Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:48:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 61480 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »

why don't we talk about the overlooked gems of IGF 2012 instead?
since IGF is nothing but a big joke anyway

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »

I'm submitting You Have to Win the Game. I would be shocked if it were nominated for anything, but I might as well enter a game since I have one this year. Shrug

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »

This would be a useful application for this thread and I support it.
st33d
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »

Ninja
Sean Raia
Level 0

Iterate!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »

The enthusiasm astounds me.
I always figured TIGSource was a forum that was very constructive and supportive of indies in general(I lurked a lot before making an account). Some posts and attitudes here just disappoint me, and I suppose that's why a lot of indies stopped coming here. Well, no one thing is perfect, and i'm just nitpicking.
The IGF is a great thing. To me, it's less about who wins and more about seeing all the games people have been building that you've never heard about.

Wanna talk? I'm always looking to meet and network with other indies!
Shoot me an email at
[email protected]

http://seanraia.blog.com/
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »

It's highly likely that something will be getting submitted from these parts.

I'm wondering if Paul Eres will be submitting Saturated Dreamers, finally? :D

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Sakar
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »

Paul get on this
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

I've entered 3 times before and never got so much as an honorable mention... They were all different games and ones that got pretty good reception everywhere else I showed them, but I guess not what IGF was looking for. I suspect that I'm probably too disliked by TPTB to get nominated even if I submitted a good game, anyways, so fuck it. I have faith that my stuff will do alright on the market if marketed properly and IGF isn't really worth the $100 investment for such a small return, anyways.

sigfarter
Level 7

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »

best of luck to phil fish in winning his third award, he deserves it
st33d
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »

Try to keep in mind it's not just the judges that go through the games. Usually there's a lot a reviewers who are looking for a scoop on an upcoming game as well. Not to mention gamers.

You also get to find out what people really think of the game as well.

It wasn't until I entered last year that some indies started to treat me like a total cunt (and not for working at Nitrome for once).

But I also got music for the game out of it, articles and useful feedback (not the judge feedback - not incredibly useful).

Shocked Hand Thumbs Up Right
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 03:14:13 AM »

What I enjoy the most is people entering their games for the hell of it. Knowing my game would be overlooked, I wouldn't spend a dime in a competition such as this.

People, I'm restoring a house. Care to send some money my way? I would give honorable mentions to every single one of your games. And you'd help me buy a few sacks of sand/concrete and building supplies.

Yeah.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 03:36:02 AM »

he submitted it last year. that's part of why the "5 minutes" debate started.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Chris Pavia
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 05:22:22 AM »

Come on guys, the drama and whining last year was much better. Are you even trying? I need my fix!

Ninja Gomez  Ninja
nyyjen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 06:29:21 AM »

I am thinking of entering Tengami this year. It is feature complete, but still need a lot more content. What do you think how content complete a game needs to be before it makes sense to enter? We have about 30 minutes out of 4 hours of planned gameplay at the moment. Enough or too little?

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »

half the judges say one thing, half say another, but there are several games that won that weren't released for another 2+ years. plus, last year's controversy was over how little the games were played. your game looks pretty cool, you should probably just go for it!

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »

One complete level is enough.

On the subject that reminds me that I'm waiting for MONACO for almost two years now Sad

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 07:27:17 AM »

Try to keep in mind it's not just the judges that go through the games. Usually there's a lot a reviewers who are looking for a scoop on an upcoming game as well. Not to mention gamers.

You also get to find out what people really think of the game as well.

It wasn't until I entered last year that some indies started to treat me like a total cunt (and not for working at Nitrome for once).

But I also got music for the game out of it, articles and useful feedback (not the judge feedback - not incredibly useful).

Shocked Hand Thumbs Up Right

This would be my main reason for submitting. Smiley

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:02 AM »

I am thinking of entering Tengami this year. It is feature complete, but still need a lot more content. What do you think how content complete a game needs to be before it makes sense to enter? We have about 30 minutes out of 4 hours of planned gameplay at the moment. Enough or too little?

You should submit, it'll motivate you to get the game as complete and as polished as you can get it before the deadline. If you're hoping to release next year, there's the possibility that (as St33d said) even if it doesn't get anything from the competition itself, someone from a gaming website will notice it and try to find out more about it from you, which would get you pre-release exposure.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 08:23:11 AM »

nyyjen: definitely submit it. It has very unique art style. I could definitely see it winning the Best Visuals category. Just add a bit more stuff in it. Right now it looks quite a bit bland and empty from the screenshots. Adding some more colors and life to it would push it a lot Wink
Chris Pavia
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »

You should submit, it'll motivate you to get the game as complete and as polished as you can get it before the deadline.

Yeah, this is a big one for me, I'm aiming to get DH to beta before the deadline.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic