Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:00:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNoughts - Puzzle Quest Platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Noughts - Puzzle Quest Platformer  (Read 4963 times)
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 05:20:01 AM »

Weekend summary:
  • Starting points are now colored the same with number pointer above nought — white for selected one and black for others (I have no idea now why I haven't done it before) This helps to find respawn location more quickly. There would be more ways to get respawned also.
  • I've dug out my conversation with The Secret Consultant I had last august, which helped me to set a base under items' behaviour, according to cool theoretical model we have (no-one knows it yet, but will form the game). Now inverted noughts can't carry items, and newly made voids destroy them.
  • The first quest about heavy sleeper is done, almost. Amazingly, when you skeep spites drwaing and use 'programer's art', things go much faster.
  • 'Flow of time', where players will certainly reload often, now has the starting dialogue as optional, not immidiate.
  • Jump width is corrected for medium and big noughts. I had my air friction work awry, and now it looks more naturally.

I also wrote a tech specs about physics, every object type, all pickups and charaters. This document, even without pictures I want to draw in it, quite helpful for designing levels. If anyone wants to make a puzzle for Noughts — PM me.

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »

I'm still making it.
Fullscreen mode is added.
I guess nobody will argue with statement that fullscreen mode is good. You can play the game without seeing window controls, distracting taskbar, have advantage of your big screen, immerse deeper in the upshot. The devil is in realization.

I guess many people like HOMM3. If you launch it now, the game will stick to it's own maximum size and then get ported to display's actual size. Interpolation will surely kill all crispy pixelart, smudge thin lines and distort fine fonts. Big display won't give you any advantage. The gaming filed will only blow up but you will see as much of it as you could see before fullscreening. Large field is what is expected, large buttons are less wanted with such a game.
That's why there's a special version of HOMM3 made buy kind people, which will launch expanded but not stretched, with a field as huge as your display is. Yeah, it has small buttons, rather small city screen, but it's the best you can have with a compiled game.

It would be different nowdays. Graphics are now drawn in vector, or in huge rasters which get downsampled on the fly, or in 3d-models being rendered in size you need, or all methods at once. Nowdays games adapt display size.

I am slowpoke. I've been making my game since 1024x768 was a common resolution. I had comics with proportions and size of my characters already set up, and my levels and my window got sticked to it. While it seem to be vector-ish (and it is by it's nature), it's really all resterized. Three sizes for characters? Three sets of sprites. I could shrink one big set, but it would get my edges oversharpened. I had no clue how to fix this and I'm not sure I can do it now. The only expirience I have is Johnatan's Blow one with fixing fading trees in upcoming "The Witness" (which were remade since then) — http://the-witness.net/news/2010/09/computing-alpha-mipmaps/.

What could I do then with fullscreen?
I made up the solution quite ago, but only now have done it.
Small rooms get centered in black field. It sounds easy, but it required one more refactoring.

Build 0.0.7.3: https://yadi.sk/d/yjS331bumaYpa

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 04:03:15 PM »

I'm no programmer - but just wanted to say I really like all the art/screenshots, etc. It looks really interesting! Haven't played it yet, but I'll definitely check it out.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
lobstersteve
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »

Interesting looking game Smiley
Curious how it plays
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 03:46:21 AM »

Curious how it plays
Try it Giggle

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:25 AM »

What platforms does it support?
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 05:42:43 AM »

What platforms does it support?
I plan to release it for Windows first and then port it elsewhere, I guess touch devices too. It depends on interest and price of modules for GM:S to export with. Are you interested in special platform?

chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »

Holidays-mode is still active.

• Now background fades to gray when dialogue pause is on, to emphasise comics stylization and attract attention to disabling controls over movements.
  • Night background for inverted noughts/voids is now fully saturated and colorful rather then dull and faded with black as it was before.
  • Bubbles now have cool timer-stripes showing remaining show-time. I hope it will reduce count of next remark missings because of pressing the key simultaneously with change of bubble to zero.
  • These timers allow me to turn most of possible interrupting dialogues to overlaying ones.
  • Nevertheless there still important talks, which must occur when other chat is happening, so noughts now can visually interrupt each other to speak about important stuff.

I won't update download link because nobody downloads it, ho-ho Droop

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 10:05:29 AM »

I only run Linux, so I was curious if it was easy to try out. I'm kind of on the fence if I want to install Wine again - I think it supports GM pretty well though.
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »

I only run Linux, so I was curious if it was easy to try out.
It would cost most $99.99 to export it for Ubuntu. If there would be mega discount for GMS modules, I will surely buy it, but right now I can't afford them, sorry Sad
I'm not sure how fast it could run under Wine, so you would be the first to find it out, if you decide to try it.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic