm not saying it doesn't sound interesting or something, but at least you could keep the current battle system as a game mode, don't you think?

btw the new sprites and mug-shots look nice

Hey, not changing the mechanics at all, the point is to give the player something else to do, other than fighting over and over. But the battle system is always there, and yeah, I'll keep it as a game mode.

Thanks!

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »

I've been polishing things ( animations, gameplay) still feeling good about how this game is going along.

Made some small changes to the menu screens, to give them a more general feel. I don't know who really cares about how a menu looks in a game Tongue

Not trying to impress anyone with this game, just finishing a "what if".

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »

Naija is done

Starting to get back into a good pace, 5 characters left.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 25, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

update

I've realized that the whole "mission" thing is kind of a dumb idea... well, not dumb... just not needed.

so...its all just fighting again.

I'm considering getting rid of Trilby. Yahtzee is a great guy, and I love the Chzo Mythos, but I need to get rid of someone, so this project can be completed quicker. I'd like to get to the "polishing" stage sooner.

I'm rushing this thing mostly because this project starting me feel like a "awkwardly random" understudy.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2012, 12:51:30 AM »

Well, I'm thinking it's an interesting twist; a way of being indirectly competitive. You don't have to take it off the table, but you can certainly keep the idea afloat, maybe even just implement a few simple ones - kinda like a competition to break something like a Super Smash Ball, but scoring a point for that (PLUS a point per K.O.), instead of side-tracking it into super attacks.

Screens are looking sweet, btw.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2012, 07:39:58 AM »

Rushing a project is never good because you'll feel like if it were "incomplete" once you finish it. Take your time man, you don't have a deadline or something, and remember that "it's done when it's done". Cheers

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic