Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:39:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Multimedia Fusion 2 pros and cons?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Multimedia Fusion 2 pros and cons?  (Read 10465 times)
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »

Yeah I tried the beta when it came out last year, but it was kind of let down from what it promised to do.  It was just way too buggy and I was pretty disappointed in it.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »

Getting back to the original question, making platformers in mmf2 is fucking ezy, bonesaw is a living example, if u want more I have a few prototypes laying around and my failed eegra.com attempt, with the platform object, it will take you, maybe a minuute to implement full platform movement, it wont be good as doing it all yourself, but price you pay, its usually the more complex shit that mmf2 bogs down on, you will find yourself designing games that fit into 1 frame, haha.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:00:41 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »

Yeah I tried the beta when it came out last year, but it was kind of let down from what it promised to do.  It was just way too buggy and I was pretty disappointed in it.

Try it again.  It's up to version .96.4 now.  It's a whole hell of a lot more stable than back then.  The bugs that are left are pretty minor.  In fact, I don't think there are any fatal crash bugs left, it's more about tweaking performance and adding new features now.

Still not something that you'd want to commit a full project to until version 1.0, but it should give you a better idea of where it's going.

tweet tweet @j_younger
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »

Try it again.  It's up to version .96.4 now.  It's a whole hell of a lot more stable than back then.  The bugs that are left are pretty minor.  In fact, I don't think there are any fatal crash bugs left, it's more about tweaking performance and adding new features now.

Still not something that you'd want to commit a full project to until version 1.0, but it should give you a better idea of where it's going.

Yeah, I understand that there's been a lot done to it and such, but I just cant bring myself to devote time to something that may end up screwing me over big time later on if I try to make a decent game with it.  Which is why I wonder why I'm still using MMF2...
Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 11:32:43 AM »

Can't you make global events that apply to every frame?  I seem to recall that you could in MMF 1.

To anyone using MMF who has never used a programming language, listen up.  The game begins at the first event in the event editor, then advances through each event, one at a time, until it gets to the last event, at which point it starts over again at the top.  This was never obvious to me, which is both sad and funny given how fundamental it is.

I agree MMF lets you get started quickly, but in the videos at www.scriptedfun.com/category/pygame/ it looks like pygame also makes it quick to get images on the screen and moving around.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

I think Multimedia Fusion is the best way to go, if you are an 2D Graphics designer, and want to make a game. I dont't think, that it is worth the time to learn C++ and OpenGL, to make 2D Jump n runs. The only problem is, you can only make Windows only titles, there is no way of porting it to other platforms like handhelds, mobile phones, or consoles. Imagine Knytt on PSP ... will neve be possible.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »

They ARE making a Java runtime, so it will be relatively portable.

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 02:03:14 PM »

I've tried both MF2 and Game Maker, and I'd suggest she try Game Maker first, on account of it being free/only $20. It might be a little less intuitive for non-programmer-types, but it really is a good and simple program to use and she may very well pick it up faster then she'd think. I know I did.

Another easy to use option might be something like the Sim Carnival game creator: http://tigsource.com/articles/2008/06/20/the-sims-carnival

increpare
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 05:45:22 PM »

They ARE making a Java runtime, so it will be relatively portable.
Hah; then we'll finally be able to find IWBTG appearing on casual gaming websites  :D :D :D
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic