Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:32:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZombie RTS
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Zombie RTS  (Read 7396 times)
RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »

Hi all,

I guess i'll start my devlog with the simple pitch of the game i'm currently developing;

• Urban Zombie Apocolypse Setting
  • Tower Defense / RTS mashup
  • Cannon Fodder art style
  • Sense of great loss from each unit's death
  • Individual unit identities with skill progressions
  • Fortify and defend a central base
  • Must break out into the open to expand to new areas, find food and gain new units by rescuing trapped survivors
  • diverse enemy ai that'll make you think about how to best deal with them
  • Selectable "Extreme Arcade" mode, designed for instant pickup, short bursts of gameplay with instant gratification and constant rewards, refining and streamlining many genre defining actions to their bare mechanics allowing for rapid gameplay

It'll be slow going, i have a job and a girl who take up a lot of my time, but i'm an iterative prototyper, so i'll be posting stuff as and when its interesting.

I'm developing in C++ with GLEW & GLFW using OpenGL 3.1, it'll be for Windows first, but i'd like to think i can port it to Android at a later date, it'll be mouse controlled and will only use 1 button, so controls will be easy to translate, i'd imagine it'd make a pleasent tablet game..

Current Status:

Target: Milestone 1
My major goal for the first milestone will be to get font output on screen, maybe have a sprite class outputting to the screen just some diagnostic nonsense Smiley

Updated: 10/01/2013
  • Created the Visual C++ 2012 Project
  • Written the GLFW + OpenGL init class
  • Written some basic math functions to calc hypotenuse, draw circles, calculate vector <-> cartesian conversions etc
  • Written the timer tick class, allows for multiple ticks at different rates
  • Created basic quads for simple output, caching them in display lists
  • Written some basic input handler code for keyboard and mouse
  • Written the (first pass of a) class that will hold all my entity information
  • Created Human & Zombie entities and started adding some basic behaviour to their logic functions
  • created basic collision detection based on bounding circles

** GitHub Repo for the Source Code
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:00:58 AM by RabidFrog » Logged

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »

I should add it'll be 2D, using quads as sprites.

Mango Man
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »

Something like Atom Zombie Smasher?
RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:10:51 PM »

Something like Atom Zombie Smasher?

Thats a little zoomed out and a lot more generalised, mine is more up close and plays like a tower defense game with units that you can move around that have specific roles.

Mango Man
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »

Ooh that's cool. Keep me posted! :D
RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:07:09 AM »

I'm learning, so i don't know the value of this, but would anyone be interested in like an SVN repository of my code as i work on it?

Just an idea

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »

Started working on the font stuff, this is my first crack at it and i know it wont be perfect, but it'll allow me to output diagnostic info directly to the screen and will aid continued development.

I fully envisage revisiting this nearer the end and doing a better job of it Wink

Here is an image of the font i'm using, and the effect i'm applying to it;

http://imagebin.org/207438

It's only meant to be clear and easy to read, i'll do something more arty later Smiley

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:21:56 AM »

Hi,
You could use this kind of software
http://www.ironstarmedia.co.uk/2010/01/free-game-dev-utility-fancy-bitmap-font-generator/
http://www.codehead.co.uk/cbfg/

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:30:08 AM »

Awesome, Going to have a look at CBFG when i get home tonight! Smiley  Looks like it could be what i need..

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:38:22 AM »

Awesome, Going to have a look at CBFG when i get home tonight! Smiley  Looks like it could be what i need..

Decided to roll with my own font solution, got a good idea whats needed, just implementing it now Smiley

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:53:04 AM »

Just Added - GitHub Repo for the Source Code (bear in mind i'm no pro (and i'm learning) Wink

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 02:24:51 AM »

Farmed out my texture loading and quad drawing to member functions of my engine class, with 6 lines of code per letter, i can now output to the screen.

Next step is to build the font class itself and get it to run through a string.  Chose a monospace font to start with, to keep it easy Smiley (consolas)

Gentleman

Code:

// The following is on a per-entity basis;
glLoadIdentity(); // Reset the matrix
glTranslatef(250, 250, 0); // Set the x,y,z co-ords
glScale(64,64,0); // Set the size on x,y,z (set to texture size as we draw the quad as a single pixel and this is a multiplier)
glRotatef(0, 0, 0, 0); // Specify rotation on x,y,z

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[0]->data); // Set the texture to use

engine->drawQuad();  // This is ripe for a display list entry as it never changes

The rest is updated on the github
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:31:56 AM by RabidFrog » Logged

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:36:00 AM »

Decided i'm going to spend a little time learning OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects instead of using Immediate Mode..

Also got a real hankering for making the GFX all ZX Spectrum like (same palette and resolution, including attribute clash!)

But that might just be misty-eyed nostalgia triggered by the humble speccy's 30th birthday  Beer!

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:26 AM »

Decided i'm going to spend a little time learning OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects instead of using Immediate Mode..

Also got a real hankering for making the GFX all ZX Spectrum like (same palette and resolution, including attribute clash!)

But that might just be misty-eyed nostalgia triggered by the humble speccy's 30th birthday  Beer!

Interesting factoid:  If you want to use Vertex Buffer Objects with SDL 1.2, you can't.  Well, you can, but you need to link in some extra libs, the easiest is GLee and the supplied libs don't work with VC++ 2010.  Luckily they allow you to include the GLee source directly in your project, so problem solved! Smiley

Now if only i could find a VBO example that works (and is less than 10 pages of code  Cheesy)

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »

Also, trying to figure out why i can't get a 3.2 context up and running is annoying the hell out of me.. Tongue

Ok, so rather embarrasingly it turns out my work pc has a HD 2000 IGP and so is limited to OpenGL 3.1 max, i'd been shooting high, so i could make sure i wasn't learning redundant code, but it seems 3.1 is plenty high enough anyway, with the bonus of being availible to a wider audience to boot.

So i have switched from SDL + OpenGL 1.2 to GLEW+GLFW + OpenGL 3.1

I have an OpenGL window running, i just need to get some rendering code in place.  Had a full on attack of RL recently, so no code in weeks, but i've got a 2 week holiday next week, fingers crossed i can knock out a chunk, maybe get some sprites flying around Smiley
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:13:18 AM by RabidFrog » Logged

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »

SQLite - whoa, I was thinking about using it too. Write later how it worked out (especially performance)

Fonts - maybe use SDL_TTF? Since you already are using SDL...

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 03:37:09 AM »

SQLite - whoa, I was thinking about using it too. Write later how it worked out (especially performance)

Fonts - maybe use SDL_TTF? Since you already are using SDL...

Performance seems fine, its essentially a file container, so as long as you keep the databases reasonably sized its ok.  you can always have multiple files with different databases ie. one for textures, one for game data etc

i come from an SQL background, so this method of file io is a dream for me Smiley

pretty soon (this week) i'll build in the sqlite stuff from my older codebase to the new GLFW one and put it on github, you'll be able to have a poke about then Smiley

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »

Nearly slipped into my old pattern of abandonment, but i pulled through! :D

Just started porting various small engine features from various small trial projects into my current framework, when they're all together and working as one, i can delete the various small projects that litter my code folder and commit a nice new one which is a step closer to helping me make my game :D

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »

For seemingly no reason, my VC++ project suddenly stopped compiling my game code, was kicking out loads of errors, some were syntax issues in gl.h!

I started a new project from scratch, ported my source files in and set it all up properly and got it working again now, but it's having issues with my sqlite abstraction class now! Sad

Basically, i'm using CppSQLite3.h but i'm wrapping it in a class of my own to make it a little easier to use, but i hate using 3rd party code as i'm not nearly as good as them and always get issues Sad

Still, progress is being made Smiley

RabidFrog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »

Hmm..  going to add a new entry, the forum reminded me;

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Guess its been a while..

Well, i have let things slide a little, but i picked up over xmas and actually started a new codebase in VC++ 2012, thats a nice IDE Smiley

Actually got some basic entities moving around with keyboard and mouse input, new years resolution is going to be to spend at least a couple of hours every night on it if i can

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic