Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:01:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 62043 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2012, 02:39:17 AM »

Dean was telling me a week or two back he was going to try his hand at entering Dust: An Elysian Tail again, so I guess Dust is going back into the IGF pot. Wewtttt!

are the sales so bad?

Ah never saw this! Yes, he sold one copy. The poor lads in bits.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2012, 05:01:26 AM »

Dean was telling me a week or two back he was going to try his hand at entering Dust: An Elysian Tail again, so I guess Dust is going back into the IGF pot. Wewtttt!

are the sales so bad?

That's a shame -- it didn't seem like my kind of thing but it clearly had a lot of effort put into it. Not that I would have bought it had I known; I only really play PC games these days.
sixteenbits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »

I noticed the IGF build uploader doesn't recognize .msi files as valid. So I had to pack my .msi in a .zip. Perhaps .msi can be added to the list of acceptable file types?

Here's a fun little random game browser I whipped up in 10 minutes: http://mwegner.com/igf2013/

Rad
st33d
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »

It doesn't recognise apps from macs either, but that's because they're technically folders. I think you're going to make judges feel a bit more secure with a zip anyway.
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »

I noticed the IGF build uploader doesn't recognize .msi files as valid. So I had to pack my .msi in a .zip. Perhaps .msi can be added to the list of acceptable file types?

Unfortunately, I finished the IGF frontend back when Filepicker only supported MIME type filtering (and not file extensions).  There are enough changes in the new API that does support file extensions that it's kind of a pain to upgrade.

ZIP file (with whatever contents) is totally fine, though!

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Dragonmaw
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »

Digging the new interface. I like that it adds games to my queue that I have downloaded or grabbed keys for, so I don't have to write down what I'm working on.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2012, 02:48:54 AM »

are the sales so bad?

That's a shame -- it didn't seem like my kind of thing but it clearly had a lot of effort put into it. Not that I would have bought it had I known; I only really play PC games these days.

lol, not sure if you are joking along with me here, but no it didn't just sell one copy, it sold well enough to justify Deans 4+ year journey with it. Slightly off-topic, but a good post-mortem just came out about it all actually: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/180520/postmortem_humble_hearts_dust_.php

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2012, 05:41:54 AM »

I have to admit that HDC's post confused me too. I've heard very little about Dust. It wasn't inconceivable that it did bad.

Glad it did well  Smiley

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »

I think it was pretty obvious that an Xbox Summer of Arcade title didn't sell just 1 copy! Tongue

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2012, 07:05:06 AM »

well I mean I thought he was being Facetious with 1 copy  Tongue. I dont have an Xbox so I didnt realize it got that kind of exposure. I didnt know whether it was a XBLIG or an XBLA.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »

Sorry folks, I should have been a bit more clear that I was just goofing hehe, but yes, we're glad it did somewhat well too! Nobody died while playing it = it did well.

st33d
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2012, 06:07:10 AM »

It didn't occur to me at the time when I linked to the browser build of my game that Google Analytics would track people coming from judges.igf.com.

Sorry about this, I've replaced the link to the browser build to go through the devlog here on TIGSource so any judges going to the browser version will have their data lost amongst the TIGSource visitors.

I would suggest that any judges wanting to try out browser versions of games should copy and paste the url. Otherwise the time they have spent on the website and their location is tracked by any Google Analytics object that's floating around in the browser - and the developer will see where they came from on igf.com.

(In case you're wondering this was prompted by a singular visit that lasted over an hour, but I also did insist that judges use the offline builds. No other visits came from the site, but at least I've shut down the automatic snooping on the judges before any more get caught.)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »

why would you go out of your way to allow them the anonymity to not bother judging your game

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »

why would you go out of your way to allow them the anonymity to not bother judging your game

Seriously now?

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »

it seems weird to me that some people's response to proof of judges not playing games is to say that obtaining proof is wrong because it might cause a negative reaction

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
st33d
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »

They're not going to judge honestly if they can't study in private. Otherwise it's just an audience vote. If I wanted an audience vote I'd be bloody rooting for a Jayisgames award instead.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »

I don't quite understand that logic. how would they even know they were being tracked by google analytics?

more developers should put some kind of usage tracking in their IGF builds and make that information public.

especially when you have cunt judges who believe they aren't obligated to play any of the games assigned to them.
sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »

i have uncovered indisputable links between the igf judges and goldman sachs, but no body wants to hear it
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »

They're not going to judge honestly if they can't study in private. Otherwise it's just an audience vote. If I wanted an audience vote I'd be bloody rooting for a Jayisgames award instead.

you think a lack of accountability makes people more honest?  Cheesy

edit: i guess we've already had this bitch fest once so i won't derail the thread any further, even if someone else wants to get the last word in or whatever, but man, that post sounded dumb, steed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:35:22 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »

i have uncovered indisputable links between the igf judges and goldman sachs, but no body wants to hear it

I do
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic