Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:18:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2013
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2013  (Read 62051 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »

i wish more people would take caruso's perspective (that drama is entertaining). too often i see people saying stuff like drama is below the dignity of human beings or of tigsource and it's like hasn't that person ever watched a soap opera, or read the relationships column in a newspaper, or watched a talk show? drama is inherently entertaining, that's why it's called *drama*, something to watch. about 90% of the reason people participate in or read drama threads is that they're fun. acting like drama is this terrible thing that we should avoid is kind of "pretentious" (in the actual use of that term and not the anti-intellectual use)

that said i don't think fish entering a *new* game rather than fez is all that dramatic. lots of previous winners enter new games: edmund, derek, etc. all do it

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2012, 07:50:17 AM »

Actually I forgot, not everything about his game seems bad because the soundtrack seems pretty good. Wouldn't be surprised if it's responsible for 90% of the "atmosphere" stuff.

Deadline is October 17? Maybe next year lol.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2012, 08:20:27 AM »

i might enter a thing or two.

that said i don't think fish entering a *new* game rather than fez is all that dramatic. lots of previous winners enter new games: edmund, derek, etc. all do it

yeah that's like...whatever, man

play hydlide 2
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »

FEZ the director's cut
you can't find this version on XBLA!!! (because it's too expensive to publish)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »

So, to derail the drama train, what are people's experiences with submitting? Do you submit early and update often, or wait until the last possible moment so you can put your best foot forward, then keep working and updating as you go?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »

So, to derail the drama train, what are people's experiences with submitting? Do you submit early and update often, or wait until the last possible moment so you can put your best foot forward, then keep working and updating as you go?

A note here:  With the new system, entries are created and edited as an ongoing process (and then you eventually flip a big green "submit" switch).  I'd highly recommend creating an entry if you're just thinking about entering, because you can at least glance at the requirements.  It's pretty basic stuff--description, judge notes, etc--but it's super easy to edit it at any time, and then when you're ready to roll make payment and actually submit the game.

New system backend starts here, if you're curious:  http://submit.igf.com/

I'm the solo developer on the new tech--always happy to hear workflow/etc feedback if anyone has suggestions!

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »

A note here:  With the new system, entries are created and edited as an ongoing process (and then you eventually flip a big green "submit" switch).  I'd highly recommend creating an entry if you're just thinking about entering, because you can at least glance at the requirements.  It's pretty basic stuff--description, judge notes, etc--but it's super easy to edit it at any time, and then when you're ready to roll make payment and actually submit the game.

I'm the solo developer on the new tech--always happy to hear workflow/etc feedback if anyone has suggestions!

Just taking a cursory glance through this, it looks quite slick. I like it.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »

hi phil. how are you.
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

At least on my browser, when I click on things to edit them the fill-in box is so tiny that only a few top pixels of the text can be seen, so it has to be typed blind. It shows up okay after 'Save' though
wademcgillis
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

What's glumbusters?
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »

It's an atmospheric platformer where you start off on the left side of a single screen, and then experience the immersive magic of watching your character move pixel-by-pixel toward the right side of said screen. Even though it has been hailed as an indie masterpiece, admittedly things start a little slow until around the third hour of the game, when you finally make it to the center of the single screen. Only then, my friend, does the true experience begin.
Moczan
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »

It's a game that people try to pass as better than Cave Story and I'm still not sure if that's an old inside joke or what?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »

nah i actually think it's really good

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »

What's glumbusters?

http://www.tigsource.com/2009/04/27/glum-buster/
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5951.0

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »

hi paul. how are you.
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »

Hey,thanks Matthew, will check it out tonight Smiley

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2012, 03:00:35 AM »

I'm torn whether to enter or not - mostly because of the "intention to release it within 12 months of the ceremony" thing that's coming in now coupled with the game being in early development. I would really hope that I'd finish it within that 12 months but sometimes things don't always go as planned.

So, not sure whether to hold out until the next IGF; I'll have to evaluate how things are going closer to the submission deadline I guess.

Excited to see what games pop up this year though.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2012, 04:25:10 AM »

Now you need to have the "intention to release it within 12 months of the ceremony" ?

Not sure if that will work, for instance, I'm quite sure that Phil Fish had the intention to release Fez within 12 months of the ceremony, just like Monaco and almost every indie game out there.

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:44 AM »

I'm torn whether to enter or not - mostly because of the "intention to release it within 12 months of the ceremony" thing that's coming in now coupled with the game being in early development. I would really hope that I'd finish it within that 12 months but sometimes things don't always go as planned.

So, not sure whether to hold out until the next IGF; I'll have to evaluate how things are going closer to the submission deadline I guess.

Use the submission deadline to crank out as much work on the game as you can, re-evaluate where you are at the week before the deadline (or at the beginning of October, to give you another couple of weeks to crank in as much _more_ work as you can before the submission deadline). Smiley

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »

Use the submission deadline to crank out as much work on the game as you can, re-evaluate where you are at the week before the deadline (or at the beginning of October, to give you another couple of weeks to crank in as much _more_ work as you can before the submission deadline). Smiley

Yeah that's what I'm gonna try. I've booked 2 weeks before the deadline off work and I plan to just grind out as much stuff as possible in the first week then spend the second polishing, or something along those lines. Should be fun Grin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic