Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:34:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Simple 3d Character (noobie needs help)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple 3d Character (noobie needs help)  (Read 1800 times)
Stib
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »

So I need to create a 3d character that I can easily animate and create skins for. I don't mind if this character is dead simple just as long as it is highly reusable (Similar to Lego's 3d games).

Here is what I have made so far:

Do you have any advice for making a reusable model or rig (like Lego characters)?

My other concern is how difficult this character will be to animate due to the short limbs (I just started working on the rig). Will motions like flexing biceps be impossible? If so do you have any suggestions on how I could fix this and retain the cute, big-headed, toy look?

xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »

I'm actually going to be releasing a tutorial on making and using rigs very soon, I just need to push through some things in my personal life before I can process the word file into internet safe formats...

If you weight the vertices of a limb to just one bone, you should be able to preserve the blocky-ness of your character.  When you animate him, make sure to use sweeping and exaggerated movements; your character has traded poseability and detail for energy and motion.   

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
Stib
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »

I'd love to see that tutorial xrabohrok. I guess my question was a little vague but it does come down to making the rig properly, which is something I don't have a lot of experience in. And your suggestions make a lot of sense. Thank you Smiley

I've been having trouble with automatic weight painting and so I have been trying, as you mentioned, to have individual bones control very specific vertices. I'm not sure I'm choosing the right sets but the rig is getting better.

One other question. Is it better to have just one fully connected mesh as opposed to a mesh of individual shapes joined together?
xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »

If re usability is what you are going for, you should actually just use the same mesh/rig setup and just reskin him a-la lego figures.

The automatic envelope rig just doesn't work really well.  And when I say "not really", I mean "just about never":

Is it better to have just one fully connected mesh as opposed to a mesh of individual shapes joined together?

It really doesn't matter.  There are advantages to both ways, it is a matter of preference.

The tutorial is now up.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic