Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:58:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNarcissus - Playable Build
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Narcissus - Playable Build  (Read 4675 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:37:24 AM »

Hello!

Narcissus is an ongoing project I have been developing over the past 6 months. On the belief that games should bring people together, Narcissus achieves this by making the levels easier  through co-operation with another person.

Play it here!
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/9768

Gifs of up to date gameplay:
MENU SCREEN

LEVEL 3

LEVEL 4

LEVEL 13

LEVEL 10 (PLAYED AT INSANE SPEED)

Most recent video build of gameplay

TESTING AND FEEDBACK:

If you would give the game a try, see how far you can get and if you are struggling, try playing with another person. Once you've finished, if you kindly would answer the following questions:

1.Did you manage to complete the game?
2.If no, which level did you reach?
3.Keyboard Layout - Alternate suggestions for controls?
4.Is the learning curve steady enough?
5.Did you find any bugs or inconsistencies in gameplay?
6.Were the characters clear enough?
7.Was the moon/sun distracting at all?
8.How did the gameplay change when a second player was introduced?
9.Did you try the different speed settings?
10.Did your characters disappear off the screen and not come back at any point?
11.What was your favorite level and why?
12.What was your least favorite level and why?

Any suggestions or other feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help and hope you enjoyed playing!

Alex
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:43:26 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:51:18 AM »

played alone, quit at level 11

U/D correspond not to up/down but to black/white which switch places and sometimes start reversed

first 10 levels felt like canabalt mirrored for no reason because i beat them by jumping in sync

first 6 levels felt like a dull canabalt because i beat them by jumping full-force every time

i don't believe that this game will bring people together because it doesn't require cooperation and restarting the level because of the other's player's death feels unfair
cplhasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:33:05 AM »

I didn't finish the game, I got to the levels where you have to start giving asymmetric input. It was neat in concept, but most of my deaths came from the characters falling out of synch with eachother (from getting stuck on a wall in a jump). If they were always synched up I think it would be better a single player game. The music was pretty good though, I have to say.
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »

Thanks for the swift and honest feedback guys!

I didn't finish the game, I got to the levels where you have to start giving asymmetric input. It was neat in concept, but most of my deaths came from the characters falling out of synch with eachother (from getting stuck on a wall in a jump). If they were always synched up I think it would be better a single player game. The music was pretty good though, I have to say.
Was it both characters catching on the walls or one specifically not jumping high enough? Originally I was going to make the characters automatically die upon impact with walls, but liked the idea of allowing the player to try and make it through the level rather than immediately killing them off. A friend of mine, Luke Smith (Listed in credits) created the music for the game. Here's a link to some of the stuff he does if you're interested! http://soundcloud.com/lethalbadger

played alone, quit at level 11

U/D correspond not to up/down but to black/white which switch places and sometimes start reversed

first 10 levels felt like canabalt mirrored for no reason because i beat them by jumping in sync

first 6 levels felt like a dull canabalt because i beat them by jumping full-force every time

i don't believe that this game will bring people together because it doesn't require cooperation and restarting the level because of the other's player's death feels unfair
Thanks for the W and B suggestion, sits nicely on the keyboard for the left hand; will definitely consider as an option for the final game!

Originally Narcissus featured a very punishing set of levels. Due to testers struggling to beat the earliest of levels, a slower learning curve was introduced. Levels 11, 13, 14 and 15* are asymmetric and require faster reaction times (shorter blocks) and obviously represent a small proportion of gameplay next to the rest of the game. I will be creating more complex and challenging levels in the coming weeks. Would you suggest refining the first 10 levels down?

*To save yourself going through the first 11 levels again, a walkthrough the levels is available on the provided video link to show the content of the last 4 levels.

pandit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »

Hey, nice game Smiley I think the first levels are way too easy, you just have to jump in sync. It becomes interesting when the characters start swaping positions (top/bottom). I think this game would benefit from being a bit more "puzzle-oriented" so to speak, not big puzzles that would slow down the speed too much, but a lil more complex mechanic that would really require two players. In any case, the learning curve is fast so I think you can remove some of the first levels.
Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »

I played alone.

1. Did you manage to complete the game?
Yes.

3. Keyboard Layout - Alternate suggestions for controls?
I think D/U was kind of weird, but maybe because I was playing alone.  I would have preferred keys with symmetric placement like A/L or something.

4. Is the learning curve steady enough?
Playing alone, I thought all the levels until the paths were asymmetric were too easy.  One or two symmetric levels would have been fine.  The first asymmetric level took me a few minutes, but then the rest went pretty quick.

If I were playing only one character, I don't think it's likely I would have ever died.

5. Did you find any bugs or inconsistencies in gameplay?
Nope.

6. Were the characters clear enough?
Since I played alone, sometimes I couldn't find one or the other fast enough when I swapped my attention on the asymmetric levels.  I don't think it would be an issue with two people.

7. Was the moon/sun distracting at all?
No, I didn't even notice they were there except after I was on the flat stretch at the end of a level and looked at the screen a little more broadly.

8. How did the gameplay change when a second player was introduced?
I only played alone.

If there were two people with the same skill level, I agree that it would be easier.  But if one player's skill was too low, I think ortoslon is right and it would frustrate the other player.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:35:41 AM »

1.Did you manage to complete the game? yes
NEW QUESTION 2: HOW MANY FRAGS??? NO FRAGS IN THIS GAME >: (
3.Keyboard Layout - Alternate suggestions for controls? its just two buttons any two
4.Is the learning curve steady enough?  sort of, not enough "not at the same time" at first
5.Did you find any bugs or inconsistencies in gameplay? dont think so, but white character felt like his legs were WEAK
6.Were the characters clear enough? yes
7.Was the moon/sun distracting at all? no
8.How did the gameplay change when a second player was introduced? i imagine this game becomes a boring breeze

it was nice for the 10 mins
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:51 PM »

Pretty fun game and like the simple gameplay aspects and visuals. Think they work well. Would work nicely on an ipad with players sitting across from each other.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »

Hello Guys!

Now that my University work is out of the way, I've updated Narcissus with the suggested updates and improvements;

Here is a list of the stuff I've added!
1. Controls have been changed from U and D to B for black and W for white so that the controls are co-ordinated using colour rather than position
2. Introduction of 5 new levels with mechanics which focus on mis-aligning the two players.
3. Refining of earlier levels due to too slow learning curve - levels are split into pairs of introducing a new mechanic then increasing the difficulty on the level after.
4. Level selection - for testers or players who can't get past certain levels can have the option to play them all by using the Level Select button to choose from 20 levels!
5. Death volumes - allow me to eliminate players on the inside as well as the outside of the track!

Hope you enjoy playing the latest version and remember to give the levels a try with someone else if you're struggling!

All feedback is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:53:06 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »

Hey Folks,

Its getting around time for me to post up Narcissus for testing again, try the latest version and let me know what your thoughts are!

Thanks and hope you have fun!

Alex

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »

I liked the game and it was fun. I played alone btw...

Yes

Nah, I think it's fine.

The first levels were really easy. I died 4 time in one of the level but other were pretty easy.

No

Yeah they were.

Nah, I didn't even know they were there...

I didn't play it with 2 players. I think it would have been too easy if I had played it with 2 players...

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »

Hey, this was pretty cool! Love the game mechanic. I played myself. Here are the responses:

no

No.

Seemed fine. It was a pretty clear progression.

no

Yes

No, not really.

Didn't get to play it with another player, but I imagine it would be a lot more fun, and also less difficult.

niorad
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 04:37:19 AM »

Not enough time, sorry
Up/Down is fine, I think I'd prefer using both hands, so maybe "T" and "N" or something further apart on the keyboard.
Fine until on Lvl 11 it gets hard quickly
On Lvl 6 my characters reached the finish line but the level didn't advance, just stayed there. Had to press ESC and do it again. Couldn't reproduce the Bug, though.
Yep
No
100%. It got easier and a completely different game. Playing two characters at once and getting good at it is like learning to play piano. With two players it's "just another jump & run"

Is there a story behind the game? Just a reason why the player/s would care to bring their characters to the next level.

Love the artwork!
Jrap
Level 0

Always be the best dressed in the room.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »

Played with boyf, got to this screen and the characters ran off the right and never came back

Nup

The one above I suppose

I have an idea. Make every key above asdfghjkl;' Move player one and every key including and below asdfghjkl;' move player two (so the keyboard is split horizontally) That way you have way more flexibility with controls.

Very much so

Apart from the one above where the player characters went on vacation, no.

Very much so.

Not at all, I'm glad they're there.

Certainly much easier, but it was fun because it lead to a lot of "oh you, you're so bad at this" moments.

arrogant.gamer
Level 0

Deep down, you probably agree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »

Awww maaan, another runner? I _hate_ runners.

I fucking _love_ this game. This is so pretty; the music matches my level of tension while playing; the mechanic is challenging and new; and the difficulty curve is great. This is a beautiful game, and it is the first runner that has made me want to make a runner (OK wait, the third: Fear Less, Derez [infinite]).

I played alone.

1. Did you manage to complete the game?
No. I usually don't finish games: my life is like an infinite runner!

3. Keyboard Layout - Alternate suggestions for controls?
My girlfriend was in the room while I was playing, but I didn't invite her to play because the arrow keys would have been really awkward for two people. You need maybe two keys on opposite sides of the keyboard as "alternate" jump buttons (I mean, up and down are great for single player).

4. Is the learning curve steady enough?
Yes. I felt it might even have been a little too kind, but probably that's OK.

If I were playing only one character, I don't think it's likely I would have ever died.
This. This is perfect. If it were any other way, I would be like "why?". Very tight.

5. Did you find any bugs or inconsistencies in gameplay?
No.

6. Were the characters clear enough?
Sure, because of the light trail. They are a little small, and your game might be a challenge for people who don't see the same way as you. I was fine.

7. Was the moon/sun distracting at all?
No. The backgrounds were gorgeous! In fact, everything was very pretty and fit your theme of reflections in a pond very nicely.

8. How did the gameplay change when a second player was introduced?
Didn't check. Make the keys better, then I will play again. (like, today: I would play again right now if you changed the keys for 2-players).

PLEASE. Don't worry about frustrating the other player. The fact that some gamers find co-operation frustrating isn't a sign that co-operation isn't fun, its a sign that we don't play enough truly co-operative games. Ironically, I think your game actually combats narcissism.

That was awesome!

Let us know when/where you publish this game, and I will tell everyone I know to go play it.

EDIT: oh is this is the published version?

z.
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »

Thanks to all recent testers! Lots of lovely comments are really appreciated - been playing this game for so long I only get fun rush when I add in a new mechanic! Anyway, answers and solutions:

Let us know when/where you publish this game, and I will tell everyone I know to go play it.
EDIT: oh is this is the published version?

This is the current online version but I will be publishing it "officially" once I've nailed down these last few bugs. I'll be starting by releasing on the standard flash websites then moving focus towards getting the iOS port done, along with a couple of other things, including a box and a potential cameo appearance for the game.

The running off the screen and never coming back issue I'm aware of, but I'm still trying to figure out what causes it on specific levels. The issue has arisen since replacing the standard level end mechanism (if a player crosses the finish line the game moves to the next level which means both players don't need to finish) with the alternate mechanism (if a player crosses the finish line, add a point - if the total number of players crossing the finish line is equal to two, the game moves to the next level). I'll crack it soon enough, but for now it's unfortunately just pressing R for reset level.

Regarding the storyline for Narcissus, it was originally loosely fitted around the original mythological tale, but I never really considered expanding it further than that. I might add a couple of pretty slides to illustrate the tale.

I have an idea. Make every key above asdfghjkl;' Move player one and every key including and below asdfghjkl;' move player two (so the keyboard is split horizontally) That way you have way more flexibility with controls.

I've tried a variety of different key bindings, and to be honest, so far they've all had pretty hefty flaws. This suggestion seems to be the most plausible out of suggestions. It's just whether there's a cap on the number of keys bound in Stencyl.

I'll add some more tomorrow but battery about to run out on device!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:09:39 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

lobstersteve
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 03:58:03 AM »

I don't think co-operative is the right term - because it's more like two players have to do their own thing flawless - which is fine too, because of shared sucess when you finish a level.

I didn't quite like the asynchronous jumping while playing alone, because it kinda requires multitasking, taking care of the two characters, which i don't like in games, but i think it would be fun to play with someone.

..it also looks really cool, when the two players run side by side and then they "switch postions" like in your last gif.
 Coffee
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 07:07:26 AM »

Hey folks!

I've updated Narcissus so that the issue of the characters running off the screen without transition is fixed. The collision boxes at the ends of the level weren't big enough. Player could jump over the regions like this:

So I fixed it by extending the collision box.

I also found a big o'l chunk of sound files that were clogging up the game, so now it's size has dropped from 14.3MB to 6.5MB. Quicker loading times for everybody!

ScaryRobotGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »

Nope.

Seventh

Arrow keys were working fine for me

Yes, the offsets seemed to come in about the right time

Nope.

Yes, no problem there.

Not to me.

Only played solo.

9.Did you try the different speed settings?
Only the default speed.

It has that sort of patting your head, rubbing your belly type feeling since you have to keep track of the characters separately.  My one suggestion would be to offset the characters slightly.  This would give the single player a better chance to quickly switch focus back and forth between the two players. 

Cbear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »

I really really love this game. I wish I could have played with a friend. I found that my favorite part is the feeling of asynchronous action that occurred but with a contradictory feeling of harmony and flow. I like the aesthetic. I'll play with a friend tomorrow ^_^
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic