Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:57:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Share Your Palettes
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Share Your Palettes  (Read 61375 times)
JWK5
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:03 PM »

A good palette makes the drawing process a little easier so I figured I'd try starting a palette resource topic for us to all share and swap palettes in. Here's the base palette I am using currently (I put it together in GraphicsGale):

Here is the .PAL file if anyone wants it (it was saved in GraphicsGale, I am not sure what other apps use .PAL).
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »

A palette topic, fun!

Now, I typically have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to pixel art, so it's going to be a bit harder to justify my decisions in coming up with my messes of palettes...  But I still do enjoy dealing with them, even if they don't make much sense.

So, here are the ones I've dealt with to date...

NOTHNG7A.GIF

The palette I was using for Nothing, after several revisions.  The game was to be set entirely during night, so there's a lot of blues and purples.  Overall it wasn't too useful, and I ended up using very little of the palette.

NEWPLTTE.GIF

An attempt to come up with some more interesting colors for an art style I ended up being incapable of handling.  This palette kinda ended up being all over the place, and I barely ended up using at all; used in JiroSum, and nothing more.

DARKLED.GIF

I ended up thinking this one through a bit more than the others.  This one was made specifically for Illuminator, in such a way that any color I'd use would have an easy ramp towards dark blue, which served as darkness in the game.  Y'know, since the whole game was based off of light and darkness, and it would be doing a lot of transparency blending during runtime.  It worked well enough.

COLOURLY.GIF

My latest attempt at an all-purpose palette, made specifically to try to keep me from relying on "safe" colors.  Admittedly, I didn't have much of a plan when making all those gradients, and a lot of space is now wasted on "useless" colors...  But I've at least gotten something out of it, so it's served its purpose well enough.

EDIT:  Oh wait, was this supposed to be more "art"-type palettes?  I went and posted my game-based ones instead.  I hope that's alright.
JWK5
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:20:31 PM »

EDIT:  Oh wait, was this supposed to be more "art"-type palettes?  I went and posted my game-based ones instead.  I hope that's alright.
Either is fine.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:34:01 PM »

I'm IN like SIN! This is an awesome topic idea.

I use this palette in a new game:

It's for terrain. Actually I'm not super-happy with it, not enough GREEN. But we'll see.

I use this for The Real Texas when generating books for bookshelves/etc. The algorithm just chooses a pixel randomly for the color to use. It seems like old books once you take the dustcover are all mostly these sorts of colors (I wonder why? Probably some numinous reason going back to the dark ages...)

JWK5
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »

Revised and reworked my palette. You can download it here (in .PAL format).

Hawt Koffee
Level 1

That's a wild fire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »

all of them are stolen anyway
LazyWaffle
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 06:03:40 AM »

Just made one this morning.

keo
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »

by cutting shapes out of the color wheel...

awesome, my mind is illuminated!  really never thought to do anything with the color wheel other than picking apart colors. 
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »

Yeah, that is genius.  Wow.
I'm gonna have to try that...
Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »

yeah, I'm totally stealing this technique
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 02:05:48 AM »

Damn. Cutting shapes out of the color wheel is so obvious it should be taught in "Pixel Art 101" tutorials, but somehow it's never occured to me.
JWK5
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 03:04:13 AM »

I put together a palette mimicking the "old master" paints for creating graphics with a classical painting look.

You can download the .PAL here.

ink.inc
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 03:20:13 AM »

:0
Theophilus
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »

JWK5
rdein
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:57 AM »

JWK5
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

the ohrrpgce used this palette

so thus most of my early games used that

later they added the ability to make your own palettes. i created one for my game 'ziggurats for red turtle' and orchard-l (a friend who i make games with) liked it, and he's that palette ever since for our games' pixel art. i can't find a picture of that palette offhand though, but i have gifs that use it. is there a tool to get the palette of a gif and arrange it in a pattern like the ones above?

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 11:36:08 AM »

If you've got Photoshop you can open it up and set it to indexed color, then export then export a color table.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »

i don't own photoshop (i'm a poor indie who can't afford 700$ software) -- can you do that in gimp?

Theophilus
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »

Yes.

Open the image and go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed

Then go to the palettes dialogue. On the palettes menu click Import Palette -> From image and select the open image you want to import the palette. It should save it as a palette when you finish that dialogue.
JWK5
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »

You can do it in GraphicsGale just by selecting colors and then dragging and dropping them right on to the palette. GraphicsGale has a free version (which is what I use).

In any case, I made another palette (I am working towards one that feels right for my game project). With this one I de-emphasized green and yellow and strengthened ultramarine blue and violet. It has a lot of nice dark neutrals and would be really good for a Dark Souls or Castlevania feel. While it has no true red on it that works as an advantage since you can reserve true red for blood effects (etc.) and have it really pop out.

You can download the .PAL here.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic