Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:53:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMotocross Challenge for GBA
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Motocross Challenge for GBA  (Read 7546 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »

Hello everyone!
I would like to have a bit of feedback about my last game, Motocross Challenge.

Developped as a homebrew project for the GBA, the game was released publicly after our deal with our publisher was canceled. So, instead of having a gold game sleeping in our drawers, we thought that it would be nice that the public gets the rom for free.

I took care of all the artwork and 80% of the design. Any thoughts, suggestions and critcs are welcomed! Even though we cannot change this game as it is, we are planning to make a new version so don't be shy! 

Motocross Challenge
Plateform: GBA
Download at:
http://www.g4g.it/download/comment.php?dlid=1519
or
http://www.uploadbigfiles.net/download.php?file=501motocrosschallenge.zip
Screen shots:

----

----

Thanks!
Guert

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:44:21 PM »

Very good, I'll give more feedback later (though it seems like it's a finished project, will you still be making changes to it based on feedback?).

One thing that annoyed me is that (it seems like) whenever the enemies touch me I fall down, but they don't fall down whenever I touch them, which seems unfair.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »

Well, even if the project is finished, we're working on a second version with many updates. Very comments will be used for the next version. We've already started changing things so don't be shy.

I agree, the rules about bike collision might needs some refining. I don't want to make the game too "contact-oriented". I wanted to really focus on racing, much like real mx racing where contact is prohibited. What do you think could done so it feels fair?

Later!
Guert
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:05:28 PM by Guert » Logged

Shabadage
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

TIGSource Oil Worker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »

If this game is anything like Motocross Maniacs, I love you.  Fuck it, I love you anyway; now to find my flash cart...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 12:52:18 PM »

One thing you can do is simply remove collisions: don't make crashes due to two bikes hitting, for either one, but act as if they can go through each other.

BTW, this game reminds me of Exitebike, the basic mechanics anyway. Which is good, I liked that game. Perhaps a level modding feature would be good if possible? But GBA probably has restrictions on save file size so you might not have enough room for that.

Will play it more soon, I'll definately try to get through most of the levels and report back,

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »

The game reminds excitebike a lot actually,  but it doesn't play the same way.

We've been thinking about a level editor for a while. The second verison would be on the DS and I can really see the players build their tracks using the stylus. All I have to do now is convince the other guys to do it Wink

Thanks!
Guert

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:37:44 AM »

I just downloaded the game. Will tell you what I think about it, once I'll play it for a while.

The graphics looks nice though - good job.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
CosMind
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 10:54:05 AM »

hey, guert, what is this:

http://rgcd.co.uk/news/

!!

good shot!
 Grin
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »

whoa, the cover of a magazine.  Congratulations!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »

Ha ha thanks!

Yeah, we're doing the cover and an in-depth interview with the guys over at http://rgcd.co.uk/. I didn't know that the preview was already out! Thanks for the link.

So if you can get a copy of the mag, you won't need to download the rom Wink

BTW, anyone lese tried the game out? I'm really looking forward for your imprssions on it. We've started to plan a sequel and the second version has already started its development...

Later all!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »

Hate to double post but, some may be interested to know that the magazine is out and free to download.

The disc includes many good games so check it out, it's worth it!
http://rgcd.co.uk/current-issue/

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »

its okay to double post if there's 10 days between the 2 posts.
you got lucky this time, mister.

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »

That's right, Guert. You got lucky.
And now I've come to kill ya for what you done to Ned. *spits in the spitoon*
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »

Ned got what he deserved, fair and square. That lill maggot shouldn't hav' mess't 'round with ma daughtas!
 Grin

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 05:27:44 PM »

I've gotten further in the game, but still haven't finished it.

I don't like that it uses a password system instead of saving the game. I know save states make that not a problem, but if it were on the actual system it'd be annoying to have to write a password down -- that should have been left behind in the 80s.

I also think there's too much "air time" -- little bumps put you in the air for like 4 seconds, and large ramps for like 20 seconds. I think you spend more time in the air than on the ground, which takes away a lot of the control from the player (a lot of the time they can't do anything but wait).

It also seems as if the AI's have different physics than I do. We both hit a ramp at the same speed, but the AI's go back to the ground in a few seconds, whereas I stay in the air for much longer. It could be a bike difference, or some trick I don't know about, but it seems weird.

Other than that, still very fun, it's my favorite racing game since F-Zero 64 and Mario Kart SNES.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »

Hey there RinkuHero!

True, so very true... I hate the password system actually. It was our very last resort option and we had to use it.

About the air time... We will see if the air time isn't too long. We really wanted to make sure that players would have enough time to create trick combos. Still, it may be too long. I'm writting this on my checklist Wink

About the opponent, that may be a bug or a wierd behavior. In theory, they should behave like you but they may have slower bikes. I'll talk about this with the AI coder to see what's the deal with this.

Thanks alot for the nice words!
Take care!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 06:42:24 PM »

For those who might be interested...

Our game is being published on cartridges as we speak. We made a deal with the good people at http://rgcd.co.uk/ to make them the only one authorized to sell our game on carts...

Just thought I'd let you know...
Later!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic