Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:03:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 61950 times)
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: March 28, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »

Their point was that IGF need to pick a route and just stick with it. Is it a competition for the best game or is it a scholarship to highlight small games no one has never heard of ?

Life sucks and then you die.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

that's up to the individual judge really. my impression, and i've said this before in this thread, is that it works like this:

for the finalists, you're more likely to become a finalist if your game is known and popular

for the actual winners, you're more likely to win if you are the least known game in your category

so basically the winners usually wind up being the "semi-known" games rather than true unknowns or the most popular game of the year

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 28, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »

it also seems like they flip flop every few years due to criticism or something

monaco wins

then minecraft and fez win (fez somewhat ironically since phish voted against smb winning cuz of an xbla deal but i digress)

now cart life wins

etc

all current information suggests that the judging process is not remotely objective. which fits if it's trying to be the indie oscars, i suppose.  Tongue

edit: i'm kinda starting to lean towards the position that it'll never be remotely objective, as there aren't really any awards shows which are. i don't know that it's worth arguing about anymore, since it's probably not possible to "fix." especially with how defensive everyone gets over it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:49:30 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: March 28, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

i don't mind awards that aren't objective; there are different kinds of biases. an award system that is biased in favor of their friends is worse than a system that is biased in favor of unknowns, or a system that is biased in favor of innovation and originality, or a system that is biased in favor of addicting gameplay

there are also smaller genre biases involved, such as a common bias against console-style rpgs (no traditional console-style rpg (a game like dragon quest or final fantasy) was ever nominated for an award and it's inconceivable that one could ever win the igf)

i think the point of criticism of the igf and discussion over its biases is *not* necessarily to ever fix the problem, but simply to make people aware of the problem so that they can make informed decisions. for instance, if someone makes games that the igf, historically, tends to ignore, they should know about it, so they don't waste the $95 fee

so there are people like hanako and cliffski who know their games won't do well in the igf and don't enter it anymore, but every year there are new suckers who believe their game could do well when it's metaphysically impossible for their game to win the igf, and those people should be warned of the biases involved

this would actually be good for the igf judges as well, since they won't have to sift through so much stuff that they would never vote for

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 28, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »

i just realized something: the igf winners page doesn't say who won narrative. who won that?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Uykered
« Reply #545 on: March 28, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

kart guy.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: March 28, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

it also seems like they flip flop every few years due to criticism or something

monaco wins

then minecraft and fez win (fez somewhat ironically since phish voted against smb winning cuz of an xbla deal but i digress)

now cart life wins

etc

all current information suggests that the judging process is not remotely objective. which fits if it's trying to be the indie oscars, i suppose.  Tongue

edit: i'm kinda starting to lean towards the position that it'll never be remotely objective, as there aren't really any awards shows which are. i don't know that it's worth arguing about anymore, since it's probably not possible to "fix." especially with how defensive everyone gets over it.

That was the point I was trying to drive at. They just really need to state exactly what the IGF is for, so everyone knows how to judge relatively and entrants know off the bat if it's worth them entering or not.

At the very least it will be consistent instead of this weird relative unknown / Indie superstar winning shit that's going on now  Lips Sealed

Life sucks and then you die.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: March 28, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »

We're getting to the point where it won't make sense to have IGF and GDC Awards as two different things, it's nice to see Spelunky, Hotline Miami, FTL and Mark of the Ninja competing against big budget titles like Mass Effect 3.

Not to mention Journey, the game with the smaller budget among the nominees, winning most of the prizes.

Great to see that people are starting to pay more attention to the game itself instead of the production values.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: March 28, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »

like most award shows, it's a marketing scam

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
cplhasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:58 AM »

there are also smaller genre biases involved, such as a common bias against console-style rpgs (no traditional console-style rpg (a game like dragon quest or final fantasy) was ever nominated for an award and it's inconceivable that one could ever win the igf)

Can you name any indie RPG that was executed as well as for example Super Meat Boy was as a platformer? When you're working in such a well defined genre you need exceptional execution to stand out, or you need to step slightly outside the genre (like Fez).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: March 29, 2013, 07:12:30 AM »

@cplhasse: sure,

for consoles-style rpgs: barkely shut up and jam, the spirit engine 2, the way, exit fate, sword of jade, cute knight, cthulhu saves the world, recettear, the aveyond series

for western-style rpgs: the geneforge series, avadon, and the avernum series

i haven't been keeping up with indie games in recent years so others may know more (check out http://indierpgs.com/ for full coverage of indie rpgs), but i'd consider all of the ones i named to be better rpgs than super meat boy is a platformer. in particular, it'd put geneforge 2 in my top 10 games that i've ever played, in any genre.

cplhasse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 29, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »

That's high praise, but maybe you don't hold Meat Boy in as high regard as I do.

I'll check out some of the games you mentioned though.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: March 29, 2013, 07:43:40 AM »

i liked super meat boy; i never actually finished the game, but i got to world five or so. i think it's pretty good; i wouldn't put it in the top 10 of platformers ever, but definitely in the top 100. i'd put it around the level of ninja gaiden 2 and rescue rangers (both for nes). it's no super mario bros 3, but it compares pretty well against second-tier platformers

geneforge 2 on the other hand, despite having pretty terrible graphics (vogel really needs to get a competent artist), has a far better story, gameplay, world, setting, etc., than pretty much any other rpg that i can think of. as far as i have played, the AAA industry hasn't made a RPG in the last few decades that's even comparable to it; the last that i can think of was planescape torment back in the 90s.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #553 on: March 29, 2013, 08:29:13 AM »

vogel really needs to get a competent artist

He did. Look at Avadon and the Avernum remake.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »

i've played those. i would not call that art very good. it's better, but still amateur. in particular the sprite size proportion to the screen size is still quite poor. compare these two:

https://impulsestore.gamestop.com/images/product_gfx/avadon_ss(3).jpg - avadon

http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/g/geneforge_4-_rebellion-184632-2.jpeg - geneforge 4

the first of those is obviously better than the second of those, and a big improvement. but neither of those is what i'd call good graphics.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #555 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »

It's about on par with old-school RPGs, so I'm okay with it.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #556 on: March 29, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

that depends on how old school you want to get, but i wouldn't even say that avadon's visuals are on par with baldur's gate or fallout 1 yet. and those are like 20 years ago. avadon's graphics are better than like, the early ultima games though, yeah

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 29, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »

was legend of grimrock entered? if it was and wasn't a finalist for anything, that's pretty crazy

dum why u erase post

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: March 29, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »

Grimrock is one of the best games I've played last year. So underrated.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: March 29, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »

was legend of grimrock entered? if it was and wasn't a finalist for anything, that's pretty crazy

dum why u erase post
searching google for "site:igf.com grimrock" found nothing, so probably not.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic